what model vintage razor to bring back?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by maltedmilk, Feb 26, 2014.

1. maltedmilk

maltedmilk Well-Known Member

Article Team
    I've got some friends who own a machine shop. They were recently telling me how they have encouraged their college age children to figure out an original product to manufacture. The learning experience has been invaluable and, after a couple of years, they are starting to enjoy some financial (niche market) success. Hooray!

When I heard that the family was using excess capacity for "side line" business, I suggested they look into making razors. There will be a "meeting of the board" to review, but I thought I would put it to the shaverati (uh... that's you guys!). What razor should return from the lost pages of history?

I bounced a bunch of quick thoughts off of them, sending a few links so they can get a first peek (Weber, iKon, Standardrazor). If Lie-Nielsen can create a new business just by producing new wood planes from old Stanley patents, then why can't my friends resurrect a razor? ...IF they agree that I've made a good suggestion, that is!

ALSO... given my recent unsatisfying experiences in buying a Gillette adjustable, I am even wondering about resurrecting a vintage adjustable! This would have a very different break even point, of course!

AND... I've even sent them fram773's keen observation
    http://theshaveden.com/forums/threa...ered-razor-in-your-opinion.36552/#post-646584
    that is doesn't HAVE to be made from stainless steel!

What would you like to see come back?

Chuck F and Slipperyjoe like this.
  2. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

This is an outstanding idea Malted. Judging from the seemingly ever increasing demand for adjustables these days, if it's feasible, those might be the place to go. I would personally like to see the old high profile speed make a come back. And yes why not make the things out of good old strong, rust proof brass..though I'm not sure if brass can be machined...

3. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

I agree. The way Gillette Fat Boys and Slims are coveted these days, I'd go for an adjustible.
    Though a Valet Autostrop, Ever Ready self strop or a Wilkinson Sword Imperial would be nice as well...
    ... Or Rolls Razors... ;)

GDCarrington likes this.
  4. maltedmilk

Article Team
    Oh, I am POSITIVE that brass can be machined (in my day job, I buy machined parts to support a manufacturer)! My concern with the fine doors on TTOs or even those thin lids on the SE razors is that they scream to me "stamped part." In general, you have to hit a volume to break even on stampings. This is so critical, it even factors into the design of the tool for creating said stampings! There MAY be some potential for a manually pressed part, but that is a different beast altogether.

I haven't talked to my friends yet, but did tell them we would be discussing it here at TSD! I had to promise them I was making no commitments! Uh... they aren't wetshavers. .... I wonder if I can convert them!!!!:signs002:

macaronus likes this.
  5. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

I guess they will *have* to be converted. How else can they check the quality of their products? Though if they need some Dutch Guinea pigs... :innocent

6. maltedmilk

Article Team
    I must admit, I am hoping to be a volunteer and also thrill at the thought of being offered a razor in appreciation of my expert** advice and guidance! But even if not offered a freebie, I'm in it for the privilege!

**In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king!

PatrickA51 and macaronus like this.
  7. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Could some of the parts..like the doors be maybe 3D printed, to help with the costing feasibility..?

8. maltedmilk

Article Team
    Good question! Other than knowing it is possible, I have no experience in cost-feasibility in this application. Also, my guys do not have a 3-D printer. Interestingly, I have a supplier who recently let us know of their 3D printing capabilities. It is a very real, viable technology. There are many "sci-fi" things than can be done NOW.
    mindblowing:
    https://www.ted.com/talks/anthony_atala_printing_a_human_kidney.html
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-11386_3-57493377-76/3d-printed-meat-its-whats-for-dinner/

HOWEVER... what model to resurrect? If all they did was clone an iKon, then why bother? What's in it for us, the intended market?

I also think it quite difficult to advise "go adjustable." Like everything wet shave, adjustables have both fans and detractors. BUT... other than pot metal, what new adjustables are there?

9. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

Very interesting topic that you started, maltedmilk.....keep us all informed.

10. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I would suggest the Barbasol Floating Head razor. What would be nice is recreating the head and offering it as a 3 piece.

11. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I vote for the EverReady 1924 "shovelhead" SE with a threaded hole in the shave head so other handlles can be used like a DE....:)

12. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I would like to see an American-made adjustable razor.

GDCarrington and Tdmsu like this.
  13. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

14. gzp

gzp Well-Known Member

I would suggest the Weck Hospital Prep razor:
    http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/injector-se-party.23113/page-43

Not sure if the head would need to be stamped or not, it's a single piece folded over to form the blade holder. I would think it would be possible to adjust the head size to use an SE blade (rather than a hair shaper blade).

15. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

An adjustable slant! That would put you at the top of the market. :wave:

16. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

How about brass handles to replace cracked Old Type handles?

JBSharp likes this.
  17. Uncle Brian

Uncle Brian Active Member

I think an adjustable might be a little expensive unless you have huge volumes but a Toggle would be very cool.

Maybe a slant or an injector ... something the other manufacturers are not doing or not doing well.

18. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

I strongly second that!

macaronus likes this.
  19. maltedmilk

Article Team
    OK, these are GREAT starter suggestions! I've got to gently get my guy interested. To that end, I plan on taking my little collection to his shop to get first-round his feedback.
    NOTE: If he goes for it, an example in hand could make the difference in his considering a suggestion!

I've ranked the suggestions so far in order of what I think he might go for. It is less about the merit of a given idea than the likely initial investment.

(To me, the biggest risk is determining if the market really is big enough to support a new player. My company recently stopped prodction of a unit because, even though we held the biggest market share, they decided the whole market "pie" was not worth the effort of production. Much like safety razors, it was a niche product. I mean, c'mon... we all know we're the fringe element in the shaving universe. Most guys stick with the mass marketed "Stuff," right?)

THE LIST SO FAR...
    TOP O' THE LIST
    » brass handles to replace cracked Old Type handles - freekin' brilliant! And a piece of cake to produce. My guy already commented on handles easy, heads need study. But replacing handles with replica!?! GENIUS!
    » Barbasol Floating Head - Oh, I am a big fan of this one! Mainly 'cuz I already searched on it when PanChango posted that it was his all time favorite. These hardly exist on the bay and do not present a technical challenge (though far from expert, I can tell by looking).

GOOD, BUT SKINNY PARTS (should be stamped?)
    » EverReady 1924 "shovelhead" - Well, thanks to my lucky acquisiton from a blurry picture, I will soon have one of these for my guy to look at!
    » The 1912

ACHIEVABLE, BUT PROBABLY NOT A FIRST ENTRY
    » Toggle - Hmm... Yes, I can see this!
    » American-made adjustable - I want one!
    » adjustable slant - fewer taker than plain ol' adjustable?

COOL, BUT OBSCURE?
    » Weck Hospital Prep - Sure, I'm game, but will the masses clamor for it? Even if shortened to more manuverable SE blade length, was this ever a popular style. First I've heard of it, but I don't consider myself well informed!

macaronus likes this.
  20. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

The brass handles are probably pretty easy but there's already some of those out there. Sabi, Parker, RazoRock, Maggard, AFAIK all have brass handles available at pretty good prices (with a Zamak head attached). IMO the brass shave head is the place where they could differentiate themselves from the competition.

BamaT, tuxxdk, Chuck F and 2 others like this.