What Straight Razor Have You Honed Lately????

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

More that I don't have complaints about the kerosene odour, and I don't have an 8 year old trying to play with the razors while I try to concentrate.

2. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

:signs011: I don't even think about progressing until I can easily brush hair off my arm. I'm relatively new to honing, but watch as many YouTube videos as you can. Lynn Abrams and gssixgun are some of the best. If I can get a comfortable, sharp shaving edge, anybody can:)
    This may have been asked, but are your stones perfectly flat? Have you lapped them recently?

3. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Exactly.
    If it isn't cutting hair at the 1k level, then that is where the problem is at.

4. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

When I first got into honing, I was so focused on the stroke count (unvarying formula) that I failed to check the keenness at each stage. End result: a poor shaving razor. I don't leave the bevel setter now, no matter the stroke count, until I get the desired sharpness across the entire edge. Lesson learned: There is no set number of strokes that one can apply across the board to all razors.

Jim99, Karl G, twhite and 10 others like this.
  5. George X

George X Well-Known Member

I always lose count so I don't bother counting . I prefer to focus on the basics instead of cluttering my simple mind trying to remember to count...a one and a two and a crap how many was that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jim99, Karl G, twhite and 6 others like this.
  6. Bjoerge Brathagen

Bjoerge Brathagen Well-Known Member

20170523_113429_resized.jpg
    honed this pipe razor today.this was a difficult one. little warped and badly honed,think maybe grinding belt had been involved.killed the edge three times before i was happy.had issues at both heel and toe,but ended up with a superb edge. had a very nice shave with it this morning.

Jim99, Karl G, Drawer and 8 others like this.
  7. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Really nice looking blade on that one. :happy088:

8. Bjoerge Brathagen

Bjoerge Brathagen Well-Known Member

thanks:) it`s sweet,no pitting or rust and very little wear:git:

Karl G, Drawer, dkeester and 3 others like this.
  9. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG]
    Got this about Mint German Made Hamburg Ring 6/8th in the Post Today...I Honed it on a My Naniwa Super Stone Progression to 12 K then Finished Her on the Escher Thuri..The Blade Says "Extra Hollow Ground" But its Actually a 1/2 Hollow Grind..In My Experince True Extra Hollow Grinds are Very Rare & Razor Manufactures Often Misuse the Term "Extra Hollow" as a Sales Pitch..:eek:

The Factory Grind is One of the Best I have Seen..It Took a Spectacular Edge..I Need to Stop Buying SRs in this Condition to Sell as I Just Wanna Keep them for My Own Collection..:happy097:

Billy..:chores016:

Jim99, Keithmax, Karl G and 9 others like this.
  10. DaltonGang

Fresh off the stones.

Top- Wade & Butcher

Bottom- Bengall. Hamburg .
    P5240940.JPG

Jim99, Keithmax, Beadog and 8 others like this.
  11. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Boot someone else out of the den. :scared003:

12. DaltonGang

They are your razors, your rules. Keep as many as you like. :eatdrink047:

13. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

Its a Hard Life..:happy102:

Billy..:chores016:

14. DaltonGang

I dug up a few razors, and decided to knock some rust off them, and hone them up. I finished them all with the Surgical Black Arkansas Progression stone. All had to have the scales polished, and the pins tightened.

Top- "Salem Shaheen & Bros". Warranted. This was pretty crusty, but the edge was free of anything. I had a time honing this, because this steel was super hard, and it looked like someone dulled it like a butter knife, for safety. So, this took a while to set the bevel. I had to kill the edge 4-5 time before it was all even, across the blade. After that, it progressed quickly, leaving a very very sharp edge.

Middle- (PITA) Razor. Well, it was made by "Berkshire Cutlery Co" U.S.A.. This was a bugger. I tried and tried to get a decent bevel set, yesterday, but couldn't. I had to walk away, and regroup today. That was the trick, because the Bevel came on easily, and it took on a sharp and smooth edge. Beautifully straight bevel. I figured out what it was, that was stumping me, the day before.. The fingers I test the edge with were soaked, and pruined with soapy wasted, and the blade wasn't feeling sharp, when it actually was. Go figure.

Bottom- "Hugo Rader 38" Solingen. This was a joy to hone. Everything fell into place, and zero complications. By far, one of the easiest razors I have honed. I kind of like the French Drop Point look too. Sharp sharp sharp.
    P5250942.JPG

15. George X

George X Well-Known Member

Very nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Hey Scott, I have a Berkshire Cutlery. This one looked like it was rarely, if ever used. It's a great shaver. I'm anxious to see how yours shaves.

IMG_0591.JPG

17. DaltonGang

I will find out in the next day or two.

18. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I did some honing tonight, two touch ups and two full progresss. I'm still a rookie, but am finally getting some nice edges. I'm doing Naniwa 1k, Norton 4K/8K, Naniwa 12K and think I'll stay that way for a while. I'm trying to avoid the stone rabbit hole[​IMG]

19. DaltonGang

Nice days
    work. Those are some nice looking razors you have.

20. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Thank you. I really enjoy learning to hone.