What kind of razor should I get?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Michael519, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Michael519

Michael519 Member

Note that the topic is not asking about what kind of blades. Rather, what kind of safety razor, without the blades, to buy for a first purchase. I've been reading that the Merkur HD is the surefire way to go, but it looks a bit bulky.

2. SharpSpine

SharpSpine Well-Known Member

Check out the sticky posts in the shave school area. There is a complete post about the highest recommended items for new converts. I prefer injector & SE razors so I'd suggest at least looking into those especially since you can find them very cheap & I believe that they give a better shave than the more popar DE.

Good luck & glad to have you here at 'da Den!

3. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Lots of stickies and reading to help you make an informed decision.

Whatever you get, I would suggest you get a blade sampler and try as many different ones as you can.

Take a look at the Lord L6 razor.

It is an inexpensive razor ($12 IIRC) that has been getting lots of favorable reviews.

4. otherstar

otherstar Rodney Dangerfield of TSD

It's really a personal choice, but I don't think you would go wrong with a Merkur HD. I have one and it's a very good shaver, not the best I've got (but I wouldn't recommend that razor to a new DE shaver). If you want to start cheaper, look at any one of the vintage Gillettes in the B/S/T area of The Den, or try eBay.

And I second the notion of getting a blade sampler pack of some kind. You need to find the combination that works for YOU and nobody can tell you what that combination will be.

5. Michael519

Michael519 Member

So long as it is below $100, price isn't an issue; I would go for the HD, and probably will, but if there's anything that gives an equal or better shave thats a bit less bulky, I would much prefer that.

Also, I've checked the sticky; I took a look through the picture-heavy safety razor thread many times, which is one of the places I heard good things about the HD.

6. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

The HD really isn't all that bulky. The 38c is considerably larger then the 34c.

I was amazed at how small the 34c was when switching from a Mach 3.

7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

My first DE was the 34C, aka HD.
    Now I have a 34G and a 34C with a custom handle, bringing my total to three.

That tell you anything? ;)

8. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Michael,

The sticky posts are here.

The one on which razor to get is here.

Let us know what to decide.

9. newb

newb Resident Newb

Read the stickies. Many love the Merkur HD and EJ89. I can't recommend either to a new shaver because they didn't work for me. But then again I might just be special:scared011:. I do though sing the praises for the Lord L6, only around 11bucks, it has many favorable reviews.

otherstar likes this.
  10. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

I have both the merkur hd and the EJ89L, They both work fantastic for me, the HD was my firts razor. I tend to use mainly the EJ89L as the finnish on the razor it's self is great and far better than the merkur.
    The EJ89L is cheaper thatn the HD and at a good price on Amazon. The best thing about the EJ89L is, if it dont like it sell it on ebay (as i have seen them sell on there for more than what amazon charge!!!!) not much more granted but its very cost effective to try:). Even the HD will get a good resale price.