What Straight Razor Did You Use Today?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by lindyhopper66, Nov 30, 2013.

1. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

I really like your composition. I haven't heard of the maker before. There were so many at one time. What is the red juice with the cork on top, "BlackR..."?

Thanks for keeping this thread going. I have over-shaved and will let my face heal for a few days.

GDCarrington likes this.
  2. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

7/8 W&B "for barbers use"
    [​IMG]

rbtek1, jbooth, Luteplayers and 4 others like this.
  3. lindyhopper66

Nice one. I enjoy the larger blades. Did you restore the Wade and Butcher yourself and what are the scales made of?

4. oscar11

GDCarrington and lindyhopper66 like this.
  5. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Member

The lesser known Frank Dodd (Sheffield) "GEM". That big old blade looks like a football pitch in the morning. It looks and shaves exactly like the barely better known Abram Brooksbank "Edinburgh" and "York" Sheffields. Regular hair-pinger, the GEM.

[​IMG]

6. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

My first 'go' with this particular H.J. Herskovitz (Sheffield) razor. My only 6/8 and I really enjoyed the feel of this blade.
    It is in need of some 'spit & polish' to really shine, but a fine razor nonetheless.
    [​IMG]

jbooth, Tsalagi44, oscar11 and 3 others like this.
  7. Raven312

Raven312 Well-Known Member

I have to take a much better picture but I used my Gemstar Custom restored Geneva Pyramid. It's a GREAT razor and now I understand why the American razors are held in such high esteem. It's sharp, balanced, 2013-11-19 21.57.15.jpg gives great shaves and easily maneuverable. I would recommend one to any beginner.

8. lindyhopper66

Really very nice-looking material.

I like it. I hand sand my finds and never get them to mirror finish. I have no command of my Dremel, so am afraid to go further. Those Sheffields have a good heft to them.

Yes, Geneva, Genco, Case...all the Little River, New York razors are wonderful shavers and easy to hone. Then there's the Torrey and Worchester. Good stuff!

GDCarrington and HolyRollah like this.
  9. Raven312

I have a Torrey also - that I haven't even used yet! LOL

10. lindyhopper66

I have a few, one from an elderly woman friends grandfather's estate. Try it, you'll like it.

Raven312 likes this.
  11. oscar11

I had a pretty good bunch of Geneva Cutlery razors but for some reason sold most of them off but I still have a couple Pyramid 7's. I always liked Geneva/ Genco razors.

Raven312 and GDCarrington like this.
  12. oscar11

5/8 Bengall
    [​IMG]

13. lindyhopper66

Very nice. I haven't heard of any those makers you mentioned. Thanks.

Raven312 likes this.
  14. lindyhopper66

Kawashima Extra Tungsten (Japanese). 1/4 or 1/2 hollow? Let me know.

403589359.jpg

404897463.jpg

rbtek1, jbooth, Tsalagi44 and 4 others like this.
  15. oscar11

J. Rodgers & Sons
    [​IMG]

rbtek1, jbooth, Tsalagi44 and 3 others like this.
  16. Raven312

BEAUTIFUL!!

17. oscar11

W&B
    Zero restoration, just sharpen and shave. I do like they way these wedges shave, not better, just different.
    [​IMG]

jbooth, TSimons and HolyRollah like this.
  18. lindyhopper66

I'm about to shave with these two straights that I rescued from antique stores in and around Danville, Virginia.
    Blue Steel, a Carl Schmidt, Germany razor and a Geo. Wostenholm pipe razor, with no country on the tang, so I guess this English razor was made before 1891.

BlueSteelFrontSmall.jpg
    GeoWostyFrontSmall.jpg

jbooth, Tsalagi44, TSimons and 3 others like this.
  19. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Can't find any brand on my one and only straight. I use it only in the weekends, and make the third pass with my trusted Rolls. But that is only for touch-up, lately. Getting the hang of it.

SoS-2013-12-14.jpg

jbooth, oscar11 and lindyhopper66 like this.
  20. lindyhopper66

Good deal! I have a few Rolls and only tried shaving with it a couple of times. I had to take out the hone to sharpen the blades and still didn't get a smooth enough, sharp enough edge. Do you hone your blades on a hone you'd use with your straight? I've seen some post where someone improvised a holder to make it easier to hone on other hones. Any honing strategy to pass along? You've got me wanting to try the Rolls again.

macaronus likes this.