what model vintage razor to bring back?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by maltedmilk, Feb 26, 2014.

1. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    The gentleman who has my shake sharps (from the pass around) is out of town until next week, but he promised to send them when he got back home. I'll pass it on when I receive them.

2. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

I would love the idea of a reborn Shake Sharp. While i do not own one I like the idea. A SE razor that uses DE blades, especially Stainless . :happy096:

3. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I second the SE that uses DE blades idea. There are already Tech clones and Super Speed clones out there that can be seen for miles.

An adjustable would be an idea for a later time after a reputation is built. Gillette didn't make their adjustable right off the bat. It too over half a century to get it right.

4. georgemoe

georgemoe Member

As a newb wet shaver, this is something I would really be interested in. I only have one razor now (EJDE89) and have been thinking of a second. And I wanted it to be US made. I have no plans to collect but I'd like one or two more to have a little variety. Kickstarter seems like a perfect approach.

5. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

6. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

Wilkinson Sword Sticky
    Gillette Black Beauty adjustable long handle
    Gillette Old or New Open Comb 3-piece

7. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

…And I think they'd be an audience for it willing to pay $100 & north for one. We see that in the more modern stainless razors but to have a 'modern' razor with the look and feel of the old Gillette BF 3-piece would be pretty cool. :cool:
    [​IMG]

maltedmilk likes this.
  8. maltedmilk

maltedmilk Well-Known Member

Article Team
    Uh... Kev... do you have one to loan to the reversing engineer? You've got me interested in one of those beauties, too!

NOTE: I am exercising restraint and not nagging my guy for his rough quote. I know he is busy because he owes me some "real business" quotes, so I am not pressing him. We want to keep his goodwill, since he is the reverse engineer!

ALSO... to date, the proposed Kickstarter is for a single model razor (the DE2SE <— does anybody beside me like this name?). I have also pondered if the whole multi-model project approach would diminish interest for appearing to lack focus! <sigh> This is an anguishing conundrum, but I am now starting to appreciate those wine-and-cheese-party showboats in the marketing department... well, maybe just a little bit, anyway. :taunt002:

9. BigMark

I say let him focus his energy on one model. If all goes well then it would be good for him to make different models. DE2SE isn't a bad name.

maltedmilk likes this.
  10. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Regrettably, no. I have only had the opportunity to hold one of these beauties in an antique store (sigh!...kicking myself repeatedly for not purchasing it for $45!). Good size and weight, lovely handle, vintage head.
    Sorry if I'm muddying the razor-design waters with suggestions. It sounds like the plans are moving ahead :happy088: on this project....

11. BigMark

How long do think it will take to get this all settled as in Kickstarter, Price etc.... I would love to fund something like this. We are a part of History lads! :happy093:.

maltedmilk likes this.
  12. maltedmilk

Article Team
    Well... I haven't read the complete KS-101 guide yet, but painting with a very broad brush, here are my estimates of the big chunks (not in order)
    ¤ shipping the parts (I have read that the labor involved really catches people by surprise, so..) 2-3 wks
    ¤ manufacturing parts - 6-8 wks
    ¤ project on KS - 2 months (?) to allow word to get out
    ¤ rough quote - normally 1-2 weeks, but Dude is hitting a really busy season and I fear being placed on the back burner. I have begun discussing with another machine shop.
    ¤ basic number-crunching - 1-2 wks (estimate before reading 100% of KS-101!). However, I stress "basic" because structuring the stretch goals is an exercise in both marketing and financial modelling. Would some be interested in gold plating? Probably. Solid gold? Not likely.

!!! creating KS eye candy - ??? - This one intimidates me. Because of the learning curve and unknowns, with great trepidation I throw 2-3 months as an initial estimate. Here's a mini brain dump (from my mini brain, I guess ;) )

You sell the sizzle, not the bacon, right? I suspect a spiffy video has more to do with a successful KS than what is being sold. My current thought is to use several stills and set them "in motion" by zooming in a little and panning across the image (rather like a Ken Burns documentary). Then comes the music bed and voice over.
    - Licensing (or trust in "no cop, no stop" -- there are probably no police, but who wants to risk it?)
    » open source music (could opt for really old, copyright expired music)
    » images
    - I do not currently have experience creating videos, but semi-recall a "photo to video" freeware... somewhere
    - I also remember a freeware that will allow you to morph two photos. Major cool, but... find it + learning curve = ?

+ There is also thinking through the challenges of having a runaway success. Less than 50% of projects get funded, but a few exceed their project goals by quite a bit. Too much of a good thing has been known to kill business ventures!

‡ My initial thoughts on funding levels (still hazy without my beginning quote)
    • brass - head
    add handle
    ? possible plating for larger backers
    • NAK55 material - "like" stainless, but cheaper. Polishes nicely.
    • Stainless
    ? sprinkling of blades or other accessories as little bonus bumps as extra "reward" levels?

After searching KS, I am astounded by what is funded as well as what fails! I suspect that there are keys to success, but there is as much "magic" as science in "going viral." <sigh> I need to move reading KS101 higher up my priority list. I was planning on using the rough quote as my "go" signal, but now realize the error.

OK, I have fewer stars in my eyes, but still see this as a mountain that can be climbed. Following the old project planning adage of "take you best estimate... double it!" I hazard a guess of 6-8 months from quote. If I can keep my eyes on the prize, the rest is eating the elephant one bite at a time.

13. BigMark

That doesn't really surprise me now that this is all put into perspective. Why not have all the material the same, it would be uniform. All brass and plated or all NAK55.

14. maltedmilk

Article Team
    OK, I've read their KS 101 (the call it school) here. It is not that hard to digest. It's almost as simple as "Go west, young man!" so good luck with that.

My biggest concern comes from here. Here's a quote (I highlighted):
    What is not allowed?
    No bath, beauty, and cosmetic products; electronic surveillance equipment; eyewear (sunglasses, prescription glasses, and others); firearms, weapons, knives, weapon accessories, and replicas of weapons; medical, health, safety, and personal care products; or infomercial-type products.

I looked for a quick link to ask "what about razors?" but didn't find one. HOWEVER, because their stated goals are to support creative endeavors (especially the arts), I will hope that emphasizing the design will carry it past that possible red flag.

What do they like? Here is a link to staff picks in the design category. The other possible category might be technology, but I'm thinking design is a better fit.

I think the thing to do is "go for it." It might be rejected as a personal care item, or not launch, but my mama always said "Can't never could." It translates into "If you do not try, you will never know."

15. maltedmilk

Article Team
    Yes, all material will be the same. Material can be upgraded at each "stretch goal." Proposed levels: 1) brass 2)NAK55 3)stainless. :D

16. maltedmilk

Article Team
    I found the "specific question" submission box and asked if a unique razor would be categorically denied. Cross your fingers!... and think good thoughts!
    :scared003::bounce015::scared001::bounce017:... :scared011::signs002: :think002: :confused: <— I've got all of these in rapid succession!

PLANofMAN likes this.
  17. georgemoe

georgemoe Member

Hoping :shaver

18. Uncle Brian

Uncle Brian Active Member

Fingers, toes, arms, legs and eyes crossed:signs107:

19. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    As far as the photoshoot stuff, you will need to have a photographable prototype. You can design up the wahoo, but until you drop a blade in it and actually shave with it, it's still a "concept" only. I would be willing to offer my photoshop expertize for this project.

My only concern with the DE2SE (I like that name) is how the lack of a spring loaded blade tray will affect the mechanics of the razor, and what effect, if any, it had on the original shake sharp designs.

Rough concept artwork.
    [​IMG]

maltedmilk likes this.
  20. maltedmilk

Article Team
    Frist... pretty nifty, Ryan! I have yet to develop that kind of talent (and possibly never will!). However, because I fantasize that my soapmaking efforts may some day "go places," I have a logo concept that I could pretty quickly turn into a razor brand (not model). Rather than telling you what I hope it says, I'll ask "does this say it?"
    [​IMG]

That image is a JPG, but I have it as an SVG in Inkscape. It would be so cool if this idea launches and becomes a series. Maybe we could generate funds to BUY a Gillette Big Fellow and then copy it. (Man, am I hitting the Big Dream Pipe, or what? Anybody else wanna hit?)

NOTE: I saw this on KS. Is it less a "personal care item" than a razor? I vote "no!" and hope the KS mods will, too. :happy088:

Also... there were 130 people willing to pay $75 or more for a stainless steel pocket comb. Surely we can muster support to launch a Shake Sharp inspired razor!
    <sigh>
    Now I am impatient to begin crunching numbers... <in best Capt. Kirk voice> Must. Excercise. Restraint.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2014