What is it about Pinaud Special Reserve?

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by McGrande, Mar 3, 2017.

1. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I'll just try a little dab next time.

RyX likes this.
  2. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Rugged is a good adjective for SR, that's for sure.

RyX likes this.
  3. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

I am not getting any scent similarity between the two. I like the Reserve but, boy, the Veg is something else.:scared011:

RyX likes this.
  4. RyX

RyX DoH!

Yes, Sir. Clubman is old fashion Barbershop. Special Reserve is "Clubman" by Pinaud but doesn't seem related. The Veg is Heroic.

Redrock likes this.
  5. Shaveathon

Shaveathon Member

I don't see any similarities to The Veg at all. Special Reserve starts out as a perfumey floral and turns into a big masculine hunk of leather and tobacco (although that's not one of the notes listed here on Fragrantica: https://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/Pinaud-Clubman/Clubman-Special-Reserve-27321.html)

i find it interesting that Basenotes and Fragrantica readers are starting to recognize the Pinaud/Clubman line a bit more and are actually digging it! When I first bought this I had an indifferent attitude at first until that great dry down hit me. There's a fellow on another forum who has some great formulas for some homemade aftershaves. He has one mixing this with English Leather and something else and I have a feeling it smells great. I like Special Reserve so much (and I've become something of a fraghead with a pretty large collection of current and classic edt's) that I bought a 2nd bottle.

I suggest decanting all Clubman aftershaves. Take them out of those plastic bottles and pour them into glass bottles with orifice reducers (pour regulators). The plastic has a stale smell and it transfers to the aftershaves.

RyX likes this.
  6. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I just received a bottle from a friend and I really like, but my wife on the fence. I find it has these traits;
    Leather
    Mossy
    Hardwood cut in the wood shop

Redrock likes this.
  7. RyX

RyX DoH!

:signs011:
    After you empty the juice into a glass bottle of your choice the labels can be moved. Make sure the outside of the new bottle is free of any spilt product. Fill the empty Pinaud bottle with water up to or over the label. Microwave in 10 or 15 second bursts until the glue softens. If the label has any metallic components there may be sparks and a slight change to the shiny bits. Be cautious as the bottle gets soft & the water will be near boiling. Quickly move the label to the new container before the glue cools. Voila! (Wala, or Ta-da for non French reading/speaking folks)
    Pinaud Products.gif

178-bplatoon likes this.
  8. Shaveathon

Shaveathon Member

I'm guessing you leave the cap off of the bottle when in the microwave. I've tried it but it seemed impossible to get the label off. I had no problem Aqua Velva bottles just by filling the bottles with hot tap water, but the Clubman glue is extra tough, even when microwaving If the plastic does melt even a little, it becomes even harder.

9. RyX

RyX DoH!

Been a little while, but I think I put the caps on when I microwaved. The bottles get soft and it kept the hot water inside and off my hands. Mine all came off easily and intact.

10. DaltonGang

I shaved and put on the Pinaud Special reserve, around 2:30 PM. It will be 2-3 hrs. before the wife is home, so that should give it time to calm down. I'll see what her reaction will be. I wont tell her anything. Boy, this stuff is STRONG.

RyX likes this.
  11. RyX

RyX DoH!

It took a little looking, but I found a review that gives a positive description about S.E. The reviewer didn't say he liked it, but the scent description is fairly accurate.
    ->HERE

12. DaltonGang

Well, 3 1/2 hours to cool down, before the wife came home. She said "Mmmm, I like it, it's sweet, and mild smelling". ??????? The daughter liked it too. I'm still not crazy over it. But, maybe it will grow on me. Next, over the weekend, I'll hit her with the full force of it, and see what she thinks.

Enrico, mrchick and RyX like this.
  13. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Good stink.

RyX likes this.
  14. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

My first bottle arrived in the mail today. I'll give it a spin tomorrow.

RyX likes this.
  15. RyX

RyX DoH!

Glad she liked it in a somewhat faded dose. Hope she can handle it full strength!
    What do you think about it?

16. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

The stuff is awesome!

wchnu likes this.
  17. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

This is the cologne that Indiana Jones would wear. Absolutely.

wchnu and RyX like this.
  18. DaltonGang

It's a little strong for my liking. I like aftershaves that don't make me smell like I took a bath in the stuff. I have a very sensitive sense of smell.

RyX likes this.
  19. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I used the Special Reserve for the first time today. The wife sniff test received a thumbs up. I will continue to use it

RyX, Enrico and DaltonGang like this.
  20. McGrande

McGrande Well-Known Member

I used it again today and I'm liking it. Hadn't used it since March 7th. It is strong for sure. The wife likes it too!

RyX likes this.