What Straight Razor Have You Honed Lately????

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Sep 25, 2016.

1. The Fox

The Fox Well-Known Member

Well, I have Naniwa 5000, 8000, and 12000 stones. And I watched You-Tube to figure out what I was doing. The guinea pig for my first attempt was a Hart Steel with a wedge blade, and it was a disaster! I also have two Dovo's that I think I've basically been able to get their edges about to where they were fresh out of the box. I've gotten the Hart usable again, but it's still rough compared to when it was new and the Dovo's. I don't know if it's something about wedge razors, Hart Steele, or just my continued honing hijinx but I just can't get a good edge on that razor. My Thiers Issard is still by far my best razor, so I don't dare hone that.

But I think it's safe to say my honing skills are pretty rudimentary.

Jim99, Kizurra, Keithmax and 5 others like this.
  2. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

@The Fox ,You need a "Bevel Setting Hone". A 1k is usually used. That is where 90% of the work is done. Then a 3k to fill the.progression gap. The bevel is the most important part of the honing process.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  3. The Fox

The Fox Well-Known Member

I've already admitted I'm not very experienced at honing, but I thought the 1000 was only necessary for blades with serious damage (and I figured even my Hart Steel didn't qualify as that bad). But I'll have to look into it. I just checked, and the store I ordered the other stones from doesn't even carry anything less than 5000.

4. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG]
    My Thuri is On its Way as We Speak..Very Light in Colour this One..Might be a So Called Yellow/Green Escher..Dunno..:angelic007:

Billy..:chores016:

5. Billyfergie

[​IMG] Just Honed 2 of these Chinese Made ZY 6/8th SRs..I Got them to Sell for Beer Tokens..I Tell Ya..They Honed Up as Easy as a Current Dovo..They Also Shave Pretty Much Like a Current Carbon Blade Dovo..Far Better Ground than a Gold Dollar & Far Easier to Hone..Also Lighter than a Dollar & More Balanced in the Hand..;)

Jim99, Kizurra, Keithmax and 5 others like this.
  6. DaltonGang

All blades must start with a proper bevel. The 1000 grit(1k) hones will set the proper bevel. If you use a higher grit stone, it will take too long and possibly make you frustrated, or will make you want to use more pressure, when it's not needed. Many times even new razors Ned a bevel reset. It's not just for seriously damaged blades. BTW, a decent 1k stone will be about the cheapest stone purchase you can make.

Kizurra, Keithmax, mrchick and 4 others like this.
  7. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I've been wondering about those. Since the bay is littered with them; maybe I should pick one up. Thanks for the report. Maybe zy will be the next craze after the Arkie craze has run its course :D

Kizurra, mrchick, Billyfergie and 2 others like this.
  8. DaltonGang

I bought a ZY, and I was mailed something different. Look at the photos carefully. Don't go by the wording alone. The legit ZY razors I saw had ZY on the blade.

9. Billyfergie

Buy them from ZY Themselves..Not a Vendor..:happy088:

Kizurra, DaltonGang and Spyder like this.
  10. DaltonGang

Hmm, never seen the site. Link??

11. DaltonGang

12. Billyfergie

13. Billyfergie

No Mods Required..Just Straight on the Hone..I Reckon the Bevels Were Just about Done in 5/10 Min..:D

14. DaltonGang

I hope you're getting a lot of beer tokens. A good "Shave Ready" Razor should be worth at least a couple of cases of good beer.

15. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Kizurra and Billyfergie like this.
  16. Billyfergie

1/2 Hollow..6/8th..Yeah..:eatdrink013:

Kizurra, Spyder and twhite like this.
  17. Bjoerge Brathagen

Bjoerge Brathagen Well-Known Member

So you are stocking up on naturals, good choice:happy088:

Kizurra, twhite, Spyder and 1 other person like this.
  18. Billyfergie

:thanks:I Am Not Expecting Too Much from it to Be Honest..Its Meant to Be Nice for Sheffield Razors So I Will be Happy if that's the Case..I Know these Were Popular with Professionals Back in Their Day..Some Say for their a "Monkey " Can Use them Kinda thing & Cause they were a Consistent Finishing Stone..You Could Say..They were the Trusty Naniwa 12 K Super Stone of their Day I Suppose..;)

Looking Forward to Using It..:shocked003:

19. Bjoerge Brathagen

Bjoerge Brathagen Well-Known Member

Heard they works well on german steel too.another grait stone for sheffield steel is the welsh slates.but the best edges i got on my sheffields are with the Zulu stone

20. Billyfergie

Yeah..I Got it for Softer Steel Sheffield & Solingen Blades for a Change of Pace..Don't Get me Wrong I Love Synthetic Edges on these Razors..I Know My Steel & Hones Pretty Well..Its Around the Optimal Grit Rating for Finishing Solingen & Sheffield Razors as Well..:happy088: