What shaving gear do you take on holiday with you?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Slow Joe, Jul 11, 2014.

1. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I was a boy scout awhile back, so maybe I'm used to camping out in the woods with little to no amenities. There are a lot of parks that are like tuxx described though. My parents say they are too old and got softer in their old age to not sleep on the ground in a tent.

I am asking a serious question, does Denmark have any parks like Yellowstone, Denali, Everglades, and the like?

2. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

It is very different, which is why it's a moot point to discuss the gear without also taking the site/surroundings into consideration.

No.

Not size-wise, but we do have national parks/areas but camping is strictly forbidden in those areas.

I'm not very nationalistic, so I have no trouble saying that Denmark is very boring in that regard compared to the US. We have beaches (most suck) and we have farmers landscape - beautiful, but boring as ****.
    Yeah I should prob. live somewhere else... :D

3. Ryan B

Well I figured the size of Denmark compared to America would play a big factor in campsites.

But I think that it is still relaxing to camp like you described. It doesn't always require snaring rabbits, spear fishing, starting fire with flint, or sleeping under the stars (even though I enjoy doing all those things.)

Regardless, you don't have to deal with your job or boss whichever way you camp and I think that's what's really important.

macaronus and Slow Joe like this.
  4. tuxxdk

Yeah, Denmark will fit on most of ya'll's backyard :D

I love camping. BBQ everyday, relaxation. Sightseeing, going to the beach. And as you say, most importantly - job/boss is not what's on the mind.

macaronus, Slow Joe and Ryan B like this.
  5. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

Hmm try being English. When I lived in England my Danish wife kept nagging me to go to a nearby beach. Now this is before i ever travelled so my only experience of beaches were English ones. So one day I cave in and took her. I will never forget her face as she lifted up her sunglassesd and said
    "What....the #¤"#....is that."
    " Thats the sea" I replied"
    " Its brown."
    "Yeah" I said
    " It isn't meant to be.Water is meant to be blue"
    Then she almost threw up when she saw someone fishing in the sea, "he's not going to eat that is he!"
    Now there are probably some nice English beaches but compared to Danish beaches this one looked like a toilet.

Omelmad and macaronus like this.
  6. tuxxdk

I guess I'm spoiled by the southern beaches in France. I just don't like the danish ones, although some are nice.

I think it also plays a part that I'm used to Denmark, so I don't consider it anything special. I know from many tourist, they think Denmark is awesome, and they love the stuff I find dull.

I've never seen a British beach, but now I don't look forward to it either :D

Omelmad likes this.
  7. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

Hahahahaha that is some story

Slow Joe likes this.
  8. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Our part of the North Sea is kinda green... But when I was at the beach at Dover and Margate (for those who don't know where that is: both in England), the sea was green there too... The east coast (river Blackwater and Crouch) isn't brown in my memory nor is the south coast up to Land's End. But then my memory can be cloudy with fog patches... ;)

So what part of England are you at?

9. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

This is the typical Pacific beach in the NW. Many people from other parts of the country (especially California) are very disappointed when they visit for the first time. And then they get scared when they realize you're not cancelling the beach trip because of a little rain...

[​IMG]

Slow Joe, Ryan B and jeraldgordon like this.
  10. Chef Bill

Chef Bill Member

When traveling for business or pleasure, my rule always has been, "If you can't travel light, don't travel at all."

That means bringing just a toothbrush and small tube of toothpaste; a small vial of shampoo/body wash; a small roll of dental floss; a nail clipper; a small bottle of aspirin; a roll of Tums; one or two quality disposable razors; a small tube of shaving cream; and a small tube of Vaseline Intensive Care Lotion, which is what I always use as an after-shaving balm and moisturizer. I take a minimal wardrobe, appropriate to the trip.

I can pack and be ready to travel just about anywhere in less than 30 minutes. I've never been that far away from civilization that I couldn't go into a local store and pick up anything else that I need.

And I look forward to getting back home.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2014
    macaronus likes this.
  11. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

You have not taken a Vacation until you have vacationed in Maine. That is just my opinion but YMMV. ;)

Slow Joe likes this.
  12. Ryan B

I've been to beaches all over the world. I'm telling you that the best beaches I've been to are in the Caribbean. The water is a clear blue, the sand is white, the water is warm. It's just awesome. The beaches aren't bad in Israel either. The ones in Egypt along the Red Sea are good too.

When I get rich, I'm going to live a few minutes away from the beach.

The beaches in the South of France are really nice. We went parasailing somewhere along the Riviera. If I had to live anywhere in France, it would be southern France far away from Paris.

I would also like to visit Denmark someday.

Slow Joe likes this.
  13. tuxxdk

South of France is just.. Life! Weather, culture, surroundings - the lot! :)

Slow Joe likes this.
  14. Ryan B

I love the Mediterranean. The people in the south of France are very laid back and I love the weather. Hopefully I get to go back.

I speak very little French, but I'm better in Spanish. Spain is more my style.

Slow Joe likes this.
  15. Slow Joe

Best beach o have been too was the Maldives. Great sand, lovely clear waters, although I have never been to Maine.

Would love to go to Spain and the south of France, been to Italy a few times, I really like it there.

VedderLG and Ryan B like this.
  16. VedderLG

VedderLG Well-Known Member

The south of France is spectacular. Took my wife there for two weeks to celebrate her 40th. A must do!

Slow Joe likes this.
  17. TitanTTB

TitanTTB Well-Known Member

Never made it to the beaches but Denmark is a beautiful country, I dated a lovely Danish girl when I was in college. Now I live about 5 minutes from a brackish Chesapeake bay beach -- its not great but its always empty which is kind of nice to have a beach all to yourself even if the sand is rocky. Spain is great too but my mother is originally from there so I'm a bit biased.

Anyway I love to travel and usually take a shave stick or tube cream and what ever brush and razor I currently fancy. If its a 'shave tourism' destination I'll make a point to pick up a local product to use and if I like it I'll stock up before I leave.
    I did recently score this vintage Rubberset three piece travel brush that I'm going to restore sometime in the next few weeks, if it turns out well it will likely become my travel brush.

[​IMG]

macaronus and Slow Joe like this.
  18. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

I take the following shaving items:
    • Omega 50014 boar travel brush
    • Arko shave stick
    • Edwin Jagger DE89L razor
    • A pack of extra double edge blades
    • A small camp mirror in case there are no mirrors where I will be staying. Here is an example.
    • A Dopp kit or other shaving kit to carry everything
    I don't normally take aftershave, but if I did, it would be Lea aftershave balsam or a small tube of some other kind of aftershave balm.

macaronus likes this.
  19. Slow Joe

Nice brush.

20. Slow Joe

. I live on Denmark now, but at that point I was in the South east of England.