What in the world did I buy this time - part 2

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Darkbulb, Nov 22, 2014.

1. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

@GDCarrington

Received them this Saturday.
    The silver one I was curious about seems to work well - but will need some work to shine up I think.

Here are some snaps of it. Not sure if that's enough to identify it?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

178-bplatoon and GDCarrington like this.
  2. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

1941 Ranger Tech. Clean in very warm water with Dawn liquid and polish with a gentle polish.

3. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Thanks! I was hoping it would be. '41 - always wanted a semi-rare Gillette :)
    I should be getting my polish tomorrow so we'll see how well it cleans up.

GDCarrington and Spud like this.
  4. Mr. Droid

Mr. Droid Well-Known Member

The Ranger and Sheraton are great finds. I badly want both of those, but I kept getting outbid in the last second. Seriously... the literal, single final second. I had to finally step away. Once am outbid, I do not bid again. I put in my best price and let fate take over. Raising your bid is a sure path to auction fever... and that is only good for the seller.
    I would love to find a mechanically solid pair like this to have restored. Maybe I will start chasing Gillettes again after I find all the Schick, Gem, Ever-Ready and weird Russian plastic TTO razors that I'm seeking... and after I get a nice 'Above 'Em All' Eagle set, and maybe a couple other lather catchers...

178-bplatoon likes this.
  5. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Hang in there Mr. Droid, it took me "ALOT" of time and "ALOT" of searching on ebay to find my Ranger and Sheraton. I think your bidding policy is a good one, it's the way I tend to bid also, so as not to get in a biding war. :)

6. Mr. Droid

Mr. Droid Well-Known Member

It really is the way to go. When I find something I am interested in, or even things that seem to be going for unusually high prices, I always check the bid history. It is pretty surprising how often a high priced item will show 2 buyers, bidding it up like crazy... and often there is another example listed... one guy could have walked away and bid on the second one...but nope! Auction fever. You know those guys have fallen in love with those pics. This world has narrowed to that ONE item... and I have been there.
    Another thing I have been seeing more of lately, is low start bid/reasonable buy it now items. People bid instead of just using BIN, and ultimately end up paying more than the BIN price in the end. I had an item listed a couple months ago with a .99ยข start, $50 BIN. A guy bid, which makes the buy it now vanish. He ended up winning the lot... for $148. That is a plan gone wrong!

178-bplatoon likes this.
  7. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Yes people get all excited about bidding, I know I did when I first started. :) Now I always check items for prices, reviews etc. from multiple auctions and/or sites if possible or I get price opinions from members here at TSD. Many times even with a bidding auction I'll email the vendor and make a BIN offer I think is fair. Of course you need to be first in to do that. All the vendor can say is no, he/she can't eat you. If the vendor say's no I just make my BIN offer my max bid and let fate decide. One thing I have learned is that there is always another item coming down the road. :happy088:

8. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Well, 12 razors for $60 - two of them being the Sheraton and the '41 Ranger Tech I think I did pretty well.
    There's another 4-5 razors in the lot I was also curious about/wanted/never tried before - the rest are going to my December PIF :)