What Razor can't you use?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by newb, May 24, 2011.

1. Birkut

Birkut New Member

Feather All Stainless Steel.

I cannot afford it.

2. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

My wart is an Ever Ready 1912. I get superb shaves from my Gem Push Button, but fall way short with this 1912.

3. Hex

Hex Member

A single edge. I have tried 2 different kinds with 3 different blades and I can't get them to work for me. They get the whiskers off ok, but not nearly as close nor effortlessly as my DEs.

I still have one and maybe I will try it again.

4. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

multiblade cartridge razors

5. NoahG

NoahG Member

Rofl

6. ShaveAddict

ShaveAddict Member

My dollar store only carry cheap disposable , i never seen a DE there.

7. RocketMan

RocketMan Active Member

Still can't get a decent shave from a Fatboy. Head just too big for me.

8. Jason1977

Jason1977 Active Member

GEM MICROMATIC~!!! THIS was a tough one to tame. Took me a good 4 or 5 tries to FINALLY shave with it & NOT have weepers & irritation afterward. What a monster this thing is to tame. It is NOT a razor I would use every day though. THIS is a razor I'd use if you slid 2 or 3 days without a shave. I consider this thing to be as close to being straight razor aggressive without being a straight, that's just how it feels. It also clears the shaving cream away, whereas an open comb variety would still leave it behind. It's a VERY aggressive razor & requires perfection in technique. THIS I'd recommend for an advanced or experienced DE / SE shaver. The blade wears down very quickly in this razor, whereas I can get about 5 shaves with my Gem Junior. The Gem Micromatic is a beast, but it CAN be tamed. I just wouldn't use it every day. It's good to work in a rotation once a week, but that's about it.

9. otherstar

otherstar Rodney Dangerfield of TSD

I never had much luck with Gem razors. I had a bullet tip and a push button micromatic and I never got a very good shave with either. I wound up putting them in the Grab Bag about a year ago.

10. Jason1977

Jason1977 Active Member

I hear bullet tip a lot, is that a nick name for a micromatic or is that a GEM model that actually exists? Here's a picture of what I have... I get a good shave from it, butI wouldn't dare use it 2 days in a row. It's THAT aggressive. I'd bet there are straight razors more forgiving than this thing & I know that's saying a lot. It delivers a BBS shave every single time, BUT the technique has to be pristine! Many safety razors, after a while, (once you get comfortable & get the technique down) allow you to pretty much do whatever you want within reason. THIS thing demands point by point precision in technique. (It's a pain, LOL!)

Attached Files:

• AA.bmp
      File size:
      56.3 KB
      Views:
  11. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Within the micromatics, there are open combs, closed combs, and closed combs that have different openings for lather to exit that are marked "Clog Pruf". There are two distinct styles of knobs as well. One is a tapered end which is called the bullet tip, the other flares more and is often called a antenna tip.

Bullet: [​IMG]
    Antenna: [​IMG]

12. dougr

dougr Well-Known Member

COBRA with the Feather Professional blades; it strikes hard and fast. It is one of the most beautiful razors that I have ever seen and reviews put it with the very best of BBS Straight Razor shaves. My stiff hands just do not want to work thought the entire shave and you can't adjust your hands with any forgiveness.

13. Weishi Warrior

Weishi Warrior Well-Known Member

Merkur 38C. I know there are many dedicated Barberpole users out there, but I think the handle is too long for my comfort. When shaving my neck the handle hits my chest before getting to the very bottom of the neck. I love my Merkur Slant and EJ DE89L which is longer than the slant, yet shorter than the 38C. Too bad because the 38C is really a nice looking razor!

14. Jason1977

Jason1977 Active Member

WOW, great! I most definitely have the bullet tip!

15. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Short-toothed open combs. Just too harsh--and that's mostly due to the teeth scraping me, not the blade. Long tooth = sweetness.

16. AJ Goodfella

AJ Goodfella New Member

Very surprised that the Ikon gave you an irritation. I thought that the concept was stainless steel would not cause irritation.

17. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I think it was the machining of the cap and uneven blade gap more then the stainless. I wasn't overly happy with mine and passed it along on ebay.

18. napoleon

napoleon Member

Wilkinson sticky and all old type gillettes.:(

19. michiganlover

michiganlover Member

Gillette Fusion, and Gillette Fusion ProGlide.

Five blades is three too many!! :happy102:happy102

20. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

Haha that is the funny thing. I get just about as good of ashave as from a Gillette two blade disposable as with their fusion. However the fusion while shaving seems to be more comforatble... with all the tugging. :eek: