What color is/was zamac?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by gorgo2, Apr 8, 2018.

1. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I stripped the paint from my Clix metal head, then fine-grit sanded a few rough spots. That took off what plating it had before, whereupon I discover the metal, all over, has a decided bluish cast, almost a very pale gunmetal tone. Both cap and base do. Handsome looking but unusual. Is that a typical zamac color from the era?

It's my favorite DE so hopefully it isn't cobalt.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
  2. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

From what I've seen it's just gray, like aluminum, but I don't think I've ever sanded or polished any.

gorgo2 likes this.
  3. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

AGHisBBS and gorgo2 like this.
  4. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

Cobalt isn't blue.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

gorgo2 likes this.
  5. RyX

RyX DoH!

polished Hot Wheel.gif
    It's shiny! There are different mixes used depending on the performance needs of the finished product. (Video of stripping paint and polishing HERE)

gorgo2 and TobyC like this.
  6. kfbrady

kfbrady Well-Known Member

Zamak is a "family" of metals, comprised of varying amounts of Zinc, Aluminium, Magnesium, And Kupfer (German for Copper).

But it's mostly Zinc and looks like zinc; dull greyish silver.

AGHisBBS, gorgo2, Taipan and 3 others like this.
  7. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Hmm. Will post a pic.

TobyC and RyX like this.
  8. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

I have a handle, probably from a german clone, and it's a dark grey with bluish hints to it. I think it depends on the alloy, as has already been mentioned. The base colour for zinc is silver grey. If I see any more ingots at one of my customers, I'll take pictures. They've had barrels and HUGE two+ foot square ingots of the stuff come through their warehouse regularly.

AGHisBBS, TobyC, gorgo2 and 1 other person like this.
  9. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Unplated Zamak

[​IMG]

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

TobyC, gorgo2 and RyX like this.
  10. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

On the front porch in natural light. The bluish-ness is more pronounced inside for some reason. Talking about the overall tone, not the dark patches--those may be just badly mixed zamac because it does not sand away.

[​IMG]

AGHisBBS, jmudrick and TobyC like this.
  11. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Yeah I'd consider the North Shore or Delta Echo route. I'll eventually do that with my grungy Rotbart. Yours does look better than mine though.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk