What Straight Razor Did You Use Today?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by lindyhopper66, Nov 30, 2013.

1. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Frederick Reynolds [​IMG]

2. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Vintage Sheffield 3/4" fuller-bladed "The Celebrated 3415" razor from Joseph Smith & Sons (1830-60)

[​IMG]

3. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Early shave roday for early evening meeting. This one took an exceptionally smooth edge. Another baby has been caught:)

IMG_1226.JPG

I thought I used up the last of my Stirling Tuscany last night, but alas! A small sliver remained. Being a good frugal Dutchman; I went at it with the Semogue boar. Enough left for another three pass shave :happy108:

IMG_1459.JPG

4. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Tonight's shave was with a freshly acquired and honed razor. I had a very smooth 2 pass shave, that left me with a DFS. This is a very very sharp, Big blade, almost too sharp. It is also a smiling blade, which these combinations allowed me to get a small nick.

Razor- Wade and Butcher. Sheffield.
    Soap- LNHC Tobacco and Bay
    Brush- Semogue 1800 Boar
    Aftershave- Pinaud Clubman
    P8151145.JPG

5. M14Shooter

M14Shooter Well-Known Member

George Butler 6/8 Shakespeare Razor.Honed this Razor on a Belgian Couticle and did finial finish on an Escher.I have a 5/8 George Butler that shaves great .But I love how the 6/8 shaves .Almost no effort to cut the whiskers .The edge came out fantastic buttery smooth and keen at the same time .I love old Sheffield Steel. BBS in two Passes.
    gb4.jpg

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
  6. mrchick

7. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Tonight's shave was with a New Chinese Razor, freshly honed. I had a very smooth, and sharp, 2 pass shave, that left me near BBS. Zero issues.
    This $7 razor can take an edge, with some of the best Vintage Sheffield and Solingen blades I've got. The edge is straight as an arrow, and it requires minimal stone work, to acquire a scary sharp edge. The scales are plastic, but they are sturdy and perfectly centered. I have two of these, and both razors are fitted well, to their scales. So, if anyone is thinking of getting into Straight Razor Shaving, for cheap, this would be my first choice.

Razor- Chinese ZY. 7/8th inch.
    Brush- Semogue 1800 Boar
    Soap- Stirling Ozark Mountain
    Aftershave- Florida Water
    P8161146.JPG

8. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

9. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

John Clarke. Another great Sheffield razor. Three passes and silky smooth.

IMG_0429.JPG

10. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Forgot to post from this morning. :ashamed001:
    Still 'breaking in' the new kid in town. Third shave with this French-point—which I regrettably discovered will cleanly slice through facial flesh without a hint of tugging...:D

[​IMG]

11. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Koraat 7/8 with a little smile.
    IMG_3885.jpg

12. mrchick

Wonderful blade, isn't it?

13. mrchick

Ruh roh! Not too bad, I hope.

14. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Nope...just a little (less than 1/4") clean slice on the cheek where the tip touched with a bit too much pressure. A scarlet dribbler.
    :signs131:

15. mrchick

Ouch!

16. mrchick

Portland Razor Company Siren [​IMG]

17. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Vintage Hoshi Tombo 6000.....smmmoooooth!

[​IMG]

18. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Lucky me. The light restore and new scales lovingly done by @HolyRollah arrived a day early. No need to wait for three days of beard, my W&B arrived just in time to take on my usual two. :happy093:

One way to describe the shave would be to simply say it shaves as good as it looks. The edge was fantastic, the falling of the whiskers was accompanied by a light scraping sound as the blade moved effortlessly through the stubble. It was equally smooth, the first stroke told me I was in for a treat. And the scales were perfect, never noticeable and just right for the razor. It's a stunner and will be happily showing up again in the SOTDs. :happy036:

Hot water preparation
    AOS Lavender PSO
    Mike's Natural Soaps Hungarian Lavender
    Savile Row 3824 Silvertip Badger
    Wade & Butcher 6/8
    Osma Bloc d'Alun
    Thayers Witch Hazel Rose Petal

W&B 6:8 AOS MNSHL SR TWHR.jpg W&B 6:8 AOS MNSHL SR TWHR Strop.jpg

Happy shaving - Karl

19. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Yes thanks, I really like it.