What Manly Things Did You Do Today?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by jwr0201, Jan 17, 2015.

1. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Took a friend ice fishing Yesterday, he had never done that before. Nothing like ice fishing and shooting the breeze(B.S) and he liked it. Never saw any of the girls out there other than walking their dogs.

2. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

I pulled my front brakes apart and replaced the brake pads. I was going to replace the rotors, because they're excessively worn (to me), but I'll have to come back with a jaw puller - they're completely frozen, and even beating them with a mallet didn't knock them loose.

AGHisBBS, DaltonGang and Erik Redd like this.
  3. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Apple Pie and cards involved, or actual fishing?

4. Bookworm

I can see deer camp being 'man cave' time, but I have a hard time with the idea of someone spending all the effort to go all the way out to a little tent/house on a frozen body of water - just to play cards :)

5. PickledNorthern

Well, you’re from Texas, and I suppose you can’t really study up on this one.... If you are in MN, you are never “all the way out” to a body of water. This is a local lake:

[​IMG]

And yes, fish houses are man caves:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But unlike most fishing, if you are set up in a house, you are pretty well set up for the day. Which means if they aren’t biting, you had better either have a deck of cards, or enjoy meditating.

And Apple Pie:

-Take 2 gallons of apple cider and pour it into a giant kettle with a pack of cinnamon sticks.

-Reduce it under med heat until cough syrup consistency.

-Add Everclear to a 2x1 ratio with your reduction: 2 parts cider mix to 1 part Everclear.

Go play cribbage.

6. Bookworm

Yikes! Okay, when my relatives talked about 'ice fishing', it was generally a 'house' that was less than 6' square. Big enough for a seat and a stove. You hauled it out by hand, usually, on skis.

That's not 'ice fishing'. That's 'RV with holes in the bottom' :)

7. PickledNorthern

We can drive 3/4 ton pickups with snow plows on the ice for 4-5 months out of the year. Why screw around?

8. Bookworm

Kind of a like boats, huh? "A hole in the water in which you throw money." :)

9. GarnerPW

GarnerPW Well-Known Member

Makes me wish I lived up north.

PickledNorthern likes this.
  10. Latherin’ Luddite

Latherin’ Luddite Well-Known Member

Now THAT sounds like a great way to kill a long winter.

About 15yrs ago I was watching Grumpy Old Men for the hundredth time and I was suddenly struck with a whole new set of feelings. I quit seeing it so much as a comedy as a huge fantasy. The ice shanties, Craftsman houses, Filson clothing, and of course that gorgeous Travelall. I could easily enjoy that life. I already have a good Ariens snow blower too.

PickledNorthern likes this.
  11. Bookworm

My grandmother told me how they spent a lot of the winter. Digging a tunnel from their door to the road so they could get mail, and get to work. (outside of Ottawa. My grandfather was from New Brunswick - seeing the pictures of tents with potbellied stoves was interesting)

Latherin’ Luddite likes this.
  12. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Got my daughter ready for school, made her breakfast and lunch. Fertilized the yard, did my spring cleaning, of the garage. Then took apart my pressure washer, in preparation for the new pump that should arrive in a few days. Then went to the doctors office for some bad Bronchitis I caught, a couple of days ago. Did some grocery shopping and now I'm on heavy doses of antibiotics and steroids. Yeah me.

AGHisBBS and Bookworm like this.
  13. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Trying to wait patiently. :)

AGHisBBS likes this.
  14. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I rebuilt an 11 yr old Troy-Bilt 2550 psi pressure washer, with an aftermarket, upgraded pump. Now it works, is quieter, and has a tad over 3000 psi.
    Best thing is I didn't have to spend a lot of money on a new one, and I got to tinker in their garage, alone, where women are afraid to tread. They are afraid I will ask for help, and put them to work. They don't like greasy messes.

15. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

I found out that I have a slipped and herniated disc in my lower back....
    But the manly part is this, I didn't shed a tear when I sneezed at my desk today.
    That counts, right?

AGHisBBS, Erik Redd and Enrico like this.
  16. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I think it counts.:happy088:

17. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I purchased a second hand wooden cabinet a couple months back and today I added a couple more shelve and hung it in my half bath. This evening I installed a second hand ceiling fan in our bedroom. Worked on a couple shaving brush restores.

AGHisBBS likes this.
  18. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

As a member of that cub, I would definitely say it counts! I hope you are getting good treatment.

Pictures please!

AGHisBBS and Enrico like this.
  19. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

IMG_1003.JPG IMG_1002.JPG

Picked its up for ~$10, added a knob handle and a couple of shelve for ~$4. Wife likes that my stuff is out of the way ... Priceless. :D

20. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Great cabinet! Where did you find it?

Bookworm likes this.