What Straight Razor Did You Use Today?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by lindyhopper66, Nov 30, 2013.

1. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I actually liked it. Of course the big test was when my wife gave me a sniff. It was a thumbs up. Not bad for a 50¢ find

2. mrchick

Jacob Ray El Diablo
    [​IMG]

3. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

:signs011: You beat me to it Jim. That is one purdy razor:)

4. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG]
    Sure is..:happy097:

Billy..:chores016:

5. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

On a whim I grabbed my grandpa's straight today. It was surprisingly smooth and efficient in the first pass. I couldn't believe how it had changed. Then I remembered I had shaved yesterday so it was only facing one day of stubble instead of my usual two. :D Still a very enjoyable shave. :happy088:

Hot water preparation
    AOS Lavender PSO
    Haslinger Honig Shave Soap
    Savile Row 3824 Silvertip Badger
    Nielsens Never Fail 5/8
    Osma Bloc d'Alun
    AOS Lavender After Shave Balm

Nielsens Never Fail AOS HASH SR AOS.JPG

Happy shaving - Karl

6. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Okina 翁 KJKMA 5/8. Wonderful shaver. Nice heavy scalpel sharp blade. If all Japanese blades are like this; everybody should have one:)

IMG_0374.JPG

7. mrchick

Very nice!

8. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Tonight's shave was with a great shaving razor that takes a very keen edge. Super sharp, yet forgiving. I had a two pass shave that went very smoothly. No nicks, cuts, or weepers, just smooth results. I highly recommend everyone have at least one of these razors in their rotation.

Razor- Wade & Butcher. Camel Bone Scales.

Wade & Butcher Camel Bone Scales.JPG

9. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Your W&B would good in my rotation :innocent

10. DaltonGang

:happy097::happy102:. Hmmmm, I will have to think about that.

11. DaltonGang

:):):):):):):). :eatdrink047: ???????

12. SolingerStahl

SolingerStahl Well-Known Member

Restoration & Test-SOTN 2017-02-21
    Today an 1890s Rodier-Gauthier IC Vincent Garanti 5/8 Screw-Frameback in Horn Scales arrived and I thought it would be a good idea to create a slightly lager blade for it... and finally it was worth the whole work !

[​IMG]

Greetings from Solingen
    Rainer

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
  13. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Wow. It would be great if you could post a tutorial on how you did that. What type of knife did you use? A steak knife ?

So many questions.

Great work.

Tom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

14. DaltonGang

Excellent work. Yes, a tutorial would be nice. How was the shave???

15. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Clauss
    [​IMG]
    This was my shave tonight and yesterday. Yesterday's shave was bad with this razor. I only had 2 days growth.

Yesterday the first pass was a bit tuggy when I had the razor at my normal angle. I really had to reduce the angle to stop the tug. Second pass I kept the same shallow angle. The reduction for 2 passes was like a single pass. I put the razor down not wanting to tempt fate.

Tonight when I got home. I got the straight out and gave it a good look under my loop. I saw no problems. So decided to take it back to 3k, then progress through 12k. I then opted to take it to 1 micron film. I then finished it off my pasted strops. Gave it a good stopping.

Tonights shave was a world of difference. Super smooth and no tugging at all. The only thing I can think is, I must have stropped it wrong the last shave.

Live and learn.

16. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

17. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

I need to save my pennies. I just love those Koraats.

Tom

18. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

You will not regret it.

19. SolingerStahl

SolingerStahl Well-Known Member

Hi Tom,
    I simply outlined the shadow of the old blade with a black marker pen and cut out the new carbon steel blade from an 1900s Henckels TWINS Dinner Knife with a thin Inox cutting disc...
    Then I had to give it the new shape on the grindstones to look like an unworn blade with approx. 7/8 wide...
    To fit into the frameback of the IC VINCENT, I had to enlarge the spine slot a little bit with a chisel and to sand down the spine of the new blade to correct thickness...
    This was followed by some surface cosmetics and sharpening / honing and the new blade was ready to use...

[​IMG]

You should not try this at home if you don't have a stationary bench grinder or multi tool drive, as you need a couple of cutting and grinding tools to get out the result... ;-)

Greetings from Solingen

Rainer

20. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG]
    Two Pass Shaving Routine..:cool:

Hot Water Prep & Massage with Argan Oil
    Herder Solingen Stainless Steel Full Hollow 5/8th
    Mason Pearson Pure Badger
    Phoenix & Beau Tallow Soap
    Logona Mann Balm

I had a Great Shave Today with My Stainless Herder Solingen 5/8th..Lovely Keen & Comfortable Edge on this SR ..These are Great Shavers these Old Stainless Herders & Very Hone Friendly..A Wee Blade with a Big Heart..:D

I Am Dolphin Smooth & Refreshed..:kar:

Billy..:chores016:

Spyder, Kizurra, Keithmax and 10 others like this.