What did I get for my $30

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by thomthom49, Mar 7, 2011.

1. thomthom49

thomthom49 New Member

Guys did I get a 1931 Goodwill in my latest relapse into RAD? Been wanting one of these, I hope my ID was correct. But would I also be correct in thinking it is a #175?

Goodwill.jpg

2. Sailinblues

Sailinblues Well-Known Member

It looks to me like a "New", Black and Red set. (app 1934?) Great Shavers btw...

3. thomthom49

thomthom49 New Member

Thanks for that. Ther's an odd picture in the Compendium that seems to misidentify this razor at least in respect of the handle. Take a look. :confused:

Attached Files:

4. dgamby

dgamby Active Member

Well I think we can safely say that it is gorgeous! Nice pick up.

5. Jaymo

Jaymo Active Member

Nice score. I'd pay 30 bux for that and not think twice.

6. brucered

brucered New Member

you got the one i wanted. i think i was bidding against you ::duel

7. brucered

brucered New Member

nope, sorry this was the one i was after:

8. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Because yours is in the red and black case, it's almost assuredly not the Goodwill variant you're referring to pictured in the Compendium but is a "Red And Black Forty-nine Cent Special" NEW as seen in my collection here and in Achim's collection here. Look at page Gillette 1-8 in the Compendium and you'll see the Goodwill heads at the bottom of the page, as well as page Gillette 2-6 in the Gillette Part Two section of the Compendium. Also a good reference for Goodwills, since you're a member over there too, is this thread at B&B.

9. RocketMan

RocketMan Active Member

YouareTheJody - I have never seen a shipper for the R&B New - thnx for the pic!

10. ocharlas

ocharlas Well-Known Member

Yup. This was one of the first safety razors I bought, and they are indeed great shavers. Looks like it's in great shape too, nice get! was it an antique store type find or an ebay buy?

11. thomthom49

thomthom49 New Member

Thanks for that info Jody. Mine isn't as nice as yours by a long stretch but everyone that has shaved with one says they are a nice shave so that's what mine will be doing for me. I'll put the case away and keep it safe and hang the razor on my rack for use.

I picked up a FB G3 today on French Ebay for 21 Euros and it came with 3 brushes. Two were bakelite and one was wood. One of the bakelite looks to be badger as well. I'll probably keep the FB and add to my rack as well. Not too bad a price I recon.

Oh by the way I sold the Essor to a member on B&B. Got very good money for it I thought and he was pleased to get it. I'm not a collector like you, just an enthusiast, so it's value way overshadowed wanting to keep it in house. Anyway, that was one lucky deal. I'm over in France in a couple of weeks and plan to hit every junk shop and flea market I can find. Maybe I'll get lucky again.

I don't know if I told you before but my mother is from Mississippi. That makes it a cool place in my book. I've been there many times in my childhood.

Thom

12. IAmTheJody

Yes, many people enjoy the shaves given by the long-tooth NEW. I personally don't like the shaves and I think it's because of the long teeth. I've shaved with a short-tooth NEW before and it was a fine shave.

You certainly did well with that Essor, considering what you paid for it. I know I was surprised by the bidding since I'd never before seen anyone say anything about an Essor before in my whole time in wet shaving. It just didn't seem like it was on anyone's radar for collecting or shaving but I guess it was. But since amish bought it, there must be something to it.

Tell mom if she ever comes back home, bring lots of Palmolive shave sticks! :happy108

13. thomthom49

thomthom49 New Member

Can you not get Palmolive shave sticks in Ole Miss? If not send me a PM with a mailing address> I can buy them here a dime a dozen.

14. IAmTheJody

Nope. Palmolive shaving products are no longer available in the good Ole Miss or USA, unless it's from one of the online wet shaving vendors who have imported it themselves, which means they cost $6.00, $7.00 each before shipping depending on which vendor you buy from. I buy mine from an eBay seller in Scotland whom I "met" at B&B and he's been my go-to guy for most Euro shaving products.

He sells the Palmolive sticks on eBay 2 sticks for £1.80 (.90 P each?) plus £1.50 postage which totals to about $5.33 USD. So I get 2 sticks for less than what US vendors want for 1 stick before shipping costs.

I've been meaning to ask him what postage would be on a 10-pack of Palmolive sticks. They come bundled in 10-packs from what I've seen. Hmmmm. So funny that my absolute favorite shaving soap in the world is not a high dollar hoity-toity soap.. but Palmolive shave stick. :happy102

15. thomthom49

thomthom49 New Member

I know what you mean. My favorite soap is Ingrams which costs me £2 a tube. Mind you I do like Valobra as well in the Almond flavour. I keep trying different ones but I seem to like Ingrams. But then, when I used a can of foam I always liked Noxema menthol. So there you are. Let me know if you need anything from the UK and I'll be happy to get it for you. I'll check on the 10 pack of Palmolive and the postage for you.:cool: