What Straight Razor Did You Use Today?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by lindyhopper66, Nov 30, 2013.

1. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Tonight's shave was with an old "Rusty Crusty Razor", that I cleaned up, a while back. This razor is laser sharp, and delivers a flawless 2 pass shave, every time. It leaves me with a Smooth shave. Excellent razor. So, Tonight, it's an all vintage shave.

Vintage Razor- J.A.Henckel's Zwillings Werks.
    Vintage Brush- German Oceans Boar
    Vintage Soap- Yardley Shave Soap
    Vintage Aftershave- Avon Spicy
    P4270858.JPG

2. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

The scales are cool, there is something special about a razor with patina that shaves great. Beauty is in the eye of the beyholder. Looks great to me.

3. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Gorgeous. I bet it even looks better in person...

Billyfergie, Karl G, Kizurra and 2 others like this.
  4. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

A really nice comfortable American made shaver by Berkshire Cutlery. Two passes got the job done in jig time.

IMG_0592.JPG

5. Beadog

Beadog Well-Known Member

Filarmonica 14 DT. "User grade", but works great!

IMG_0905.JPG

6. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I used my Wade and Butcher "Elite" this morning and had a very nice shave. I really should polish it up a bit more.

IMG_2376.jpg

7. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

Dovo Favorit 10 Fritz Bracht

DSCF1432.jpg

8. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Otto Deutsch Hans [​IMG]

9. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Dubl Duck Satinedge 5/8"

[​IMG]

10. George X

George X Well-Known Member

I don't own an Otto yet, but some day I will. I love the looks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Billyfergie, Kizurra, Spyder and 2 others like this.
  11. mrchick

It's a pretty razor. I'm fortunate to have one without cell rot issues. A lot of them were destroyed by cell rot.

Billyfergie, Karl G, Kizurra and 3 others like this.
  12. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

They ARE sweet shavers—and, as Brian alluded to, hard to find in usable condition due to their susceptibility to developing celluloid rot in the scales (and, most times, resulting damage to the steel). I keep mine in it's case out of light and away from moisture when not in use.

Evident cell rot on an ODH...
    $(KGrHqMOKpoE4mf2BHMZBOUDdiV-8w~~48_3.jpg

13. George X

Good ones have been extremely hard to find and that's the thrill of the hunt. Very similar to the Dubl Ducks you have and restored. I live vicariously through you guys and am hopeful to find the gems someday

14. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Absolutely! One caveat I would give is whenever you come across a ODH (Otto Deutsch Hans) for sale, especially online, be sure the seller has posted photos of the entire blade (both sides) as cell rot presents itself usually on the blade first (gas emissions corrode the steel, leaving a speckled effect across the blade face, near where it is closest to the scales) before it becomes obvious on the scales (dull & cloudy). There is no cure.... ;)

15. George X

Good point. I have seen some blades that look like nice and shines but they metal doesn't look smooth. Makes me think they been spray painted or doctored up to look better than they are.

16. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Tonight's shave was with a big chunky wedge. It was one of my rescue razors, that looked almost hopeless. It's now a First String shaver. I had a fine 2 pass shave, that was silent, and left a near BBS shave. Excellent old razor. BTW, I'm doing further fixes on the cracks near the pivot pin. The scales were in pieces when I was working on it originally.

Razor- "Philadelphia Works" Cast steel Wedge.
    Brush- B 400 By Tom
    Soap- Stirling Spicy
    Aftershave- Avon Spicy
    P4280859.JPG

17. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

J West, not sure of the specifics

ID - 1.jpg

18. mrchick

Send it to me, I'll figure it out

Karl G, Kizurra, Billyfergie and 5 others like this.
  19. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I used my Morley and Sons "Damascus" razor this morning and had a very nice shave. It's a real pleasure using this razor and it holds an unbelievable edge.

IMG_2378.jpg

20. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Eiko 'Glory' JWest razor, 13/16"— scary sharp! I'm thoroughly enjoying this floral fougére soap (limited release) from Soap Commander.[​IMG]

Drygulch, macaronus, Karl G and 10 others like this.