What is meant by a barbershop scent?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Fly2High, May 23, 2017.

1. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

please can you tell me what is meant by a barbershop scent?

Thanks

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  2. LevelupShaves

LevelupShaves Well-Known Member

It's a clean slightly citrusy slightly powdery it's a nice clean scent

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk

MR41 likes this.
  3. brit

brit in a box

what an old barbershop would smell like;,aftershaves,soap,talc,leather chairs,touch of cigar smoke,clipper oil etc all mixed together. just my thoughts..

MR41 and Jim99 like this.
  4. dkeester

dkeester Well-Known Member

It is a scent that either reminds you of being in a barbershop, or is a scent that you would expect to find in a barbershop. The term seems to be mostly associated with aftershaves.

Some ASes that are considered "barbershop" scents by many in the community: Pinaud Clubman, Fine American Blend, Canoe, Figaro Monsieur Gold, Aqua Velva Ice Blue, Florida Water, Floid Genuine, Jeris Osage Rub, Lucky Tiger, any Bay Rum. This is not an exhaustive list.

MR41, RyX and dangermouse like this.
  5. dkeester

dkeester Well-Known Member

For example. I gave my dad a bottle of Murray & Lanman Florida Water for Christmas. The first thing that he said about it is that it reminded him of going to the barbershop as a child.

RyX and MR41 like this.
  6. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I suppose Brut is a barbershop scent and so is Mennen Skin Bracer.

MR41 and Bama Samurai like this.
  7. dangermouse

dangermouse Well-Known Member

I just got some Rockwell barbershop scented soap. It's not like any barbershop I've ever been in and my grandfather owned one! It's smells to me of a floral liquorice smell but perhaps the person who made it smells something different. It's still great quality soap.

Jorvaljr and crackstar like this.
  8. dangermouse

dangermouse Well-Known Member

Where I lived, the whole of the 1970's smelled of Brut :)

crackstar likes this.
  9. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Smoke and clipper oil. Now that you mention it, barber shops did include those smells too!

crackstar and brit like this.
  10. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Talc(which I'm pretty sure was Clubman), Denobli cigars, warm shave cream from the dispenser and some metallic smell. Never quite smelled it in any After Shave I've ever run across. That was the barbershop I went to all the up to my thirties.

11. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Most barbershop scents I've smelled are not similar in scent. The "barbershop" scent is subjective. If there is a barbershop you use to go to it may smell different than the one I went to. Most barbershops I've been too have a powdery scent, it's due to the talcum powder used. The one I'm currently in smells like pinaud, mixed with barbercide and gel.

12. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Brut, Clubman, Canoe, Jeris, AV Musk, Lucky Tiger

Citrus and powder

13. RyX

RyX DoH!

With a little research at basenotes.net I keep seeing references to Fougère.

From Wikipedia;
    Fougère is one of the main olfactive families of perfumes. The name comes from the French language word for "fern". Fougère perfumes are made with a blend of fragrances: top-notes are sweet, with the scent of lavender flowers; as the more volatile components evaporate, the scents of oakmoss, derived from a species of lichen and described as woody, sharp and slightly sweet, and coumarin, similar to the scent of new-mown hay, become noticeable. Aromatic fougère, a derivative of this class, contains additional notes of herbs, spice and/or wood.

MR41 likes this.
  14. LevelupShaves

I literally just learned fougere is fern from I'd Lather be Shaving

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brit, RyX and MR41 like this.
  15. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Usually it's a scent that uses the classic trifecta as it's core scent: Lavender, Vanilla, and Bergamot. Other scents can and often are added to those three, like coumarin, patchouli, and oakmoss.

Vanilla gives it that "powdery" quality.

Examples: Pinaud Clubman, Ralph Lauren Safari, Mitchell's Wool Fat, Pour Un Homme by Caron, Barrister & Mann Lavanille, Farina Gegunüber's Kölnisch Wasser (cologne water), etc.

One thing that people agree on, is that "barbershop scent" means different things to different people. My opinion, for what it's worth, is that a Barbershop scent must include at least two of the the three scents I mentioned above for me to consider it in the running to be called a "barbershop scent."

Terry Williams, Demidog, RyX and 2 others like this.
  16. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    +1

RyX likes this.
  17. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

Talcum power

I wondered this for a while myself so I recently bought some Clubman Pinaud since everyone calls it a barbershop scent. It is mostly talcum powder with a good amount of citrus and a little spice. This thread just adds to the confusion though since there are so many different responses. I've been to a lot of barbershops as well and none of them had a distinct smell, even way back when I was a kid.

This reminds me of the sandalwood situation where very few manufacturers use real sandalwood oil so a lot of products out there are just interpretations. Now I have no idea what sandalwood is supposed to smell like anymore.

18. LevelupShaves

It varies from maker to maker but it's basically a clean citrus powder sometimes stronger citrus like Razorock XXX or Lucky Tiger sometimes stronger powder scent like Clubman original (not a fan of the powderier ones myself)

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk

Demidog likes this.
  19. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

Id describe a barbershop scent as having a, "clean" scent.

20. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

From what I've tried and what I've read, "Barbershop Scent" is anything the creator wants it to be.
    Ergo, "Barbershop Scent" becomes you want it to be.

RetLEO-07 likes this.