What Phrases or Words Irritate You?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by DaltonGang, Aug 18, 2016.

1. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

In Dutch, apostrophe-s is the plural ending for nouns ending in a vowel. /smarty-pants

Bama Samurai and Eeyore like this.
  2. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I"'ll blaim tha modirn skool sistum for hour kids failyours too lern proper. Us parents nede to start takin controle of the sitiation.
    :rofl:. I sled myself.

Bama Samurai and Erik Redd like this.
  3. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

I am not a fan of dangling participles.

PLANofMAN and Bama Samurai like this.
  4. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Gerundives are my fave participle.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  5. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Why on earth do we call it a pineapple?
    [​IMG]

Erik Redd and Metro like this.
  6. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

Well, I like pineapple and banana yogurt. It would be silly to call it ananas and banana yogurt.

DaltonGang and richgem like this.
  7. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Well, is "ananas" any better?

8. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

"My Bad" is still irritating me, more than anything else. I now see adults use it, as well as the Airheaded Newscasters, on the morning news channels.

Douglas Carey likes this.
  9. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

"I Hate Jazz!"
    How can anyone HATE every form of Jazz there is....It's this type of musical illiteracy, that makes it so difficult to make a living playing any kind of music other than Top 40!

Oh....and "Can you guys hire a vocalist?"
    Vocal music tells you what to think and what the music is about....where as, instrumental music allows you the listener to compose the meaning of the piece of music. Why is that such a problem...I prefer vocal music in another language than one I speak, so I can still allow the tune to bring whatever memories to mind that the melody and harmony inspire me to remember. I don't want someone always telling me what the tune is suppose to make me think! Whew!

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
  10. Bama Samurai

It just means they don't get what you do.

Can you guys play "Free Bird"? (Bic lighter held high). ;)

Bird Lives and Douglas Carey like this.
  11. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

So, when did "woke" become an adjective?

DaltonGang and Douglas Carey like this.
  12. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Here's an experiment to try: Go to someone you know who says that, and say, "That was my fault", or "my mistake"....see what the person says.

13. Paul Turner

I've heard people come up with alternatives, such as "If you might" or "If you like". I'd like to think that throws off the "if you will" crowd a bit.

14. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

After reading some of these I would recommend that no one read any of my post....that is all.

15. Paul Turner

Yes, whatever happened to "the FACT is"? I still use that.

16. richgem

You'da thought that her now-ex husband (Gavin Rossdale of the band Bush) woulda taught her some better vocabulary. /sigh. Even the British have given up.

17. richgem

Quoth wikipedia:

The word "pineapple" in English was first recorded to describe the reproductive organs of conifer trees (now termed pine cones). When European explorers encountered this tropical fruit in the Americas, they called them "pineapples" (first referenced in 1664, for resemblance to pine cones).[9][10]

In the scientific binomial Ananas comosus, ananas, the original name of the fruit, comes from the Tupi word nanas, meaning "excellent fruit",[11] as recorded by André Thevet in 1555, and comosus, "tufted", refers to the stem of the fruit. Other members of the Ananas genus are often called pine, as well, in other languages. In Spanish, pineapples are called piña ("pine cone"), or ananá (ananás) (for example, the piña colada drink).

18. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I was working with a gentleman and was explaining work that we had to preform. After I heard him utter "Huh" or "Whaaa" about the sixth time, I turns to him, and in a serious tone, asked "Are you deaf or ****ing stupid?". I later went to my boss and told him that the gentleman wasn't fit to use a push broom. I can take legitimately ignorant people, but person that wants to act stupid and stay home.

19. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I've worked construction for many years and I understand foul language can be some what the normal vocabulary, but when used out of context or repetitively, I begin to object. I was working with a gentleman (a term used very loosely) that was repeatedly going through the ABC's of foul language. When I finally had enough, I asked him if he feels better when he says those words, in which he responded **** YAH. I said "Really let me try ... Procreate, Procreate, Procreate ... Son of a Female Dog ... Female Genitalia ... Excrement!" Then I said "Sorry doesn't do a thing for me". The crew broke to a fit of laughter and he walked away and called me a ***hole. I responded "That's sphincter". ;)

richgem likes this.
  20. Bama Samurai

330,000 words. Amazing how people over use 7 of them.

Enrico and DaltonGang like this.