What is your favorite brush???

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Fly2High, Feb 9, 2017.

1. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

I would like to know what is your favorite brush and why?

Post a photo if you can. I know some are just works of art.
    Is it a fan, bulb or a hybrid loft?
    Are you a cream, soft soap or hard soap user?
    Do you lather in a bowl/scuttle, on your hand or your face?
    What type of hair is in it, badger(pure,best,fine,silvertip,etc.),boar,synthetic or what?
    Is the brush soft or firm? Is it a good exfoliator or does it message gently?
    Is it new or vintage?
    What makes this your favorite?
    Looking forward to seeing your favorite brushes!!!

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
  2. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

This is a good idea Frank. I'll have to think about it first. Why don't you go first?

3. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

I only have a pair of AOS pure badger brushes and do not yet have a favorite or enough to make that determination. Also, I only started wet shaving with real products on Feb 1st. I do not count my can shaving days.

They are utilitarian and do the job but I see them as nothing more than cheap plastic paint brushes compared to the works of art I have seen for sale.

This thread will definitely build my interest for a future acquisition.

4. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Sounds good. :happy088:

Demidog, RyX and PickledNorthern like this.
  5. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Without second thought, since 2013 my favorite brush has been the Semogue BC Mistura. It is a great size and the mixed badger / boar knot is excellent.

I like it enough that I have purchased three of them and rotate between them.

(sorry, no pics as I am at work.)

Demidog, RyX, wristwatchb and 2 others like this.
  6. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

In general I prefer soft brushes. So, the variety of uber-soft synthetics have grabbed my attention. However, I still rotate in an Omega 10066 boar brush and a finest badger brush from The Brush Guy a few times a month. I tend to rotate between my favorite synthetics. These are the ones that I am using right now:
    TGN_Rubberset100.png The Golden Nib 24mm syn - Rubberset 100
    WD_Century-Magrd_Franks.jpg Whipped Dog 24mm-Century(vintage); Maggard Razors 24mm-FranksShavingHandle WW_BlackWolf_knot.jpg Black Wolf 24mm-Wolf Whiskers Tuxedo Shape (Shadows of Stonehenge and Clear)

The WW is probably my absolute favorite. But, they are all very nice and they are all very soft. Decent backbone, but not stiff and not scritchy.

Edit: (other commentary)

I start in the bowl to load up and get the lather started and, then depending on how well the lather builds, I paint on or mildly face lather.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
    Demidog, RyX, wristwatchb and 3 others like this.
  7. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I have a brand new Whipped Dog Silvertip and I love it. It's a 24mm knot, very soft, with their larger handle. I believe it's 57mm tall.

(Pic later, I'm at work, too!)

HERM

8. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

These are my own design. The brush on the left has a TGN Silvertip Premium Knot. The brush on the right is a El Druida Manchurian knot. Both handles are from brass and are very heavy. I like the extra weight in the handle. Both whip up a great lather.
    EtsyA.JPG
    Two of these brushes are mine. The one on the left is a synthetic and one of the other 3 is also mine. It has an Envy White knot. These are amazing brushes.
    Tres Amigos Finished Brushes.jpg
    This brush a LE Chubby 2 Synthetic from Simpson. It is also an amazing brush.
    Jade LE Chubby 2 Synthetic.jpg
    This Rubberset #3 boar with the original knot is outstanding.
    Rubberset#3 Restorea.JPG

This Rubberset unmarked with an Omega Pro 49 knot. It was a gift from @clint64. It is a lather monster and make lather out of anything. :) It is also beautiful!!!
    RubbersetAluminumHandle.jpg
    This is an Elite Razor Gold Laced Onyx with a Tuxedo knot. Works great.
    Gold Laced Onyx Tuxedo.jpg
    This pair are two of my grandfather's brushes that I restored. The knots are good but not great. I'm thinking of sending the off to be restored to their original condition.
    GrandfathersBrushesFinishA.jpg

There is not a bad brush in the bunch. They all work very well with any soap or cream. Very hard to pick one above the other.

twhite, Demidog, RyX and 8 others like this.
  9. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Beautiful brushes Doug. :happy088:

10. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

I guess I haven't been on the 30 day forum long enough to know that you'd made all those yourself... Very impressive, Doug!

11. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Thanks very much, however, only the brass brushes are my design.

twhite, Demidog, RyX and 3 others like this.
  12. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

+1 !

13. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I posted this same post on a favorite brush thread started by @PickledNorthern

I face lather exclusively and tend to prefer brushes with good backbone and scrub. However, I enjoy the entire range of brushes including boars, badgers and synthetics from my Zenith Boar to my Doug Korn custom badger. Below are the ones that are special to me.

[​IMG]

400 #3 with a WSP HMW knot. I bought the brush restored at a very good price. I think the 400s are very cool looking brushes and this knot is absolutely huge.

[​IMG]

This brush was a gift from my wife and daughters. The handle is by Rudy Vey with a TGN Finest knot. When I use the brush I think of the 3 ladies in my life.

[​IMG]

Elite Razor Ironwood Beehive with Envy White knot. I along with @Boojum1 and @Douglas Carey worked with Bob Quinn to make a brush honoring our friendship that started here on TSD. One of the best knots I own with tons of backbone.

[​IMG]

I feel the CH2 Synthetic is a great synthetic brush for those that enjoy badgers. It is super dense and gives that wall of badger or synthetic feel. Tons of backbone and the brush I reach for to lather troublesome soaps. I have added one LE version of the brush and will add more in the future.

AGHisBBS, twhite, Demidog and 7 others like this.
  14. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

I have used just about every type of brush imaginable. The black tuxedo synthetic knot beats them all. It dries insanely fast. It is low cost. It is easily the softest brush I have ever used and it has a great backbone. It performs better than brushes 5x the cost.

Handles are more preference. I like wolf whiskers. They are incredibly high quality and look gorgeous.

I would also give a shout out to @Jayaruh , our TSD brush maker, who can make a custom handle to order and put whatever brush you want in it for a VERY reasonable price.

Screenshot_20170129-091134.png

twhite, Demidog, RyX and 3 others like this.
  15. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

You should tell us one more time. I had almost forgot.

Douglas Carey likes this.
  16. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

A beautiful display of amazing quality brushes Clint. :happy096:

clint64 and Paul Turner like this.
  17. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Thank you very much my friend. :happy088:

clint64 likes this.
  18. PickledNorthern

I will throw in one:

Doug Korn DK7 w/24mm Envy White

[​IMG]

Hodge, DesertTime, AGHisBBS and 7 others like this.
  19. PickledNorthern

Clint not only has some of the most beautiful brushes you will see on this site, but boy can he shoot them...

RyX, jtspartan, wristwatchb and 2 others like this.
  20. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I have his #59, and do enjoy it.