What Straight Razor Did You Use Today?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by lindyhopper66, Nov 30, 2013.

1. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Tonight's shave was with a freshly acquired, restored, and honed razor. I has a buttery smooth 2 pass shave, that left me BBS. Zero issues. Wonderful razor.

Razor- Wade and Butcher "Bow Razor".
    Brush- Semogue 1800 Boar
    Soap- Stirling Ozark Mountain
    Aftershave- Pinaud Clubman

P8171149.JPG

2. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

:happy036:
    Karl, that is a real beauty! I love those scales.
    :happy088:

3. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

And to think that I was hoping you'd hate it so I could step up and graciously take it off your hands :angelic007:

4. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Tonight's shave was completed by the Opp's barber supply. I don't know what German company made these for export, but this little fella was super easy to get a scalpel sharp edge on:)
    IMG_1437.JPG

Tonight's shave was with a le edition soap by cold river soap works. The proceeds of this soap are going towards a very sick young man. The name is Jeff's soap. I must say that I'm really impressed with this soap! A clean, green scent, fresh and bright! Notes of melon, cucumber, citrus (bergamot & grapefruit) and night blooming jasmine.
    This smells very close to Soap Commanders discontinued, Motivation (cucumber and bamboo), which is one of my favorites. For you SC fans, this is right up there. Very slick, mild summer scent. I highly recommend this soap; not to mention that it's for a good cause.

IMG_1466.JPG

Paired up with Henna dePravia, and I'm definitely celebrating summer tonight!

5. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

This was the first straight I bought and I never liked the scales it came with. Kevin did an awesome job mating it with the perfect complement of size, balance, and classic look. :happy088:

I know I can always count on you to help out in a pinch. :happy102:

6. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I have to admit I always step up to take one for the team :rofl:

7. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I had a few extra minutes this morning, so I took out my Wade and Butcher "elite". It was a smooth and comfortable shave!

IMG_2583.jpg

8. DaltonGang

Nice looking little Wade and Butcher. I think the W&B razors and Wostys are two of my favorite brand of vintage razors.

9. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

5/8 Antoni Tadross
    Volcans
    Shavemac knot

My barber gave me a couple of straight razors last time I got a hair cut. This is one of them. It took a nice edge and gave a very good shave this morning. The other razor was an old Henry Sears wedge (W&B style). Have a good one.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
  10. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Nice barber!

11. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

12. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

Francisque Delolme Le Thiernois

DSC05121.jpg

13. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Vintage NOS 'Red Hed' 50 from Otto Fromm.[​IMG]

14. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Toss in William Greaves & Sons and you've a terrific trio of quality Sheffield makers! :happy088:

15. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Don't forget Frederick Reynolds.

16. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

...nor all the "Joe & Sons" (Joseph Allen & Sons, Joseph Rodgers & Sons , Joseph Elliot & Sons, Joseph Smith & Sons), Thomas Turner & Co, Freddie Fenney, Marshes & Shepherd...plus a number of other 'lesser' known makers.
    Some hidden gems out there wth Sheffield origins.

17. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

Yes, she the last of the old time barbers still working from when I was a kid (I'm 64 years old). She doesn't do straight shaves anymore but if any of her customers drop off a razor for nostalgic reasons she knows who's interested. The only thing that surprises me is the amount of small razors she comes up with (1/2" and 3/8"). They must have been very popular at one time. Fashion or function, who knows?

18. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

John Clarke and son (singular) and G. Johnson added to the list.

19. DaltonGang

Sounds like a new thread needs to be started. Maybe, what are your top five Vintage Razor Makers?

20. DaltonGang

Today's shave was with an excellent little wedge. I have a few razors from the Union Cutlery Co., Olean NY, and they never disappoint. I had a very smooth, and near silent 2 pass shave, with BBS results. There is something about a wedge shave, that is fun. Maybe because it feels nothing like a Hollow Ground razor. When I first used these Wedge Razors, I said; "Crap, this is a dud razor". Silent, stiff, and smooth. But, I felt my face, and to my surprise, smooth as silk.

Razor- Union Cutlery Co. "Gold Spike". Wedge.
    Brush- Semogue, 1800 Boar
    Soap- Stirling, Ozark Mountain
    Aftershave- Arctic Blue
    P8181150.JPG