What should I do with these "Golden Girls"?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by blanka, Feb 28, 2012.

?

What should I do with these "Golden Girls"?

1. Just use 'em!

33.3%
  2. Have them re-plated in gold

8.3%
  3. Have them re-plated in nickel

25.0%
  4. Have them re-plated in rhodium

25.0%
  5. PIF 'em

8.3%
  6. Sell 'em

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. blanka

blanka I will not eat my shaving products. Promise.

Here are four golden Gillettes that I've rescued from the wild. They've been cleaned and sanitized, but now I'm not sure what to do with them. As you can see, the years have worn out their finishes. Three of them are in what I'd consider to be fairly good physical condition. The long one (with the rainbow toning on the head) has a crack in the handle.

So ladies & gents, please weigh in. I'm strongly considering a re-plate of the three that are in decent shape. I just hate to see good classics go to waste. 2012-02-28 08.44.03.jpg 2012-02-28 08.44.30.jpg

2. blanka

I should have added an option of asking Tforc to work his magic on them.

3. theblindog

theblindog Active Member

since I don't have any, you could give the first on the left in the 1st pic to me!! :drool:

but seriously, you could have them replated in 3 different finishes :happy088:

blanka and CyanideMetal like this.
  4. SharpSpine

SharpSpine Well-Known Member

I voted to just use them. The plating on them is only aesthetic and won't affect the shave. If you decide after using them that you really like them, or just really like 1 or 2 of them, then you could consider getting those replated.

5. DLP

DLP Well-Known Member

:signs011:

6. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

I agree

7. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

I voted just to use them as well, because the plating is totally gone (as far as I can see), which gives them a unique look! :happy088:

But whatever you do: great to see them rescued! :signs107:

8. blanka

Thanks for the input so far, folks. Unfortunately, SWMBO definitely won't stand for those being displayed in their present condition.

9. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Personally, I'd plate that long-toothed bar handled NEW in silver and PIF the others.

IAmTheJody and GDCarrington like this.
  10. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

I agree. I have that same NEW that I have cleaned up that I am seriously considering having done in Nickel plating. Those look good in Nickel or Chrome, but Nickel is more durable so that is why I recommend it over Chrome.

11. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Yep, nickel would be the right choice. A nickel NEW (this head and handle) is one of the very few razors I'd have on display, if I was a display kind of guy. Just an fantastic looking razor - particularly when nickel - and hands down one of the best shavers EVER.

GDCarrington likes this.
  12. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

This is from Mr. Razor site and is a chrome version, but it gives you some idea of what we mean about the NEW.

norfolk chrome.jpg

DLP likes this.
  13. blanka

Holy cow! That's just flippin' gorgeous! You've convinced me on that one.

GDCarrington likes this.
  14. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I would use the NEW and the Old Type to make sure you like them. Once you do, I would send the NEW and the head of the Old Type to get replated. Pitch the handle with the crack. While they are waiting to be nickel plated, use one of the techs to get you through. Once the replated razor come back, find a friend and pass a tech and a 5 pack of blade on to them to see if you can get them interested.

15. blanka

Yeah, I definitely wanted to keep the head from the old type. Figured it might be a good fit for my Feather Portable handle.

16. newb

newb Resident Newb

Just use them. I would polish up the New down to it's base material. (new's shine up awesome without the gold plating). IMHO

17. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Oohlala! That's a real shiner! Great looking!