What soaps make truly dense, heavy, and cushiony lather?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Fly2High, Jun 13, 2017.

1. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

TSD gang,
    What soaps make truly dense, heavy, thick, and cushiony lather?

Why, it is what I prefer. Of course, it must also be slick :).

Do you find Tallows to make thicker and denser lather than vegans?

Do you find certain additives or types of oils/fats make the lather thicker and denser?

thanks

Frank

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  2. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

Tabac makes about the thickest lather, although Haslinger is pretty good too, in my opinion. I prefer tallow soaps as they seem to provide a better feel afterwards, but I haven't used a wide variety, perhaps 6-8 types.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

danbuter and Tdmsu like this.
  3. LevelupShaves

LevelupShaves Well-Known Member

I feel like you can accomplish the lather you are looking for with any decent soap but I do think Tallow based soaps work better for a dense lather. Arko on the cheap side Razorock xXx for just a little more money. I've also heard great things about Sterling electric sheep as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stingraysrock likes this.
  4. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I like the cushiony thickness I get with Stirling and Rte 66.

5. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Plenty of quality soaps (both tallow and non-tallow based) available today.
    If you look at the SOTD thread, you'll see many of the same soaps being used over & over, which is a pretty good indicator that these soaps perform well.

6. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

From my pass around box samples, I find that vegans tend to be lighter than tallow based soaps but there are exceptions to the rule. MdC is extremely dense and can compete with any tallow out there. Stirling is up there but Rt66 , for me, was lighter.

7. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

All of all the soaps I've tried , tabac and proraso green made big pillowy dense lather.

brit, Tdmsu and LevelupShaves like this.
  8. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

My top votes would be
    -Stirling
    -Mystic Water
    -Route 66

9. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Not really looking for "pillowy". Looking for slick. Rt. 66, Regiment Shaving, Catie's Bubbles, Cella.

10. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Hopefully this won't be a tallow vs. veg thread :) I use plenty of tallow soaps and the same goes for veg based soaps and creams alike. Personally I feel that the water and the "lather maker" has more impact on the lather quality than weather the soap is veg or tallow based. I think that Soap Commander, LaToja, TSD all provide exceptional lather. Arko, Tabac and Stirling also give great lather. I can also get excellent results with all of the Proraso products. Weather tallow or veg, if it doesn't perform; it doesn't get used.
    Disclaimer: my list is not all inclusive and I discount Williams altogether :scared003:

PLAla, Bama Samurai and Tdmsu like this.
  11. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

I agree. I do not care if it is tallow or vegan. All I want to thick, dense lather. I want pancake batter, not crepe batter.

Spyder and lightcs1776 like this.
  12. GarnerPW

GarnerPW Well-Known Member

ARKO RULES!!!

Sent from my phone using some app

Spyder likes this.
  13. theFAT98

theFAT98 Well-Known Member

Tallow makes thicker lather in my opinion.

To me the best are tiki, mikes natural, stirling, mickey lee, mystic waters, cold river soap.

Spyder likes this.
  14. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

ALL HAIL KING OF THE URINAL PUCKS!!!
    :lyrtuy5:

stingraysrock and Spyder like this.
  15. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

No surprise, but to me Tabac is just about perfect.
    B&M, newest CB, WK donkey milk, Reef Point, Dr. Jon's all are excellent.

16. dapper636

dapper636 Active Member

IMHO if you want slick, you need tallow (or some sort of animal fat). We've experimented with vegan, haven't found anything that is up to our standards. I am sure someone has figured it out, but we haven't yet (it's not a priority).

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

RetLEO-07 likes this.
  17. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

A lot of us on here use straight razors, which require a slicker lather. I know lots of straight razor shavers (myself included) that use vegan soap and get excellent slick lather. Don't get me wrong, I love my high fat content soaps, but tallow has nothing to do when picking out my soap for the day:)

theFAT98 likes this.
  18. oldcars

oldcars Member

Doesn't matter to me tallow or vegan. I like creamy, thick, slick lather. My got to's ATM would be Stirling, B&M and CRSW. Got some of the new T&S on its way and have high hopes after seeing good reports.

19. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

Stone Cottage is making some fine shaving soap too. Vegan or tallow doesn't matter to me, good soap is good soap. Arko makes a fine lather but makes me itch like crazy.

swarden43 likes this.
  20. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

Unfortunately what one defines as good soap may not be good to someone else.

I have found soaps that make a lighter lather but are rated very well by many. I prefer a dense lather instead.

That is what this thread is about, soaps that make a thick dense lather. I would say to only mention the quality of slickness/glide but not required.