What is your preferred shaving tool?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Rusty blade, Jan 8, 2017.

?

What is your preferred shaving tool?

1. Cartridge

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. DE

30 vote(s)
    57.7%
  3. SE

5 vote(s)
    9.6%
  4. SR

5 vote(s)
    9.6%
  5. Combination

10 vote(s)
    19.2%
  6. None of the above...I have a beard

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Other (describe)

2 vote(s)
    3.8%
  1. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

I have used everything for shaving -- cartridge, DE, SE and most recently, SR. I realize that SR shaving is a great way to shave and have gone for weeks using nothing else but a SR. But I also really enjoy DE and SE shaving. So I find recently I am rotating among the 3...and enjoying what each one has to offer. Some days I find myself doing a first pass with a SR and then a second pass with a SE or DE...just because I enjoy both kinds of shaving. What about you? What is your preferred shaving tool?

fiatster, mrchick, gorgo2 and 3 others like this.
  2. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

At the moment it's a CJB kamisori Shavette that I got as a secret santa gift. I am running the long feather artist club blades. It's wickedly sharp and very efficient. I like it a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

danbuter, gorgo2, jimjo1031 and 4 others like this.
  3. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

I started with DE, graduated to SE after getting my first a true BBS from a Schick. Tried SR but cut myself pretty bad and have been to afraid to try again. I occasionally use a DE (400+ blades to use up) but dont typically get a close shave without extra effort.

4. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

DE. I don't have an interest in a straight razor, had too many ingrown hairs from cartridges, but haven't tried a single edge.

Sent via mobile - Chris

5. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

I probably favor my Ever-Ready 1914 above all other razors at the moment. I really enjoy SR shaving, and I have a Frederick's Celebrated that was restored by Glen that is fantastic, but I find I just don't have time for consistently using a SR.

6. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

These days the weapon of choice is a DE based shavette. I find little desire to use anything but open blades at this point, for me they are unmatched in comfort and closeness.

danbuter, preidy, gorgo2 and 4 others like this.
  7. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Injectors and SE razors for me. I haven't used a DE in about 9 months.

danbuter, gorgo2, jimjo1031 and 3 others like this.
  8. RyX

RyX DoH!

I started with a 1/2 DE blade shavette. Been through DE, straights, & injectors. Didn't like GEM type SE's. I've found my way back to shavettes but the longer blade Weck type. I like a Gillette DE or Schick injector clean up pass.
    The combo shave tool use gives my Lack of Focus focus variety and keeps things interesting.

9. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

DE and SE razors, my favorites are my Weber PH and my RazoRock Black Hawk.

10. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I use DE, SE (Gem) and Injector razors in rotation and get quality shaves from all of them. My favorites among them are.............
    DE TTO - Gillette Fatboy
    DE Three Piece - Gillette Bostonian
    Injector - Early Model Schick I (55)
    SE Gem - Gem G-Bar

11. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I went from carts to de, then se/ injectors, now str8. My goal was the closest possible shave with the least amount of irritation. I finally found my holy grail in the straight razor. It has met my shaving needs as well as aesthetics and acquisition disorders:). I whittled all my other razors down to a Gem, two de's and two Schick injectors.

danbuter, Carbide Mike, RyX and 3 others like this.
  12. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Given enough time, I'll go with one of my SRs. Otherwise, it's my PAL adjustable, Ever Ready 1914, Schick adjustable in that order. I'll throw in a DE every now and then.

13. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

La variété met du piment dans la vie, as they say in Spanish.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
    Carbide Mike, RyX and Jim99 like this.
  14. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

It use to be DE razors, but for over 5 months, it's been Straight Razors exclusively. Less irritation, and more fun.

15. Drawer

Drawer Well-Known Member

DE for me. I have a few straights I would like to try. I have yet to sharpen them. I did try a shavette. I went better than I expected but I lack the confidence to give it another try.

16. Drawer

Drawer Well-Known Member

This really makes me want to try a straight.

danbuter, Jim99, Carbide Mike and 2 others like this.
  17. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

One bit of advice: Do it! I put it off for two years and lost out on 700 straight shaves:(. Come over to the dark side, there's a bunch of guys just waiting to help you on your way:)

18. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

My prefered razor is a straight razor but I love variety so sometimes I pull out a DE SE or shavette.

Carbide Mike, mrchick, RyX and 2 others like this.
  19. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

DE, specifically the humble post-war Tech.

20. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Most days I find myself using a Tech as well. I use them all on a bulldog handle and don't notice much difference between the iterations.

Great shavers.