What Next??

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by todot62, Feb 28, 2009.

1. todot62

todot62 New Member

Hey everyone! I've been shaving with a DE razor for 15 plus years because, at the time, it was unique, cheap, and just did a better job than anything else I could find. Things have not changed over these 15 years!

I use a couple of vintage Gillettes that were my father's, and needless to say, am very much 'self taught' as far as my technique goes, but I get the job done with only an occasional nick when I'm in a hurry. The DE that I use most often (never knew what to call it until I found you guys) is a 'Fatboy' adjustable. Generally, I'll use some sort of generic blades that I pickup at Walgreens for cheap. I have always felt that they do as good a job as the more expensive Gillettes for a much cheaper price. I can easily use my Fatboy set on 9; however, on most occasions I will leave it on 7. Most of these years I have just used Barbasol menthol in one hand and a horse hair brush in the other to lather up. I don't know if this is sacrilege or not, but I always shave in the shower. :o

Now that you know where I'm coming from, I would like to take my shaving to the next level and that's what brings me here. I kind of just stumbled on this little community! One of my hobbies of choice in the past has been watches, which I don't need to tell any of you, can be a VERY expensive hobby. This whole shaving thing interests me partly because it is VERY affordable compared to watches! On the other hand, I have always been a fan or 'the finer things', and have always felt that the way I have chosen to shave certainly qualifies. I just didn't know that there was a whole world out there that feels the same as me!

What I need from you guys is any and all suggestions for my introduction into this 'New World' , understanding that in many ways, I'm really not a noobie. Again, please point me in the right direction so I can take my shaving, and now hobby, to the next level.

Thanks for your help -->Tod

2. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Welcome to the show. hope you find what you need around here.

Fuzzy

3. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

Welcome! If you're looking for the finer things I'd have to suggest a Gillette President or English Aristocrat and a good soap like LOccitane Cade.

You have been wet shaving a lot longer than I though. :o

4. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

EHhh... Cade smells funny. Welcome aboard. The next step is to get a badger brush. You could go boar, but its stiff, scratchy, takes a while to break in, and doesnt hold water as well. You can spend anywhere from $12-$? dollars on one. The possibilities are endless. You could even send your current brush to a fellow member to be reknotted with silvertip badger hair. After that step, its a new cream or soap. One that you actually lather your self vurses is already puffed out of the can. Read reviews, look around, try samples from the TSD store. There are plenty of new things out there. You could try a blade sampler pack if your heart desires and buy blades in bulk once you find one you love. After shaves are nice. The TSD aftershave milk is my favorite. Subzero is great with menthol and iced lime is another favorite.

The list of add ons is endless. Just read around and start trying new things.

5. todot62

todot62 New Member

Thanks for the tips so far. Before I came here, I did go ahead and get some cream, (Taylor of Old Bond Street Rose) and some new Derby blades. After reading on here a bit, I will get a sampler of blades, and I would like to try the TSD aftershave milk. A new brush would be nice, but I have a couple of those that will work until I read a bit more, or come across a nice deal.

What about razors? I would guess that I could try a more "aggressive" razor? What would be the next logical step? I've been looking on the bay at the Gems, but I'm not really educated enough yet to tell the differences. I also hear the term "slant" thrown around as well. Any suggestions? The ones I've seen are so cheap, it's hard not to just start buying a handful.

Tod

6. JimR

JimR Active Member

Lots of good stuff in here, but a good boar is neither scratchy nor does it have trouble holding water. In fact, a good boar is much smoother and softer than a "best" badger brush, in my opinion.

But yes, welcome, and go for some good creams and soaps, get some blades that might fit your face if you want, and ENJOY YOURSELF!

7. Hi there Tod,

Nice first post, and I think you'll find what you're looking for here. Yeah, there's lots of ways to experiment with new products, and none of em are very pricey. It's one of the things that attracted me to this 'hobby'. Spending little money can still result in lots of happiness.

Heh, you like watches eh? Sigh.......I'm a recovering WIS, which is where my member name in this place comes from. Just a slight variation, but you get the idea, and this shaving thing is a result of frequenting those sites. I saw a watch forum member's post a looong time ago about the Zen of Shaving (by Leisureguy maybe?), and that was that! My favorite site was TZ-UK.....well run and some good members. Totally different than the other Time Zone forum and site.

Anyway, after 15 years of DE shaving, you must have one hell of a good reference point for what works for you. Your technique should be perfect for achieving a pull free and comfortable shave, and I'd imagine without irritation after finishing. Ideally, your face should be Baby Butt Smooth when done, but close enough is the main thing. If you aren't getting that type of shave, then maybe the members can help out a bit.

Oh.........I guess maybe I should mention the rabbit hole. Yes, this 'hobby' includes a bottomless one as a 'bonus/curse. You may be surprised at how some 'enthusiastic hobbyists' will tweak their shaving experience. It all depends how deep you wanna go. There, that's your one free warning.

Good luck on your twisted and never ending journey,
    Martin

8. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

what hes trying to say is you should check out gem razors.

:)

9. Hanspleasure

Hanspleasure New Member

Hi Tod,

I really enjoyed reading your first post and wished I would've started wet shaving years ago.. but better late than never eh?
    As far a "finer" razor thats on the aggressive side, I would agree with MTGrayling add look for a Gillette President.. or the gold plated version, Gillette Diplomat.
    Oddly enough the gold plated Diplomat will usually be less expensive...
    If you really want to have a sneak peek at ALL kinds of Gillette Razors look no futher than Achim's (Mr Razor) collection... beware though.. it can induce RAD (Razor addiction). Good luck!

http://www.mr-razor.com/index.html