What is your most unforgiving razor...?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Primotenore, Feb 3, 2017.

1. Morman Bridge

Morman Bridge Well-Known Member

Hi all, I stand by my assessment that the Yuma is the most unforgiving razor I own, how ever, the Cadet (Pearl), model 11 OC TTO is a close second.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Crawldawg

Crawldawg Active Member

GEM MMOC has been getting beat up, I only had one bad incident. It wasn't the razor it was my fault for not making sure the blade was properly seated. Since then it has been a favorite of mine. I have been trying to work the kinks out of my RR Blackhawk with Kia pinks, but I get a weeper almost every time. Maybe time to try a different blade.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

3. Hairy Alaskan

Hairy Alaskan eww da toilet

Guess I got lucky. My Cadet 11 OC is one of my favorites. I always get a great shave from it.
    One of my worst is some no name razor I got on clearance about 10 years ago from either Bullgoose or Shave a Buck for a couple bucks. The only good thing about it is the handle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. hamoncan

hamoncan Member

Open comb Gillette old type. It's left me bloody and burnt both times I tried it. Yet a max setting Gillette Slim or Fat Boy is perfectly comfortable for me. I suspect I'm bad at riding the cap which doesn't seem to matter as much with the TTO's. Or maybe it's something to do with blade gap vs blade exposure, but I'm not completely up on the science of it.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

5. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

@Redrock try Kai Stainless Steel :happy088:

Yehuda D and Douglas Carey like this.
  6. Shave7

Shave7 Active Member

1970 Personna Super Stainless Injector Razor. It's highly angle sensitive. It's a nice looking "space age" appearance razor, but it s real challenge to use without drawing blood.

7. ob1page

ob1page Frozen in Phoenix

Muhle 41 with a Feather

8. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

My Schick E2 has nicked me a number of times, as has my Valet Autostrop. The Ikon Tech hasn't yet but I know it's only a matter of time. Shake Sharp and MMOC never .

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Primotenore and Douglas Carey like this.
  9. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

It is a toss up between my 1908 single ring and a OCMM.

Terry, Primotenore and Douglas Carey like this.
  10. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

I treat anything that holds razor sharp steel and is going next to my neck with the utmost respect, 'cause they can all bite ya.

Bama Samurai and Primotenore like this.
  11. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I have to pay attention with this one. It bit me today. [​IMG]

12. Smooth Steve

Smooth Steve Well-Known Member

For me it is either my X3 or Wunderbar slants. Both shave great now, but they are the most sensitive to any error. They shave very smooth, but if you are not careful they will bite and leave weepers. The X3 took me the longest to learn, but the Wunderbar came afterward, and I had more experience. I have them under control today, but there was a bit of a learning curve at first. Nevertheless, make a mistake and they will hurt you. I would consider these my most aggressive DE razors. I had some minor razor burn with the PAA Bakelite slant after the first use, but since, this razor has been without flaw.

I never seemed to have an issue with the R41, even from the first shave. It is absolutely one of my favorite razors just providing BBS, enjoyable shaves.

The E2 Schick can be dangerous. I cut myself once, a couple of weeks ago and the crazy thing was I didn't realize it! I don't recall it even bleeding, but it took about a week to heal. It was really odd. It was like it just thinly sliced me by the chin! This is without a doubt my most aggressive SE, but if careful, it will provide an awesome, comfortable, smooth shave. On the other hand, I never had an issue with the Hawk and it was my first SE.

Finally, I had tried a Crown King Shavette and by far this is my most dangerous tool, especially while trying to learn! I used it 3 times and the first was brutal. The later 2 were not half as bad, but it is very easy to make a mistake that will leave a mark. I have to rub the blade corner on a stone to dull and remove the sharp blade corners, at least while I am still try to master my technique.
    Steve

13. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

The OCMM is a favorite of mine too. But you can pay for inattemtion.
    This is how a young friend of mine thinks of itfrom what he has read.
    tmp_11901-vzm_58d16ef9_6b8b4567_28d-attachment_1-orginal_image_14901204411587388757.png

Terry, BigMark83, Yehuda D and 6 others like this.
  14. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

iKon Tech

Yehuda D and Primotenore like this.
  15. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

At least the Ikon is in your face dangerous, not sneaky like the E2.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Primotenore and Douglas Carey like this.
  16. Otto

Otto Member

The Muhle R41. Although I had good shaves with it (before selling it), the angle was unforgiving and the roughness always had me on my toes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

iKon Shavecraft Closed Comb.

Yehuda D and Primotenore like this.
  18. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

This may sound terrible but my razors are not my children. If they like to bite or irritate me to no end; they're finding a new home. Some I got rid of because their shave was no better than one, a third of their price. This includes:
    Gillette Sheraton
    1932 Gillette Goodwill
    Fatip Grande
    Gillette Single Ring
    Thick top old type Gillette
    1951 Gillette Aristocrat
    Schick Eversharp Type G
    1968 Gillette Slim (I exclusively used for a year)

I'm not saying they're bad razor, just not for me. I'm just fussy.

But this all said I really like my Tech, Flare, Fat Boy and Brazilian Mono Tech.

Terry, brit, Primotenore and 3 others like this.
  19. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

[​IMG]

This one. Beyond a doubt. You have to pay attention to both ends or you will get nipped. The heel nipped me twice today.

Terry, Dzia Dzia, Yehuda D and 5 others like this.
  20. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I started this thread on February 3. Time to update:
    Mühle R41 2011 is one wicked beast. Unforgiving is too gentle of a word. Sadistic is more accurate.

Douglas Carey, Enrico and Yehuda D like this.