What Straight Razor Have You Honed Lately????

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Sep 25, 2016.

1. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

That's a beauty.

Spyder, Karl G, Kizurra and 3 others like this.
  2. TheFiveO

TheFiveO Well-Known Member

Honed this guy last night. A fellow member sent to me for some work. I did a light restoration, mostly just lots of polishing on the blade and tonight I finally got around to honing. The razor is an 1800's Joseph Rogers Wedge. For it's age, it's in really good shape. I had to get rid of the saw blade edge on #400 diamond hone and then butter knifed it on the edge of the Chosera. The progression was as follows:

[​IMG]

Bevel Set : Chosera 1K
    Middle Stones: Naniwa 3k/8K Combo Specialty Stone
    Finishing Stone : Naniwa 12K
    Finishing: Whipped Dog Balsa strop. 20 laps green / 20 laps red
    Strop: @Drygulch Horsehide

[​IMG]

Test shave was great! Needs a little more toe work, but for an hours work, not bad

3. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Gold Dollar
    [​IMG]
    Decided I wanted to give my GD an Arky finish. So I busted out my stones and went to town. I needed to even the heel out so i took it back to Naniwa 1k. Then did my progression thru 12k. It was popping hairs nicely.

Then on to my Trans Arky. Started with 30 circular then 30 X's. Progressed down in increments of 5. Then 5 laps on my FeO leather. Finished up on my shell strop.

I will give it a go tomorrow. Then this weekend bust out a set of scales.

Tom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Keithmax, Jim99, Spyder and 5 others like this.
  4. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I Just Honed this Nice Hadoson 63 Matsukura Company Made in Tokyo 6/8th that Arrived in the Post Today..The Typical EBay Shave Ready Ploy..It had Been Honed or Half Honed..I Reset the Bevel Put it through a Naniwa Super Stone Progression..I Finished on 20 K Microfilm..Lovely Hard Japanese Steel & it Took a Killer Edge Man..:D

Och Aye the Noo..:happy102:

Billy..:chores016:

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
  5. Billyfergie

[​IMG]
    I Honed a Rolls Hollow Ground Blade on a Naniwa Super Stone Progression for a Fellow Forum Member..I Love to see the Bevels Shine Like a Dalek Lighting Up from Dr Who..Exterminate, Exterminate..:happy102:

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
    Linuxguile, Keithmax, Kizurra and 6 others like this.
  6. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Honing Progression on this American-made full-hollow (thin steel!) blade from The Clauss Shear Co., Fremont, Ohio (1877-1953)
    • Chosera Pro 1k bevel set
    • Naniwa SS 3k > 5k
    • Okuda Suita (pre-finisher)
    • Mikawa Shiro Four Nagura Progression (Botan, Tenyjou, Mejor, Koma) on a Shobudani Asahi (finisher)
    Cotton linen and fast bridle leather stropping. Super-smooth feel to this 'somewhat delicate' blade.

[​IMG]

Keithmax, twhite, Kizurra and 6 others like this.
  7. Bjoerge Brathagen

Bjoerge Brathagen Well-Known Member

20170301_220424_resized.jpg
    honed this Torrey that i won on e-bay.did a light restore first.hand sanding from 800 to 2k before polishing.
    the blade is in very good condition with almost no honewear on the spine.little patina and light rust that came off easily.can`t find any pitting.
    honed on shapton pro 1,5-5-8-12k before black ark. testshave tomorrow.

Keithmax, twhite, Kizurra and 5 others like this.
  8. SolingerStahl

SolingerStahl Well-Known Member

SOTD 2017-03-01
    Vintage test shave of my fresh stropped 7/8 CHR.GIMPEL Aachen 1890s Solingen forged shorekopf knife and my latest homemade silvertip brush...

[​IMG]

Greetings from Solingen
    Rainer

Jim99, Keithmax, DaltonGang and 5 others like this.
  9. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I didn't hone anything, but I lapped a new Norton 1k water stone. My forearms are too tired to hone anything now. Jeez, I'm turning into a wimpy old man:)

Kizurra, Karl G, twhite and 2 others like this.
  10. Billyfergie

[​IMG]
    :rofl:

11. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Jeez man, where do you come up with this stuff? :happy097:

12. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Columbia Cutlery
    [​IMG]
    Last night I started loading my straight razor spreadsheet. A HUGE THANK YOU to @Spyder for making it for me.

Anyhow I input the razors that I remembered what I did. Tonight I randomly grabbed one and gave it a touch up. I went back to 8k. Naniwa. Then went to 12k Naniwa. I chose to finish it on my Trans Arky.

I believe this is my sharpest hone job to date. I just slid thru my whiskers. Now off to input it before I forget what i did.

Tom

13. Kizurra

Kizurra Well-Known Member

Quick restore on a Bay buy, little gunky with some pitting on spine and tang.
    Sanded, buffed and polished without unpinning but did tighten the pin. Cleaned up the scales and honed up the dubl duck on dubl coti's just because.
    Blue sides for bevel and coti for the rest. Great shave tonight. 20170303_202127_resized.jpg 20170303_215942_resized.jpg 20170303_202825_resized.jpg 20170303_215219_resized.jpg

14. DaltonGang

The first one I've hone today, was a shot in the dark. In keeping with my Rescue Razor" theme, this Union Cutlery Gold Spike was rescued. It cost $12.00, and had a nice sized chip on the heel end. It was past the bevel. I had to take the metal down with a tool hone, 100-200 grit, or there about. That made fast work of it. After that I did the usual progression with 1 layer of tape. It went fast, because this razor still was pretty level on the stones. 1k King, 3k/8k ?, 8k 12k 15k Welsh Slate Stones. 20 laps on the small Chromium Oxide strop. 40x on the linen strop. 50 on the Illinois 827 strop, and 50 on the Illinois 206 strop. It now will pop individual hairs on the arm, along the entire edge.

Union Cutlery Gold Spike

Before:

I had to take the gold was off, for aesthetic reasons.
    U.ion Cut Gold Spike Before.JPG
    Gold Spike Before.JPG

After; Minimal polish

Unioun Cutlery Gold Spike.JPG

15. DaltonGang

The second razor honed up is a W.H.Morley & Sons Clover Brand. Barbers Notch. Minimal buffing out of some tarnish. Basically only honed. Same progression as the one above except there were no chips in the blade.
    1k King, 3k/8k ?, 8k 12k 15k Welsh Slate Stones. 20 laps on the small Chromium Oxide strop. 40x on the linen strop. 50 on the Illinois 827 strop, and 50 on the Illinois 206 strop. Hair popper, along the entire edge.
    The heel was completely dull, and the bevel was very "Wonky". Someone didn't know how to sharpen a razor very well, a long time ago. That's probably why it was still in good shape, and not used much.

W.H.Morley & Sons Clover Brand. Barbers Notch
    W.H.Morley & Sons Clover Brand  Barbers Notch.JPG

Jim99, TheFiveO, Spyder and 4 others like this.
  16. DaltonGang

Been busy this morning.
    I got up early, and finished fairly fast, Under two hours, while drinking coffee, for four razors.

"The Starter" Ro DeLorms, Paris France. It was bought and sent from France. The dark spot on the heel is a defect in the metal, but doesn't touch the very edge of the bevel. It was nearly shave ready when it arrived, but I redid the entire bevel, and touched up the exterior a little. It required two strips of tape, but took an easy and fast killer edge.
    The Starter  Ro DeLorms Paris France.JPG

Der Original "Shultz"
    Nifty little razor, with two tone scales. Red on the inside, and cream color on the outside. This one was a very easy one to hone. It required little work to get a good bevel, with one strip of tape. Very nice sharp end results. Very sharp.
    Der Original Shultz.JPG

Both or these razors are popping hair, down the entire edge.

Keithmax, Jim99, Spyder and 7 others like this.
  17. DaltonGang

These two were done at the same time as the two above. My usual progression. After I was finished stropping all of them, my right hand needed a break.

Leo C. Benitz "Sensation"
    One strip of tape, with issues at the heel. It wasn't honed properly prior to me getting this, and it took a little work to get a good bevel. It seems that this razors metal is pretty hard, and slow to work with. In the end, it took a nice hair popping edge. I look foreword to using this one. It feels very well balanced in the hand.

Leo C. Benitz  Sensation.JPG

"Maher & Grosh" Barbers Hollow Ground. Toledo Ohio

Issues with the entire edge. One layer of tape. The entire bevel was not good, so I started from scratch, and took my time. It is a ver straight and easy blade to hone. It is now very shave ready. Hair popping fun.
    Maher Grosh Barbers Hollow Ground.JPG

It's time to let my arm hair grow out. It looks like I gave my left arm a "Flat Top" haircut.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
    Keithmax, Jim99, Spyder and 7 others like this.
  18. Billyfergie

[​IMG]
    I Just Finished My Myers & Sons Sheffield 6/8th on My Newly Acquired Arkansas Translucent Stone..I Lapped this 4 x 2 Inch Stone on 320 Grit & Chamfered the Edges & Corners..It was Flat when I Got it So No Problems..I was Going to Take it to Higher Grit But I thought I Would Give a Test Hone at a 320 Grit lapping Finish..:)

I Took this Razor Back to a 12 K Naniwa Super Stone as a Pre Finisher for a Bench Mark that I Know Well..This Wee Stone was Very Easy to Use in the Palm of the Hand..I Test Shaved it Without Stropping Once I thought the Edge was around the Synthetic 16 K Mark..It Was Way Beyond a Naniwa 12 K Super Stone..I then Done 10 Sets on o.5 Chro/Ox & 10 Sets on 0.2 Red Rhodium Pastes..:p

I Was Just Gonna Strop it Without the Paste as it was Pretty Smooth without the Stropping Straight of the Hone..But Hey..I Wanted to Experiment Further..Well..I had a Complete Shave with it After Stropping it for 100 Sets..;)

Man..My 1st Natural Stone Job & I Hit the Money Button with this Myers & Sons..A Killer Sharp Edge & Smooth as Butter..A Lot Smoother than Finishing on My 12 K Naniwa Super Stone & Smoother than Finishing on 1 Micron Lapping Film..No Bones about it..:D

All I Can Say at the Moment is that I Am in Love with the Arkie Edge on My Face..It Sure Feels Different from a Synthetic Edge..Its a Thumbs Up for Sheffield Steel on the Arkansas Translucent Stone..I Am Over the Moon..:)

I Know this Stone is Capable of Refining & Polishing Further but I Stopped at What I Deemed to be around a 16 K Edge which I Personally Find is Optimal for Sheffield Steel SRs on My Synthetic Hones ..A Very Easy Stone to Use..I Don't Know What All the Controversy is About in Some Forums about these Stones..Easy Peasy..:happy102:

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
    Keithmax, Jim99, Kizurra and 4 others like this.
  19. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Billy

Cool stones aren't they. The feel of those Arkansas' are wonderful when you get it right. My last 2 blades on them were outstanding.

What did you use for lubricant?

Tom

Jim99, Kizurra, Spyder and 3 others like this.
  20. Billyfergie

I Used that Gun Oil in the Photo..Its Thin Like a 3 in 1 Type Oil..Oh..Yeah Tom..I Am Impressed..Outstanding is the Word..:happy108:

Jim99, Kizurra, Spyder and 3 others like this.