What do those little numbers really mean?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by tsenfw, Oct 15, 2008.

1. tsenfw

tsenfw Member

So I had my first DE shave with a Gillette slim adjustable last night. I had it on a setting of 2. It was shaving well but really couldn't even feel the blade so I had no real feedback. Coming from straights, this was kind of aggravating lol. I turned the adjustment to 4 and it was a little better.

So the higher the number on Gillette adjustables, the more aggressive cut?

Also, what is exactly happening with the adjustment? Is the blade being pushed up in the middle so it curves more and gives a more aggressive angle?

PS. Still was an awesome, pretty close, Zero irritation, shave.

2. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

Yup!

You are on the right track, but it's the other way around. There is a "platform" that gets lowered as your turn the dial to a higher number, opening the gap between the blade edge and the safetybar.

3. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

So, is it just the gap that opens? Does the blade angle stay the same?

4. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

The angle changes too, it's steeper at lower numbers. But, AFAIK, it's the gap that determines the level of aggression.

5. tsenfw

tsenfw Member

Thanks for the answer!

If the platform lowers and the gap increases then the blade angle would increase in the direction towards 90 degrees to the face.

Having a mental block moment.
    In terms of edge only, not taking into account the safety bar. Which edge is more aggressive on the skin? One at like say 25 degrees ... or one at like 75 degrees?

6. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

90 degrees to the face would be a very bad angle, not cutting, but scraping. Think how you would hold a straight razor to you face...

7. tsenfw

tsenfw Member

I was referring to the direction of the angle not actually 90 degrees! lol

Had a mental block but it's gone now. The higher the blade angle degree towards 90 degrees, the more aggressive. Within reason of course.

8. Hi there,

Don't listen to those other members..........all that mumbo jumbo stuff about gap and angles and lowered platforms will just confuse things.

Just remember that you can get a 5x faster shave with the razor set on #5, than set on #1. Of course, the same things true about shaving 9 times faster with the setting all the way up.

So yeah, it's more of a thing to use if you're in a hurry. Usually I set mine on #3, if I want a nice leisurely shave without rushing.

I have no idea what the heck those other members were talking about, but it sounds cult like to me.

Welcome to this place, and remember the old adage about free advice........you get what you pay for.........heh. Hope you didn't mind me having a little fun with you.
    Martin

9. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

So, how many times faster is the shave on setting #7 than on setting #5? :whacky011

10. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

I was never good at "new" math, either! :happy102

11. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

1.4 times faster.

12. riffin

riffin Active Member

Depends on the mechanism. The Progress clamps the blade between the base and the top plate and hold it steady through the adjustment range. The exposure increases, but the flex/angel of the blade stays the same. My Personna Precision adjustable works the same way but it used a separate knob for adjusting.

I have a Doehler-Jarvis adjustable three piece that has a flat spring medal plate welded to the base along the center line. Instead of being clamped by the base, the blade is clamped by this plate. Tightening changes the flex of the plate and the blade. The top of the handle is notched and there are markings around the center whole to indicate the setting.

13. Whew........

Thanks, I owe you one.....heh.

Johan? that was very evil..........

14. Pokerstar

Pokerstar New Member

Wait, no one told me there would be math involved. I quit.

As my Mom once told me, There are 3 types of people in this world....

Those that understand math,

And those that don't

15. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

I disagree almost entirely. Speed has nothing to do with it in my opinion.

16. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

I thought it was 40% faster... :whacky098

17. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

Eh... I was told there are 10 types of people!

Those who know binary, and those who don't!

18. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

Indeed! This specific question refered to Gillette Slim.

19. riffin

riffin Active Member

Opps! Sorry!

20. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

No need to be sorry! It's great to know more stuff, it was merely a clarification from my side.