What is it about Pinaud Special Reserve?

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by McGrande, Mar 3, 2017.

1. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Well, I hit my wife with a full dose of Special Reserve, and she didn't like it. Way to strong. She likes it aired out for several hours.

RyX likes this.
  2. RyX

RyX DoH!

I find that all Pinaud products are full on powerful. I keep a small bottle of Everclear around as it's just straight up alcohol. Great for cleaning vintage tobacco pipes. You might try thinning your S.R. out with alcohol, or maybe adding a few drops to witch hazel for a lighter dosage. Good that you both enjoy, just gotta figure out her comfort zone.

DaltonGang likes this.
  3. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Oh, don't get me wrong. I'm not very fond of this stuff, I have so much more that I truly like. She just thought she liked it, after it was aired out several hours. I can see a PIF for this stuff coming soon. The "Everclear" dilution is a clever idea.

RyX likes this.
  4. GooseCretian

GooseCretian Member

This is what Special Reserve smells like....[​IMG][​IMG]

5. banks741938

banks741938 Well-Known Member

Tried it once at the barbershop after a neck shave.... kinda made me sick to my stomach. I love clubman but no so much on this one.

DaltonGang likes this.
  6. David W650

David W650 Active Member

You nailed it!

7. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Old thread? But if I can wear the Veg, I'm pretty confident that i can wear this without any issues:)

RyX, mrchick and Bama Samurai like this.
  8. RyX

RyX DoH!

Have you tried other Pinaud products? I've seen a sampler that offers 3 or 5 different very small bottles. I've found I like my two recently acquired, Citrus Musk & Lime Sec, as much as Osage, Clubman, Special Reserve, or The Veg.
    Only I haven't picked up are the Vanilla & VIBR.

mrchick likes this.
  9. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Clubman, VIBR, and the Veg are all I'm my rotation. The lime sec sounds good, but any lime as I've come across so far lasts less then 5 minutes. The vanilla sounds too much like it would smell like a bakery :eek:
    I've pretty much convinced myself that the sr would fit my macho personally :rolleyes:

mrchick, Bama Samurai and RyX like this.
  10. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Citrus Musk is excellent, and lasts a while. I am not in to Bay Rum scents, but love Veg and use Clubman AS on occasion, hair tonic almost daily.

Spyder and mrchick like this.
  11. RyX

RyX DoH!

Special Reserve is a full bodied all day scent.
    S.R.>Avon Leather or English Leather.

I've found Citrus Musk to last longer on me than Lime Sec. Just a property of lime EO that is fades quickly. Could be they use less in the mix. There are issues with the concentrated oil and increased risk of sun burn.

I just applied both Lime Sec & Citrus Musk to compare longevity. Fresh out of the bottle on my inner wrist, L.S. is sharper like the scent from the rind while C.M. is sweeter like Limeaid.

After a few minutes I'll finish this post...

...20 minutes later.
    L.C. nearly faded away but still there, still a sharper limeness.
    C.M. dried down takes on a slight talc powder scent to join the sweet lime.

Eau de Quinine? I sniffed a bottle month or more ago. Don't recall the scent, but I don't remember not liking it. One review on basenotes suggests,"a soapy, powdery, fruity scent that reminds me of Dr. Pepper or cherry cola."

Spyder and mrchick like this.
  12. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Clubman Tonic, Vitalis, Osage and Jeris are hair products.

Spyder, RyX and mrchick like this.
  13. capsfanx

capsfanx Well-Known Member

I use Jeris Hair tonic with oil. I have dry scalp , fought it as long as I can remember. Started using the Jeris about 2 months ago and my scalp is probably best it's ever been. No issues now. Wish I would have discovered it years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder, RyX and mrchick like this.
  14. Shaveathon

Shaveathon Member

Very well said. I was unsure of it until my 3rd or 4th use and then it just felt right. I'll even splash it on after s shower.

I don't see much of a similarity to Vegetal. The top note of The Veg takes a bit of getting used to but it's worth it for the dry down. As someone mentioned, Special Reserve is like a combo of leather and tobacco. I picked up two bottles a few years ago when Walgreens.com had a discount code. I paid about $4.35 per bottle. Another shaving forum has a nice homebrew recipe that mixes Special Reserve with English Leather. I'd like to try it.

If you want to read some good descriptions of Special Reserve, check Fragrantica:
    https://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/Pinaud-Clubman/Clubman-Special-Reserve-27321.html

My favorite review is the first one in this screen capture from the Walgreens.com site:

[​IMG]

Spyder, RyX, mrchick and 1 other person like this.
  15. RyX

RyX DoH!

Interesting idea. I'll try that one. I picked up a fat bottle of English Leather NIB from a junk shop but haven't worn it much for it's light scent.
    Just clued to Tabac shave soap & E.L. AS combo. Adding a bit of S.R. should increase the longevity and give it the Indiana Jones vibe.

mrchick and Spyder like this.
  16. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

All nice reviews, but I'll go with "Old School Cool" for 50, please.

Spyder and RyX like this.
  17. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I really enjoy the smell, not sure why, but it's great!

Spyder likes this.
  18. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Can't be shy and wear it, it's bold

Spyder likes this.
  19. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I do have a bottle of English leather. Is the sr similar?
    Of course I should quit analyzing and belly up and buy the bottle....

20. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Clubman Pinaud Special Reserve after shave is a rather complex fragrance upon first splash (DO NOT over-splash with this one) with heavy top-notes of base dark spice and ceylon cinnamon along with pine sap.

Mid-notes offer up a heavier smoldering amber ember, well-worn leather, balsam fir and mandarin orange. It stays that way through a fairly long and subtle "fade-out" dry-down. This is a surprisingly potent composition from House of Pinaud ... a fairly powerful fragrance with a worthy longevity, being sold at "bargain basement" pricing all adds up to a must-have...believe me, get it and you'll agree.

Ijustmissedthe50s, Spyder and mrchick like this.