What Is The Biggest Shaving Problem You're Struggling With Right Now?

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by mantic, Dec 12, 2013.

1. mantic

mantic U TOOB

I'm planning on a new series of videos in the coming months addressing specific concerns. What are you struggling with right now when it comes to shaving?

2. Chuck F

Chuck F Cheesy! Big Curd style

Face lathering. Just doesn't seem to work. Perhaps I am stuck with a substandard face.

3. CJames

CJames Well-Known Member

This is probably pretty petty, everything is pretty great at this point except for one spot 80-90% of shaves. At my jawline, my beard goes from growing down to lateral and as hard as I try I usually miss this spot. I think you may have done something on this at some point...J-hooking may have been it. I probably need to review. Do you recommend a smaller lighter razor for that? The though of doing it with my Ikon bulldog II seems a little dangerous. :)

ObiDon and TSimons like this.
  4. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Biggest struggle is trying to keep from buying every new product (soap, razor, brush, etc) that comes on the market. ;)

In all seriousness, one thing that has always been a challenge is shaving 'against the grain.' Not only do I find going ATG uncomfortable, but my skin has a fit with it (i.e. rash, razor burn, soreness). Particularly egregious are the throat area, below the chin and upper lip. Fortunately for me, I have a fairly light beard growth and can get ultra-smooth results in two good passes with an aggressive razor (WTG, XTG). When I got back into wet-shaving, I tried the 3-pass shave and dreaded the final ATG pass, so eventually stopped doing it altogether. I feel for those fellas who have heavy growth and must go ATG in order to achieve a close shave. Certainly I'm not the only one out there who dreads the ATG pass. Any tips or solutions in remedying this issue would be of great value. Heck, who knows? I might even try an ATG pass again. :)

45auto, Heloguy, Albert Hui and 9 others like this.
  5. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

Same for me. I tried the Fatip. It did not seem intimidating going WTG, XTG but it left lots of nicks ATG. Even my EJ leaves razor burn ATG. My SS however does not.

6. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

Keeping my wife and daughter out of my stuff.....

PatrickA51, BamaT, Nolan1982 and 4 others like this.
  7. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Ultimately not all shavers may ever be able to go ATG, especially on the neck area, myself included. The question of how to actually perform a potentially more manageable XTG pass, often comes up around here and I end up struggling to find words to describe the procedure. A link to a demonstration video on the topic could come in handy...

Chuck F likes this.
  8. JBSharp

JBSharp Well-Known Member

I'll join in on this one. I just don't shave ATG, particularly on the underside of my jaw. I've always thought more or different prep might do the trick, but I get a close enough shave by going WTG/XTG that I don't worry about it.

TonyD likes this.
  9. KLF

KLF Doctorin

Shaving the neck area without going ATG or XTG.

10. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

finding time to shave. I've gone back to using canned goo to save time- brush and cream/ soap doesn't add that much *unless* you get the water/ product mix wrong. Then I end up with irritation and nicks and my shave takes longer. Canned goo is always consistent and reliable.

11. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Alarm clocks are adjustable :p

12. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

Doesn't matter for this non-morning person. I could get up earlier but that would make the shave that much worse. :)

BigT, burnout961 and swarden43 like this.
  13. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Ya risky..you could accidentally end up shave walking..:scared011::shaver

ObiDon and jeraldgordon like this.
  14. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

And who knows how THAT would look first thing in the morning?
    [​IMG]

15. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

The corners of my mouth. I'm forever looking as though I have cold sores..

16. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

Shave bumps.

gwsmallwood likes this.
  17. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

BBS at the moustache corners without causing irritation. The lip area can be more sensitive so normally I just get it "good enough" but this is the area most noticed by the wife because puckering up your lips tends to poke those little stubbles out. Too close around the mouth can make for redness and/or irritation which doesn't look too inviting.

FatherofSquirrel likes this.
  18. Depictureboy

Depictureboy New Member

I struggle with my neck. I got all kinds of different going on there. I pretty much know the growth Direction, but I'm such a perfectionist that I wind up going one to many times. I actually broke out my Mach 5 the other day because I was in a hurry. I was sad because the shave turned out so good.

Dapper-in-a-can-man likes this.
  19. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

I have had more than one morning where I found large un-shaved patches a couple hours after shaving. Maybe I should put a coffee maker in my shave den?

gwsmallwood and HolyRollah like this.
  20. fzrider

fzrider Active Member

I have a spot under my chin where the hair goes from growing down to growing sideways, and I can never seem to get it smooth even with J-hooking. I have tried to shave sideways ATG, but the razor head is too wide to get in there.