What Is The Biggest Shaving Problem You're Struggling With Right Now?

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by mantic, Dec 12, 2013.

1. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Dapper-in-a-can-man and Dad-on-hand

Have you tried XTG then ATG?

2. rmcintyre84

rmcintyre84 Got out of the kitchen

Yes. Tomorrow, I'm going to try stretching my skin east-west as well as north-south. I'm hoping that may give me a flatter surface, and, therefore, a better shave.

Dapper-in-a-can-man likes this.
  3. SRNewb

SRNewb Well-Known Member

The biggest problem I'm having right now is shaving my chin with a SR. I always get a couple of nicks there. But I have not been shaving with it for quite two weeks yet, so I end up using the SR once, getting nicks, and having to use my DE on my chin until it heals and I can try the SR again.,

4. Billy Goatee

Billy Goatee Well-Known Member

last night i did a 2x wtg, 1x atg. dfs! didnt want to push my luck for a bbs. no weepers, no nicks, and the alum didnt sing.

5. Hairy Alaskan

Hairy Alaskan eww da toilet

For years my biggest problem has been my neck. Always razor burned with a few nicks and sometimes a bunch of weepers. I always shave at night to give my neck a chance to heal. Recently I tried some new angles and combinations of angles and I think I've finally found what works for me. It only took 6 or so years. I had previously resigned myself to the fact that I would never get a close blood free shave on my neck so I gave up on experimenting. I finally understand the importance of beard mapping and slowly taking the hair down with a variety of angles instead if just attacking it.
    When I first started DE shaving pressure was a huge problem having cartridge shaved for a long time.
    For all the newer folks there is a lot of info on this site. Take it to heart and save yourselves years of pain and frustration.

gmaugie007 and BigMark like this.
  6. Tattoobob

Tattoobob Well-Known Member

thank you for your vids. I'm having trouble greeting a no stubble shave. Using EJ 89 persona blue blades 3passes w,x,a grain does not get bbs. Use EJ cream and soap plus bager brush

7. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

Boy You Should be taken out behind the Wood Shed and "Flogged with a Cat of Nine Tails"
    And let it be clear "Not the kind that comes from "Captains Choice" but maybe bathed in it after the flogging

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  8. PatrickA51

When I started "Wet Shaving" again after a long hiatus, of either letting my beard grow out completely I really had problems, with razor burn and some ingrown hairs on my neck area. My wife got me some Neutrogena Skin Clearing Shave Cream. I shaved with it but really did not like it. It does not lather well for me. But it did help my psoriasis problems. Since I have been using, Jason Tea Tree Soap Satin Soap and or Neutrogena Men Invigorating Face Wash, and then a pre shave oil Pacific Shaving Co. All Natural Shaving Oil or Maggard Razors Pre-Shave Oil. I have not had too many "Nicks or Weepers" or "Razor Burn"

Last edited: Apr 26, 2014
  9. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

I didnt understand that reference =P

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  10. mickeyobe

mickeyobe Active Member

Two things.

1. With my straight razor. I can not see where the blade touches my face when I start my shave at my sideburns. I value my ears.
    My Rolls Razor and double edge present no problems.

2. Abbreviations and acronyms used here and elsewhere. ATG, TSD, XTG, WTG, EJ, BBS and far too many others.

M.B.O.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  11. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

I don't know how to link to the acronyms thread. But: ATG=against the grain, TSD=the shave den, XTG=across the grain, WTG=with the grain, EJ=Edwin & Jagger(I think), BBS=baby butt smooth, M.B.O?... you tell me hahaha

Edit: here

PatrickA51 likes this.
  12. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

For the straight razor, very small short strokes by the ear/sideburn where you start, is the best. I make a few very tiny small swipes then pull the razor away to see if it is even and where I want it. Takes a bit of practice but it works well.

Acronym Thread for you

PatrickA51 likes this.
  13. Dapper-in-a-can-man

My neck is still a HUGE issue for me.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  14. PatrickA51

Thanks for posting the Acronym Thread link.

15. PatrickA51

Don't feel alone, I have problems with my neck also. Some times I look like I dragged a Devil's Skin Scraper across it.

16. Hairy Alaskan

Hairy Alaskan eww da toilet

There is an area right above my Adams Apple that I can't get the right angle on. I can feel the roughness when stroking but the blade in the same direction doesn't seem to do anything. I finally figured out the rest of my neck though.

17. nsomnac

nsomnac Active Member

The spots to the left and right of my adams apple. Hairs grow in every direction. Have tried a 4 pass with J hooks in opposing directions - just no love. I can't even call this area of my neck a DFS.

18. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

my biggest problem is figuring out when im done. trying to feel for stubble can be frustrating. how close is good enough. i dont think im ever gonna have teen age smoothness again. i have gotten some really nice shaves in the past few months, but i have areas om my face that feel like its been shaved smooth, not like no hair areas like beside my nose or on my forehead.
    how do you judge how good your shaves are. how do you touch up. thanks in advance. you have done a great job explaining everything else. david

19. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

The Simple Solution: Neck Beard….
    [​IMG]

20. Dapper-in-a-can-man

It is the only place on my beard that is sensitive to the blade. It drives me insane. It's the only thing keeping me from a BBS.