What Manly Things Did You Do Today?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by jwr0201, Jan 17, 2015.

1. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Built a swing for the girls out of 18 feet of rope and a 12" length of PVC. Used black foam pipe wrap for the cushion, spiral wrapped with yellow duck tape. It looks hazardous.

2. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Good will. When I bought it; it still had it's original advertisement tags and the old price sticker said 49.99 clearance.

Sara-s and AGHisBBS like this.
  3. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I like calling it "duck tape" too......AF-LAC

Enrico and gorgo2 like this.
  4. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

A little product history here; “Duck tape” is actually a brand name, inspired by its water resistance. It’s generic name, “duct tape” is inspired by its usefulness in ductwork.

AGHisBBS, Enrico and gorgo2 like this.
  5. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Well, I guess I needed THAT. Thanks. I used to be in AOL chatrooms, where I'd say "duck tape" all the time, just to be silly..No one explained what it really is.

Enrico and Sara-s like this.
  6. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I remember a friend (whose use of English is not her best quality) got a bit confused and described it a “goose tape.”

AGHisBBS, wristwatchb, Enrico and 2 others like this.
  7. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Most people haven't handled real "Duct tape" that is for duct work. It's like heavy gauge aluminum with adhesive on it. Very shiny and very sticky and seals heating or cooling ducts without falling off due to change in temperature.

Where as Duck or Gaffers tape is great for MANY uses including instant / temporary repairs, bind things together (pipes and lumber), and sealing things (loss of a car window).

In construction work I use both.

AGHisBBS, DaltonGang and gorgo2 like this.
  8. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I sometimes call it Poodle Tape or Chihuahua Tape, for the really yappy, nippy ones.

AGHisBBS, wristwatchb, Enrico and 2 others like this.
  9. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I have a roll left over from a few years ago when I rednecked another year out of a shot muffler. With extra reinforcement it held up fine.

10. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

Gaff tape is very different from duct tape. Mostly because gaff tape is matte textured, can be slightly stretchy, and is cloth based (and the adhesive comes off of things if you take it off reasonably quickly). Duct tape has adhesive from hell, is slick, and doesn't stretch at all.

I spent years in theatre - you use both, for different purposes. Lots of people have come up with reasons for it being called 'gaff' tape, but oddly enough, nobody seems to have looked at the oldest, most obvious one. A 'gaff' is a long pole - for fisherman, it had a big sharp hook. In theatre, it was also a long pole, used to reset lights and other things in the infrastructure above a shoot. I think the tape predates theatre, and is named more after the fisherman's tool - cloth wrapped around the handle to make it easier to grip. (A gaffer is either an old man in the UK, or (now) a chief lighting technician).

That reminds me, I've had a roll of yellow gaff tape waiting in my 'to buy' list for a while, I should do that. I need something better than electrical tape to put in my network wiring toolbox.

AGHisBBS and Enrico like this.
  11. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

"Here. Hold my beer." :)

Enrico likes this.
  12. Bookworm

Hey, it's no worse than when I fixed a woman's tailpipe with a coat hanger so she could get home.

13. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I had a 96 Forerunner, that all the tailpipe hangers failed ... I used the heavy zigzag wire from a chainlink fence. It out lasted the Forerunner. :happy097:

AGHisBBS and Bookworm like this.
  14. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Is * that * what the kids are calling it these days? :eek: :rofl::scared007:

15. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

In my neck of the woods, duct tape is the handyman's secret weapon.
    1.jpg

16. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Handy women too!

17. Bookworm

Yup - that's why my wife married me, I suspect.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying"

And, of course.
    Quando omni flunkus, moritati.

AGHisBBS and wristwatchb like this.
  18. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

Put a starter on a ‘99 4Runner. The Hanes manual, that is usually very helpful, said nothing about all the stuff you gotta take off to get to the starter. Hallelujah! It’s done!

19. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I remember when starters were a 15 minute job and plugs were 20minutes. Now to change the plugs in my Tribeca they just about needed to pull the engine. :shocked029:

AGHisBBS and MR41 like this.
  20. Bookworm

Hrmph . It used to be that oil pans could be dropped in less than 30 minutes, so it was worth doing if you let the oil change run a bit long. On a bunch of the GM cars, you had to lift the engine to be able to drop the pan. They put a crossbar directly underneath it. My Pontiac Vibe is a PITA to change the serpentine belt, but at least you can change the starter reasonably quickly.