What Straight Razor Have You Honed Lately????

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Sep 25, 2016.

1. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Well, did you hone it yet?

2. Bjoerge Brathagen

Bjoerge Brathagen Well-Known Member

you have som really nice ones there!!

Kizurra, Karl G, Drygulch and 2 others like this.
  3. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Not yet.
    That particular blade has a few more 'issues' than a bum edge... :eek:

Kizurra, Karl G, Jim99 and 3 others like this.
  4. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

The one with the tangerine clear scales looks interesting :rolleyes:

Kizurra, Karl G, Drygulch and 2 others like this.
  5. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG]
    :happy036:

Billy..:chores016:

Spyder, Kizurra, Karl G and 2 others like this.
  6. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

Yep! A bunch O razors!

Spyder, Kizurra, Karl G and 3 others like this.
  7. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Adam, I'll do you a favor.... you can send some to me so that way you won't have to hone them. :happy102:

Spyder, Kizurra, Karl G and 2 others like this.
  8. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Take 'em down in small bites. Focus on the 'easy' fixes first, save the bigger challenges for later.
    This is what I try to do when facing a HUGE backlog of SRs in need of either some restoration or, at the minimum, a good honing.
    1) Ones that only need a simple cleaning and hone go to the top of the list.
    2) Next are those that require some blade correction or hardware replacement.
    3) Next are those that require new scales or have some serious issue that require both time and patience.

Obviously I've plenty of #3s in this one of three SR drawers, but there are some here that can be 'fixed' more quickly.
    All in good time... :D
    [​IMG]

alpla444, Kizurra, Karl G and 6 others like this.
  9. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

That is a Western States Cutlery Company. The Platt family from Little Valley, NY started this company when they closed Cattaragus and moved to Colorado. Its the only one I have found, so far.
    Yes. Lots of work to do.
    Let me think about that.

I thought about it. No.
    I understand. I have another 25 or so in my rotation right now. The box has the ones that just need a hone. I also have 13 with no scales, 3 that need new scales, and four or five with big issues. I also have a "Letter Opener" pile. I think I am going to make shadow boxes out of these and sell them on Etsy.

alpla444, Kizurra, DaltonGang and 6 others like this.
  10. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Just sell them on eBay as "shave ready". You won't be the only one.. :innocent

11. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

How do you think I bought them?

Keithmax, alpla444, Karl G and 4 others like this.
  12. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Classic :happy102:

13. Bjoerge Brathagen

Bjoerge Brathagen Well-Known Member

if all the razors sold as shave ready really was. what would be the fun in that?

Keithmax, Karl G, Spyder and 2 others like this.
  14. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

Honed the scheonburg two days in a row. Damn hard steel for sure. Test shave this morning showed that it wasn't nearly sharp enough. I think I got it this time. While I was at it I finished the KB Extra. Shave tests pending. They both are pretty darn sharp.....

IMG_1578.JPG IMG_1579.JPG

Jim99, Keithmax, Hillbilly79 and 7 others like this.
  15. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I just got a Flic 6/8.
    The blade is in excellent condition. All wash is intact and perfect. No scratches or pitting. Little hone wear, and the bevel is straight and sharp enough to shave arm hair .
    • What are the experts recommended honing program?
      • Start with new bevel?
      • Tape?
      • Or refresh from 4K and up?
    One other non honing question; there is some hairline cracking around the hinge pin. Any way to either repair or stabilize? Or just wait till it eventually fails and re-scale?

IMG_0180.JPG IMG_0181.JPG IMG_0182.JPG IMG_0183.JPG IMG_0184.JPG I

Keithmax, Hillbilly79, 6cuda6 and 5 others like this.
  16. DaltonGang

I see three hairline cracks. I would soak in warm water and soap, to get all oil off it, and from inside the crack. Let it dry well, and add some superglue. You can buff the excess off after it dries.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
    Karl G, Redfisher, Kizurra and 3 others like this.
  17. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Well I just couldn't wait for any advice. I taped the spine and decided to start with a new bevel. I used the Norton 4/8k. I used the 40 circles to sharp method. I had the bevel set and started on the final step and noticed a small chip out of the bevel:(. So I killed the edge and started over. IDK, maybe using tape made the edge fragile by changing the angle:signs002:. Finished up the process on the Norton and finished with 1micron lapping paper and strop. Tree toppin arm hairs, which is a good sign. First pass; is this thing even cutting? Checked the lather on the blade; holy crap! The lather is full of hair! Three passes and this razor shaves almost identical to my new Dovo. I'm really stoked with the way this one shaves:bounce017:

Jim99, Keithmax, Hillbilly79 and 6 others like this.
  18. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG]
    Just Honed this Factory Fresh NOS Commie Boctock 5/8th for a Forum Party Comrade..Honed Up like a Dream..As Expected the Factory Grind is Par Excellence..Man..These Feel Perfect on the Hone Once the Bevel has Been Set..In My Experience the Geometry Tolerances of these Russian SRs is 2nd to None..:D

Billy..:chores016:

Jim99, Keithmax, Hillbilly79 and 5 others like this.
  19. DaltonGang

Today, I honed an inexpensive Chinese made Razor. New production. It was supposed to be a ZY Razor, but I was sent the wrong thing.
    For those that have kept up with the Russian Razor Thread, you will know what I mean, when I say that this one was a tough one to hone. The steel was very hard, and it took well over an hour to set the bevel. To made matters worse, the blade was 13/16th with a spine not thick enough. The bevel was very large, and took a while to get there. About half way into the bevel set, on my 1k, I was wishing I had a 600 grit stone. I decided to add 4 layers of tape. That narrowed the bevel up some. I then ran it through the 3k/8k, then the 8k 12k 15k Welsh Slate Stones. It did some laps on the strops and is now very sharp. Ready for a shave.

Razor- Chinese "RenRen" $7.49 delivered.
    P1240572.JPG

20. DaltonGang

I honed up a mystery razor, that was revealed to be an old Wade & Butcher. I had to take two tiny chips out of the heel, which went fast. Then I reset the Bevel with 1 layer of tape. I progressed as usual through the Welsh Slate stones, and this razor took on a very Keen edge, with hair popping results, all the way down the edge. I will give it a try tonight.

Before:
    P1250576.JPG
    P1250575.JPG

After: I didn't want too high of a shine. So, I just buffed it out slightly. It didn't need much.
    P1250578.JPG