What is it about Pinaud Special Reserve?

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by McGrande, Mar 3, 2017.

1. McGrande

McGrande Well-Known Member

I've tried using this a few times now and I can't figure out what it is I'm smelling. I love Clubman and VIBR but can't get my nose around SR. I wouldn't be able to do a review on it as I can't describe what I'm smelling. It's kind to my skin although not much of a burn....and I do like a burn.

Those of you with olfactory skills that can detect subtle notes of scent, help me out here. To my nose it smells like a wet basement sometimes or something mechanical if that makes any sense. It does change after contact with the skin somewhat but still not pleasing to me. I'll try it again tomorrow but my expectations are low.

RaZorBurn123 and RyX like this.
  2. RyX

RyX DoH!

Demidog, RaZorBurn123 and McGrande like this.
  3. McGrande

Thank you. I'll go exploring.

BTW, great site. Looks like I have some reading to do. :signs001:

Demidog, RaZorBurn123 and RyX like this.
  4. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Smells like leather to me.

5. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I do not know exactly what the scents in the blend are....... but taken all together it is a big ole bottle of awesome sauce to me.

6. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I've been very happy with it so far. It's like "Ed Pinaud Meets The Wild West".

Ijustmissedthe50s, RyX and Demidog like this.
  7. McGrande

Well, I tried it again this morning and I'm not getting the same scent sensation that I did when last used in early February of this year. I kind of like it today. Not bad at all. Seems to be long lasting as I'm still smeling it. Maybe it's because I checked out the website RyX suggested and have a better idea of what I'm smelling. Maybe I had a sinus congestion in February. In any case, I'm glad I gave it another go. Thanks for the feedback fellas!

RaZorBurn123, Paul Turner and RyX like this.
  8. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

This will be no help sorting out the scent, but it reminds me of the Aramis my grandfather used to wear.

9. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

It smells like Indiana Jones using shoe polish on his old leather boots.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

McGrande and RyX like this.
  10. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    It grows on you...

Shaveathon and McGrande like this.
  11. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

One of my favorites. Manly, woodsy, outdoors scent to me. Reminds me of hikes in Acadia National Park.

Paul Turner likes this.
  12. David W650

David W650 Active Member

To me it reminded me of leather & tobacco and it lasted all day long. An a little goes a long way.

Unfortunately, it just didn't seem to work for me.

BTW, bassnotes is a great resource!

Paul Turner and RyX like this.
  13. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Too strong for me. I tried it once, and might try it again, when the wife isn't around. It reminds me a little of the Vegital.

14. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Happy Smells to YOU!
    [​IMG]

15. Paul Turner

Id say more manly than the Veg(granted, I have not tried the Veg, but it doesn't strike me as being "manly".)

16. DaltonGang

I'm definitely not one of the Veg Chosen, and the Special Reserve reminds me of The Veg. I'll try to sneak a dose of Researve past the wife, this weekend, and see what the reaction will be.

RyX and mrchick like this.
  17. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I have visions of this[​IMG]

18. Paul Turner

Would you say Special Reserve is more like the Veg to you than, say, Clubman Original Scent?

DaltonGang and RyX like this.
  19. RyX

RyX DoH!

It's strong stuff. Try a drop on an easy to wash skin surface. If it passes inspection next time you can up the dose to begin building her tolerance.

Pinaud doesn't skimp on power. While Special Reserve is deep smokey leather, and Clubman is Barbershop with a big B, The Veg is a scent all it's own. Lilac, yes. It's the musk that the Unchosen can't deal with.

wchnu and Paul Turner like this.
  20. DaltonGang

It smells similar to The Veg, just a little more rugged. Very strong stuff.
    No similarities to Clubman Original.

RyX likes this.