What Straight Razor Did You Use Today?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by lindyhopper66, Nov 30, 2013.

1. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

6/8 Gong
    Omega 10049 knot
    MWF
    Myrsol Lemon

Nice shave, just like downtown.

[​IMG]screen shot pc

2. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Alright, another member with The Gong razor. I thought I was one of the only ones around.

3. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

The Geo. Korn got the call today. Sub-par reduction on the first pass - OK on the second but a clean, smooth finish with minimal noise from the alum. So, does it matter if the result is nice but the journey wasn't what was expected? :rofl:

Hot water preparation
    AOS Lavender PSO
    Haslinger Schafmilch Shave Soap
    Savile Row 3824 Silvertip
    Geo. W. Korn 7004 5/8
    Osma Bloc d'Alun
    T&H Classic After Shave Balm

Geo W Korn 7004 5:8 AOS HASS SR TH.JPG

Happy shaving - Karl

4. DaltonGang

The end is what matters most. But, did you have any tugging, or did you have to apply extra pressure to get to the smooth results? If there was a yes to any of these two questions, well, you know what you have to do.

5. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Actually I have been experimenting with lighter pressure than usual and maybe that was the X factor. I'm hoping the steel quality is not the problem. The next shave with it should tell the tale. :happy088:

I wouldn't have thought it but maybe there is such a thing as too little pressure with a hollow ground. When I say sub-par reduction I mean I can still see the stubble easily and have to pass over it multiple times (e.g. 4 or 5 times kind of thing.)

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
  6. DaltonGang

Tonight's shave was with my Little Stubby Wedge Razor. I had silent and smooth, 2 pass shave. I was left smoother than a baby Dolphin. Only one small nick, out of nowhere. I didn't even feel it. Very nice razor.

Razor- W.Greaves & Sons.
    Brush- B 400 By Tom
    Soap- Mitchells Wool Fat
    Aftershave- Osage Rub.
    P4260857.JPG

7. Beadog

Beadog Well-Known Member

Another embarrassingly ugly razor, but a great shaver. A "Royal Blue" wedge, pitted and honed almost to a nub. One of the first old razors that I cleaned up and honed myself. I still pull it out occasionally and take it for a spin. It never disappoints!

RoyalBlueShave.JPG

8. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Another evening with some Sheffield steel. Tonight's date was wit G. Johnson. Three passes and dolphin skin :cool:

IMG_0692.JPG

9. M14Shooter

M14Shooter Well-Known Member

F.W.Engels Leader 13/16 Round Point
    leader01.jpg

10. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

I don't know if this applies, but what the heck. :)

2nd shave with my new Gemisori. A home-made GEM blade shavette. I made it for the $2.00 DIY challenge ( => *click* <= ). It is made from a copper pipe which I basically bashed flat with a hammer and which I hacksawed, filed and sanded further into shape. I dulled the corners of the GEM blade a bit as well, so as not to scratch myself too much... ;)

2 passes with the Gemisori and a final pass & touch-up with the albino injector. Smoooooth. :)

SoS 2017-04-27.jpg

11. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Cool beans! Thanks for posting that. That's a very creative idea :happy088:

12. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

George Korn razors are amazing. The steel on them is the ultra-fine grained New York/Little Valley/ Pennsylvania steel that was used by W.R. Case & Sons, Cattaraugus, Kinfolks, and other cutleries. I would say unless the temper was lost, the steel isn't the issue. Korn was a master grinder from Germany, and he worked for all of those companies. I have several of his razors, and they will take and hold an amazing edge. Mine tend to give amazing shaves, but since they are all small blades I do find myself using a little more pressure.

13. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

That's what I'm hoping - perhaps went too light on the pressure - their reputation is tops. :happy088:

14. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Yesterday's shave: Geo. Korn American Double Hollow
    IMG_6060.jpg

15. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

16. Beadog

Beadog Well-Known Member

Wow! I really need to add some "lookers" to my stable. I just drool over most of the razor photos in this thread!

17. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

18. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

Nice 2 pass DFS today using Shave Secret and a 6/8 Takehama Square Toe

19. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Hey Brian, what is the handle made of on that beauty?

20. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Thanks It's stabilized birch burl.