What is the newest?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Marine68, Feb 17, 2018.

1. Marine68

Marine68 Well-Known Member

In your opinion what is the newest and best razor on the market? I have been looking at a couple.

2. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

DE, SE or straight? Define best a bit.

Marine68 and RyX like this.
  3. Marine68

DE Best means the best made best shave in your opinion.

4. cliffb599

cliffb599 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

The Maggard’s aggressive head (V3) is pretty nice- smooth and efficient.

Marine68 likes this.
  6. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

almost all now a days razors shave good, there is no such thing as the best but more like best bang for your buck when it comes to price and materials the razor is made of.

- As of now the best bang for your buck DE razor is Rockwell 6S adjustable which is made of 316L Stainless Steel and it comes with 3 different plates with 2 setting per plate = 6 settings in total @ price point of $100 ( I heard there was 20% discount going on 3-4 days a go just not sure if its valid still) Razorock also has some nice and affordable machined razors too, some aluminum, some aluminum/titanium, some 316L SS, some all titanium.

- Best bang for your buck SE Injector in my opinion is the Supply Provision V2, its adjustable with 3 plates aka 3 different settings, 316L SS, price is at $100 I think and I think they currently have either 10% or 15% promo discount.

- Best bang for your buck SE Artist Club blades would be Razorock Hawk that's made of 316L SS CNC machined and cost $60 but not in stock because V3 is suppose to come out soon some time.

PickledNorthern, LOOT and Marine68 like this.
  7. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

Newest and best; The Gillette OLD, it's the best, and anything newer isn't better.

8. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Yeah, gonna see many different opinions here. I might as well add to it.
    -For DE razors, some would include most any Gillette three piece razor as they are still being copied in one form or another by other manufacturers. Also their TTO's have proven designs which still stand up today and also still being copied. I would also include the Rockwell 6C, cheaper than the 6S, $50.00, and just as good. Zamak longevity is not a problem as Gillette has been using it for many years in their Techs and are still being used.
    -Injectors I would say any vintage Schick because they can be had in the $15.00 range all day long. Even their adjustables, if one so desires.
    -SE I would go for vintage Gems or Ever-Ready razors. Cheap and work great. Other SE's using Artist Club blades and the like, I don't have so won't chime in on that.

cliffb599, LOOT and Marine68 like this.
  9. RyX

RyX DoH!

For fun/dollars I'm enjoying my Merkur Futur clone - Ming Shi 2000S. It has the cool looks, ajustability, and delivers a decent shave.

I'm not a +$100 bleeding edge of technology guy. My problem with that approach is there's always another new product in development, available to pre-order, shipping soon, or so last Tuesday. I did take a New Gen stainless 3 pc DE for a test shave or 5. The polished Blackland Blackbird that James @LOOT loaned to me is shiny, built with tight tolerances, has bar guard or open comb options, even long or short handles. Great razor! If I had as many uses with it as my Gillette NEW OC, or Fat Boy I'd have tamed the beast.

Good luck with your hunt @Marine68! Plenty of new things to try.

LOOT, Marine68 and jimjo1031 like this.
  10. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

My advice is to go stainless if you're gonna drop some cash. Good luck!

danbuter, Primotenore, LOOT and 2 others like this.
  11. LOOT

LOOT Well-Known Member

I agree with going stainless. Timeless and Blackland Blackbird are two of my favorites. They are kinda pricey though.

If you go vintage, a Gillette Fatboy or Slim is the best bet, For me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Marine68 and RyX like this.
  12. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Split the price difference and consider a Feather AS-D2.

Marine68 likes this.
  13. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

Feather ASD2 falls short now that Razorock has the Mamba that is machined 316L SS at $49, while the Feather is not machined and probably MIM, not sure if its 316L, they both perform about the same and feather is $120. Paying 70 bucks more for a brand don't make sense in my book

Marine68 and Primotenore like this.
  14. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

The very rare “Fiktiv”, hand-carved out of solid niobium, is the rarest of the rare, and quite frankly, nothing else even comes close in performance! Packaged in a solid mastodon ivory case, each individual razor is hand delivered by a member of the Nisse, and the transfer ceremony is beautiful and humbling to behold, although the ritualistic blood sacrifice is a little sobering. Expensive, as you can imagine!, but the only thing currently holding me back from getting another one is that none are currently known to exist...

15. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    While I can't compare the Feather to the RR, the Feather was a purchase I have never regretted. It is one of my favorite razors and the construction is A1.

danbuter and Marine68 like this.
  16. RyX

RyX DoH!

I was holding out for those new products by Hank Rearden. Then he went into hiding. There were whispers coming out of Colorado.

17. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

I had to look that one up. Nice!

I suspect that a Vibranium razor, if one came to market, would be great since there would be no chance of blade chatter (but also no audible feedback).

As for the OP's question, one has to be open to the possibility that "newest and best" could be mutually exclusive terms.

18. Marine68

You people make me want to poke my eye out!!!! LMAO:angry032:

19. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

It only works with a super custom shave brush, made from the finest unicorn mane, harvested by hand on the solstice by only eldest daughters. Otherwise, a waste of time.

cliffb599, jeraldgordon and jtspartan like this.
  20. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

No tail hair? Wouldn't that make it too floppy?

jeraldgordon likes this.