What is the maker and info?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Geno, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Geno

Geno Active Member

I just got this as a Christmas present and I have been researching for days! The box is friedr herder abr sohn. It has the spades and also the crossed skeleton keys trademark on the box. Hercules is imprinted in the blade. M &F Solingen is on the tang next to the handle. It looks to be rare and expensive but I don't want to know the history for price. I want to know the history behind it so I know what I am shaving with, perhaps a kings old straight razor, how cool would that be?

2. Geno

Geno Active Member

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Perhaps a Pic ???

I see it now :)

Carbide Mike, Spyder and Billyfergie like this.
  4. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Very nice!

Carbide Mike and Spyder like this.
  5. gssixgun

Supporting Vendor
    Looks like a 1930's era Solingen SR might be newer
    Shoulderless hollow grind nice longer tail and a Hollow Notch point

Should be a great shaver once honed

The Figual Scales have a separate value, as there are collectors of just the scales, if they are in great shape and have NO warping...

ps: The Box and the Razor are not related, two different companies

6. Geno

Geno Active Member

I have done a lot of research and have came up with nothing. I'm starting to think that the razor isn't original to the box? No markings on the straight razor as far as manufacturer goes but the box reads " spade trademark, then Friedr Herder Abr Sohn, and then crossed skeleton keys trademark at the end. Can anyone give me any information on this?

7. Geno

Geno Active Member

They are perfect! No cracks, chips, just perfect. I don't put a whole lot of stock in people's words but, my aunt said the seller said all they know was it was over a 100 years old. The scales aren't plastic as there are no injection mold sprues anywhere, inside or outside. I was told that the handle was either one or ivory. I am a rookie hahaha!!! Anymore information would be greatly appreciated. I don't care about value, just the history! I don't like selling things that I acquire.

8. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG]
    Might Not be the Original Box..I have a Couple of Herders..They have the Herder Name on the Tang..The Spade & Cross Keys was a Herder Trademark..:)

Billy..:chores016:

9. gssixgun

Supporting Vendor
    They are Celluloid, they are called Figuals

10. gssixgun

Supporting Vendor
    I just posted a pic of the TM to a good friend that might have it listed, as my books show "Nutin Honey"

11. Geno

Geno Active Member

What is celluloid? Early form of plastic?

12. Geno

Geno Active Member

That would be awesome!! Just to show that I have researched until I went dry, I have learned that I doubted the box matched the blade. That manufacturers made blanks for barbers and hardware stores. These people then would have the blade personally engraved for their business and what not.

Carbide Mike, Spyder and Billyfergie like this.
  13. gssixgun

Supporting Vendor
    Yes, and there are many types of it

Highly flammable, some types are also unstable and break down, which is why I asked about warping, that is often the first sign of what is called "Cell Rot"

14. Geno

Geno Active Member

Could the fact that other than "M&F Solingen" on the blade that it is rare? Or perhaps a mass produced no namer that has no significant historical value?

Carbide Mike and Billyfergie like this.
  15. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I found one sold on eBay, by M & F Solingen. I would bet that M & F was a small company, and Hercules was the model they sold. They could have made it themselves, or could have just bought generic blades, and had them custom stamped. Nice scales. So, are you going to hone it up, and give it a shave??

Here is a link to another M&F: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-VINTAGE-266-M-amp-F-034-LONGINES-034-STRAIGHT-RAZOR-/381799843296?hash=item58e50b45e0:g:TTcAAOSwNRdX9Fjk&nma=true&si=jd1qnyQOOtDOy8MYMyLzOyiMPm0%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
  16. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

17. gssixgun

Supporting Vendor
    here is what my source says so far, still looking for years of Manufacture

Glen, temporary nothing.
    Hercules is the Heinrich Kaufmann trademark.
    M&F is Horse Brand, but nothing more yet.

[​IMG]

Keithmax, Spyder, Pilotcld and 4 others like this.
  18. Geno

Geno Active Member

I can't find any information in books or the Internet about M&F. It's either rare or it's a no name junk piece?

Spyder, Billyfergie and Carbide Mike like this.
  19. Geno

Geno Active Member

Awesome! I'll try to look it up using those keywords. I feel I have tried every keyword configuration there is and came up empty handed lol.

Spyder, Billyfergie and Carbide Mike like this.
  20. americanshamrock

americanshamrock Let's Make a Deal! Staff Member

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017