What Manly Things Did You Do Today?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by jwr0201, Jan 17, 2015.

1. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

They complain we don't help around the house but somehow changing the oil in THIER car doesn't count. Plus add to the list cleaning the cutters, washing their car, fixing the steps to the deck, painting the basement floor, replacing the kitchen faucet, redoing all the kitchen cabinets (a royal pain in the butt by the way), cutting and chopping 2 cords of firewood, and all the other things we do - that somehow don't count. Ok I'll get off my soap box.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
    brit, BigMike and Kenneth Sampson like this.
  2. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

When I was stationed in Korea back in 1975 - I ( a young Lieutenant at the time) attended the decommissioning party of the actual 4077 th MASH. This was the unit the movie and TV show were based on. It was the next compound over from where I was based. It was one hell of a party. I just hope there are no photos of that evening still existing.:)

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
    richgem, AGHisBBS, Drawer and 3 others like this.
  3. RyX

RyX DoH!

Through my actions and speech, thinking I was being helpful, I inadvertently brought on a feeling of Saudade to a new Lady Friend.
    I apologized and hope I didn't hurt her feelings.
    :(:angry032::sad023:

4. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

Wow - this is deep stuff. Saudade is something that one can not predict when dealing with another soul. Just be there for her.

RyX likes this.
  5. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

Our neighbor's house was broken into last week. I installed this gate latch on the side yard fence. Wife feels a bit safer now. The fence is less than 6 ft tall, so a determined burgular is not going to be slowed down much. But it should be enough to keep menacing riffraff out. Installation was more difficult than I expected because the gate itself needed a lot of modifications to beef up the structure and get everything solidly aligned. Came out nice though, if I do say so myself. DSC_1481.JPG DSC_1482.JPG

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
    txskimo, DaltonGang, Col C and 2 others like this.
  6. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I finished preparing & filing our tax returns.

PanChango likes this.
  7. Kenneth Sampson

Kenneth Sampson Well-Known Member

Finished taking the carpet and padding out of my living room, now to get the last of the trim up. Picking up the wood flooring tomorrow to get started on Friday. And just like everyday, I find a way to lose blood.

AGHisBBS likes this.
  8. brit

brit in a box

i got up,showered,opened the shop watched the snow and ordered a large full english breakfast from the greasery next door.nap time....

BigMike likes this.
  9. Kenneth Sampson

Gotta finish the floor, wall fisch some cable lines, trim, paint, and on and on and on. Plus work full time. I hurt.

P.S. there are 4 registers on 1 35' wall. Was hoping to get more done today.

[​IMG]

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

AGHisBBS and Erik Redd like this.
  10. Kenneth Sampson

I just noticed the kitchen cabinets in the comment. Did the cabinets last year, this year I'm sanding down and refinishing the wood floor and then doing a concrete counter top in the kitchen.

11. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

images-6.jpeg

I remember Saudade as the nicest sailboat I ever saw. I've sailed a lot of boats big and small, but none like her. Could turn a circle around boats half her size.

Bama Samurai, brit, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  12. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Where was the pic taken?

Bama Samurai likes this.
  13. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

I'm still in the middle of doing the kitchen cabinets. We have a rather large kitchen. I tried an environmentally safe stripping compound to get the old finish off. It said to apply and then wait 30 minutes. It did nothing. I left it on for 3 hours and still nothing. Now I'm using the most lethal stripper I could find - works great.

Kenneth Sampson, AGHisBBS and RyX like this.
  14. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Good on you for at least trying the environmentally friendly stuff. I try to use "green" cleaners whenever I can, but the reality is that some are great and some just don't work.

15. RetLEO-07

Shhh! The envirowackos might hear! :scared003:

brit likes this.
  16. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

[​IMG]

brit, AGHisBBS and RetLEO-07 like this.
  17. RetLEO-07

:happy097:

brit likes this.
  18. Kenneth Sampson

We ended up buying the house I grew up in, and the cabinets were custom built by my dad 20+ years ago. They stained them blue green. I bought gel stain, sanded them down just a little and stained them. Worked great. We ended up tearing down a wall and turning the dining room into part of the kitchen. Its rather large as well. Maybe 250 square feet. Home improvement sucks lol

Here's where I got on the flooring since getting off work today. My living room is 35'×12'. Now I have to transfer all the furniture to the other side so I can continue tonight into tomorrow.

[​IMG]

A little before and after on the kitchen, which is still in progress.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

AGHisBBS, Erik Redd and richgem like this.
  19. Kenneth Sampson

Getting there. Looking whooped

[​IMG]

AGHisBBS, Col C and Erik Redd like this.
  20. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

Our cabinets are solid maple and the wife wants to keep them looking "natural". Structurally they are fine but getting the old clear coat off and sanding them down and then apply a new stain and clear coat finish is just so time consuming. I need a break! If it was up to me I would just sand then to rough them up a bit and then paint them with a nice white gloss finish.

Kenneth Sampson likes this.