What Straight Razor Have You Honed Lately????

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Sep 25, 2016.

1. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Another honing today. This one is different from my other Japanese Razors. This one is a true Kamisori Ground blade. I had to decide whether to put a Japanese bevel on it, or a Western style Bevel. I added Two layers of tape, due to the excessive spine wear. That worked great, and gave it a beautiful sized bevel. I started out with the Japanese bevel, which was wickedly sharp, but ended up with the Western style bevel. I progressed as usual, for my razors, and finished with the Welsh Slate Stones. After I was finished stropping, I took an ultra fine blonde hair, from my daughters brush. The razor popped the hair all the way down the edge. I also angled the cut, on the hair, for fun, and split the hair lengthwise about 3/16th of an inch. Sharp sharp sharp. This will be interesting to shave with.

Razor- MICOR 8000 Kamisori
    P1250581.JPG

2. DaltonGang

Today was a busy day. 4 razors, and one was a restore.

Hibbard, Spencer, Bartlett & Co. Restore and Hone. Fantastic edge with the Welsh Slate Stones. I shaved with it, and it performed beautifully. $10 find.

Before
    P1290588.JPG
    P1290590.JPG

After
    P1290593.JPG
    P1290595.JPG

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
    Kizurra, Keithmax, Jim99 and 4 others like this.
  3. DaltonGang

Second two razors. These just never felt perfect. So, I reset the bevel and worked them up on the Welsh Slate sones as finishers.

Japanese Crown. Excellent hair popper, all the way.
    P1290602.JPG

Japanese Feon. The heel never was to my liking. So, a Complete bevel reset. Excellent and super sharp.
    P1290601.JPG

Kizurra, Jim99, Keithmax and 5 others like this.
  4. DaltonGang

Oops, forgot the last one. It just wasn't as sharp as I wanted it to be. I've put some super sharp edges on my recent honing jobs, and I now want all to perform as well. So, I did a quick bevel reset and progressed through my Welsh Slate Stones. Very very sharp . I will shave with all this week.

Japanese "T.F.Hairop Barbers 120"
    P1290600.JPG

Kizurra, Drygulch, Jim99 and 5 others like this.
  5. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Black Diamond.
    [​IMG]
    Just finished honing my newly refurbished Black Diamond. I did a Naniwa progression to 12k. Then finished on my Thuri.

Off to shave now.

Tom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

6. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    My Tuckmar Solingen Finest Silver Steel 5/8th Arrived Today..Its Factory Fresh & in Mint Condition..It has an Excellent Factory Grind..I Will Hone Her Tonight..My Next Shave I Reckon..:D

Stole this from a Poor Auld Grand Maw..:rofl:

Billy..:chores016:

7. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG]
    Just Honed My Tuckmar Solingen Finest Silver Steel 5/8th Full Hollow Just a Moment Ago..Solingen SRs Typically Hone Up Very Well & this One was No Exception..It was Tree Topping Hairs on My Arm from the 1 K Naniwa Bevel Stone..Took a Very Fine Edge..My Shave for Tomorrow..:)

Billy..:chores016:

8. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Filarmonica Doble Temple 12
    [​IMG]
    I just honed up my newest addition to my family. This was previously owned by an old barber. The blade was probably shave ready. I opted to give it a bit of time on my Thuri. I built a bit of slurry and went to town. Slowly reducing the slurry to only water.

This will be my shave this evening.

Tom

Kizurra, Keithmax, Spyder and 5 others like this.
  9. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

That sure is a nice blade:)

10. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Dude, those are horrible shavers. You are going to regret letting that touch your face. If you want it taken care of, I have a relative it can stay with at my place.

11. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Thanks Adam. I love how everybody looks out for each other. It is in the mail. Thanks for saving my life

Tom

12. Bjoerge Brathagen

Bjoerge Brathagen Well-Known Member

20170205_180437_resized.jpg
    today i honed this Case red-imp 5/8. this one is an e-bay score. there was som rust/pitting on the bevel that did not shoved on the pictures,but it honed out easily.
    as always with my U.S straights this was finished on the black ark. test shave will be tomorrow.except for the bevel rust/pitting the blade is superb with no corrosion,and next to non hone wear.

alpla444, Kizurra, Keithmax and 6 others like this.
  13. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Great score! Glad to hear you were able to get it honed.

Kizurra, DaltonGang, Karl G and 2 others like this.
  14. Bjoerge Brathagen

congrats with your filly:)i think these fillys is among the best shavers there is.when looking at the gold wash it seems like it has not seen much previous usage.

Kizurra, Karl G, twhite and 1 other person like this.
  15. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

It is like new. Only a few scratches on the scales. The bevel on it is perfect.

Kizurra, DaltonGang, Drygulch and 4 others like this.
  16. Bjoerge Brathagen

20170207_142918_resized.jpg
    today i honed this 3/8 solingen razor.it`s from the 1930`s. i bought this to my wife to use on her eyebrowes. she`s been using a shavette til now.but often got small nicks,so i thought this might be better.finnished on the ZG.

alpla444, Kizurra, Keithmax and 5 others like this.
  17. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

CF Schwartz&Co
    [​IMG]
    This is the other razor I got with the strop and Filly
    It had a tiny nick, so I took it thru the Naniwa progression. I then gave it a good 200 licks on my Trans Ark. on to my newly refurbished strop.

I will take it for a test run Sunday night. I am hoping my little love bite from @DaltonGang razor will be healed enough not to start leaking

Tom

18. DaltonGang

I refinished this Dubl Duck last week, and just got around to honing it. First I lapped the Welsh Slate Stones on a large piece of granite tile with 320 grit wet/dry paper. I have honed a lot of razors since last lapping these stones, and they showed very little wear, but they still needed a little touchup.
    Getting on to the Dubl Duck. This blade made me a little apprehensive, because the blade is paper thin. I know that when I refinished the blade, I did not thin it out much, and noticed beforehand how thin the blade was. So, slowly I progressed, with as little pressure as I could muster. 1k King stone, 3k/8k mystery stone, 8k 12k 15k Welsh Slate Stones. Then 10 laps on a Chromium Oxide Strop, 30 on the linen, and approx. 100 on the leather(Illinois 827). In the end, the blade is as sharp as I have ever gotten one. any hair it touches, no matter how fine the hair, pops instantly. That's sharp. I will give it a shave tonight.

Razor- Pearlduck Dubl Duck Dwarf (AKA. "The Ugly Duckling")

Before:
    upload_2017-2-12_10-57-54.png
    upload_2017-2-12_10-58-12.png

After:
    Dubl Duck Dwarf.JPG

Keithmax, alpla444, Kizurra and 4 others like this.
  19. Bjoerge Brathagen

Nice restore:) just ordred som restore supplies.

Kizurra, DaltonGang, Karl G and 2 others like this.
  20. DaltonGang

The next hone was only a partial hone. The last time I shaved with it, I had to do too much work on touch-ups. So, I put two layers of tape on it, due to the spine wear, ant took it back to a light 3k. Then I progressed quickly through the Welsh Slate stones. The usual strop work, and this one is ready for a shave. Much sharper than before.

Razor- Japanese 飛燕 HIEN 東京
    P2120639.JPG