What Manly Things Did You Do Today?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by jwr0201, Jan 17, 2015.

1. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

It's been a while since I mix those, but one I really like is Leather and Pinaud Lime Sec. :D

RyX likes this.
  2. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

I don't see a manliness issue. Some guys restore furniture, cars, etc.

BamaT likes this.
  3. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

Today I finally started working on a personal challenge of a brush. I picked it up so see just how far I could bring a brush back. I probably should have just saved the money but like I said I wanted to see what I could do. I also wanted to see how light the base would get as I have seen some of these turn almost white when refinished.

[​IMG]

I colored my epoxy and heated and squeezed it back into shape and filled the hole with epoxy. I then sanded it all the way down to 60 grit and worked my way up. I went back down to 60 when I noticed all the marks were not gone when workes my way back up to 2500 grit. Then polished it with several grades of polish and finally flitz.

[​IMG]

She's not perfect but I'm surprised just how much I was able to get out. May try again to move a couple more marks but given how I received it I'm happy with the outcome.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I can still see the crack, and see some of the stress marks/cracking but most of it came out and compared to what it is I was pleasantly surprised with how it turned out. I need to pick up some more variety of sandpaper so that my steps between grit are smaller. Now I have to decide on if I leave the 24mm 2 Band in it or get something like a Tuxedo for it.
    Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
  4. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

Beautiful work. I'm thinking that the base on that brush must be Catalin, like the handle on a Schick E-series.

5. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

Seems very similar. Wish it would have all come out but I think I was asking a lot. Given how it started I fully expected to crack it when I heated it and tried to reshape it!

6. joamo

joamo Well-Known Member

Dug up an established lilac bush that was too close to the foundation and transplanted a portion of it to a new spot.

CarlfromMO, RyX and Stu929 like this.
  7. RyX

RyX DoH!

Gonna have to try both of those! Never would have considered Leather and Lime Sec. I haven't mixed in a bottle, but Osage Rub and Florida Water go well together.
    I've mixed 50/50 Pinaud S.R. & English Leather for good results. When the small bottle was used up I did 1/3's those two and Avon Leather. The results have a slight coniferous scent under the mild leather.

Enrico likes this.
  8. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Too bad you already have a CT because "slightly coniferous sent under mild leather" would be a good one for someone.

RyX likes this.
  9. RyX

RyX DoH!

I thought that sounded classier that whiffs like a leather clad pine tree.

10. sdguero

sdguero Well-Known Member

I went fishing. I saw a lot of fish activity but they didn't want to play with me. Nevertheless, it was a grand day on the lake... I was the only one there fishing for much of the day. No TV, no radio, no cell phone service. Very relaxing.

IMG_1336.JPG IMG_1335.JPG

11. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I did a season as a lumberjack 35 years ago and still have memories of my friends singing this song to me when I came home on weekends

12. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

@jaxstraww, thanks for turning me on to Heartfelt. Their humidifier works great. Rock steady at 70% RH.

13. jaxstraww

jaxstraww Well-Known Member

Excellent news. Glad the project was a success.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

14. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Beautiful lake! I grew up fishing smaller lakes similar to this one, and really loved using light and ultra-light gear.

sdguero likes this.
  15. RetLEO-07

IMG_1454.JPG
    :happy088:

TheFiveO, Enrico, AGHisBBS and 7 others like this.
  16. GarnerPW

GarnerPW Well-Known Member

RetLEO-07 likes this.
  17. RetLEO-07

Thanks!

18. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I got my husband to try shooting at some more challenging targets.

BamaT, AGHisBBS, Enrico and 3 others like this.
  19. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

What did you do ... give the squirrels coffee?

[​IMG]

RyX, AGHisBBS and richgem like this.
  20. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Holy carp! RUN!!!!