What Phrases or Words Irritate You?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by DaltonGang, Aug 18, 2016.

1. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

A mistaken order to diffuse the bombs, if obeyed correctly could have awkward consequences...

Bama Samurai and Sara-s like this.
  2. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

But, they'd smell nice....

Bama Samurai, Sara-s and Erik Redd like this.
  3. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I'd love to have an updated book on slang origins.

4. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

Not necessarily....
    [​IMG]

5. Metro

Metro Well-Known Member

Tritonite cologne!

Bama Samurai likes this.
  6. Hairy Alaskan

Hairy Alaskan eww da toilet

My mom hates it when people say tin foil. She corrected me years ago informing me that tin foil hasn't been sold for decades. It's aluminum foil.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PickledNorthern likes this.
  7. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

The same applies to "tin cans".

Bama Samurai likes this.
  8. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Most old timers still call it that where I live. I do too most of the time, I think. I am not an old timer yet, but I have spent enough time cooking around them that it has certainly rubbed off. It seems it is maybe a colloquialism, at least in my area, nearly everyone calls it tin foil. I guess we all know that it is aluminum.....

Bama Samurai likes this.
  9. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

Lots of old timers around here still refer to a refrigerator as an icebox. And some of the generation after them use the brand name Frigidaire for all brands of refrigerators.

10. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

For 28 of my 32 years as a teacher, I wrote on green chalkboards. Yet, I persisted in calling them "blackboards."

11. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Xmas

mrchick and cmorris357 like this.
  12. countryheathen

countryheathen Well-Known Member

"That'll do me" when the customer is done ordering food.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

DaltonGang likes this.
  13. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Love the Avatar. Very funny.

14. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

In other words, it's hard to have a battle of wits with someone who is unarmed.

RyX likes this.
  15. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

...or half-armed.

RyX likes this.
  16. DaltonGang

Dubbing. Silly word, silly thing to do.

17. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

There must be a context or meaning you are referring to?

18. DaltonGang

Sorry, I. Think it's called "Dabbing". It's a silly pose that kids and some people do. It's being worked into kids conversations. Also, Paul Ryan's son did it as Paul Ryan was being sworn in.

19. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

what did Ryan's son say-"There goes Dad, dabbing again"??

20. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Guilty! My shorthand in inter-office emails, usually only during the crazy months of November & December.

However, X does represent 'Christ' so although I understand not everyone is keen on the usage—especially in promotions ("Join us for our Xmas Service!"), I don't have any qualms about its use in certain circumstances.

Here's an online explanation behind the X in Xmas (for those unfamiliar with the origin):

"Christos is the New Testament Greek for Christ. The first letter of the Greek word Christos is transliterated into our alphabet as an X. That X has come through church history to be a shorthand symbol for the name of Christ. We don’t see people protesting the use of the Greek letter theta, which is an O with a line across the middle. We use that as a shorthand abbreviation for God because it is the first letter of the word Theos, the Greek word for God.

The idea of X as an abbreviation for the name of Christ came into use in our culture with no intent to show any disrespect for Jesus. The church has used the symbol of the fish historically because it is an acronym. Fish in Greek (ichthus) involved the use of the first letters for the Greek phrase “Jesus Christ, Son of God, Savior.” So the early Christians would take the first letter of those words and put those letters together to spell the Greek word for fish. That’s how the symbol of the fish became the universal symbol of Christendom. There’s a long and sacred history of the use of X to symbolize the name of Christ, and from its origin, it has meant no disrespect."

Bama Samurai, mrchick and Drygulch like this.