What Straight Razor Have You Honed Lately????

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Sep 25, 2016.

1. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Surgical Black Arkie. That's what you need as an Ultra Finishing stone.

2. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I have one on my wish list. Maybe it'll show up for Father's Day

3. Drawer

Drawer Well-Known Member

Back to the stones this morning. I emulated Lynn Abrams with good results. Very sharp. Not as sharp as a Gillette Silver Blue but pretty good. I was so confident that I hone my old Soviet razor too.

The shave results were similar to last week. It went well on the cheeks and neck. The chin and moustache, not so much. It reminds me of when I used a carbon blade in my safety razor. It just wouldn't cut the hairs. It was more apt to pull them out.

IMG_1220.jpg

4. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG]
    I Got these Recently..Honed these Two NOS Mint Razors on My Naniwa Super Stone Progression & Finished on the Escher Thuri..ERN Crown & Sword Solingen 6/8th & Bengal Sheffield 6/8th..The Crown & Sword has One of the Best Grinds I have Ever Seen..Sweet as a Nut on the Hone..:D

Billy..:chores016:

5. DaltonGang

I honed two for a fellow member. One was easy, one was a PITA. But, that's how honing goes.

Top- J.A.Henckels. Twin Works. Germany. Greaf & Schmidt
    This razor I polished up and used one layer of tape to hone. King 1k, 3k??, 8k 12k 15k Welsh Slate Stones, SB Arkie Progression. It took a nice fast sharp edge. This blade is straight as an arrow, and a dream to hone.

Bottom- C.Klauberg & Bros. 173 William St. "Masterpiece" . Fine India Steel. Hollow Ground.
    This razor was a pain. The edge had been abused by an unknowing owner with a hone, probably ages ago. . It looked like a "Roller Coaster". One strip of tape was used. I had to grind off most of the hills, until it somewhat resembled something to shave with. I used an old 80 grit tool hone, that made fast work of the grinding. In the end, it took on the look of a razor, and it might even be pleasing to the look. Not perfect, but acceptable. I sanded some of the rust off the blade, and tang, but only enough to make the blade acceptable. I set a pre-bevel with an 800 grit King stone, the stones maiden voyage. It worked well. The progressed the same as the J.A.Henckels above. In the end, it took on a nice sharp edge.
    P5280951.JPG

6. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

[​IMG]
    I really like how this razor shaves. A nice piece of American steel. It was shaving fine, but had time on my hands this afternoon.

I took the edge back to 8k. I then gave a few licks on my 12k. Then off to my favorite finishing stone. Translucent Arkansas.

I have very fine arm hairs so trying to see if the blade cuts is a bit of a challenge. I know I have a wicked edge when The blade cuts them. No need to have the blade touch my arm. The Arky gets the job done for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

7. DaltonGang

Today's Honing session, was more than expected. Each had issues. Both razors had their bevel set by the King 800 grit and King 1k stones. The progression then went 3k?, 8k 12k 15k Welsh Slate Stones, Then the Surgical Black Arkansas Progression Stone(Ultra Finisher Stone). I did reblue both tangs on the razors, like it was originally.

"Beau Brummel 35"
    After polishing it up, I looked at the edge with a 60x loupe, and discovered a micro crack that went the depth of the bevel. If I proceeded farther, there was a great chance of the crack getting larger, like a windshield crack. So, I ground the crack away, carefully, on a 100 grit tool sharpening stone. Then progressed as stated above, Once the bevel was set, the Ultra sharp edge came on fast. Man, I cannot wait to shave with this razor. Very thin steel, and very very sharp.

Bottom
    "AERIAL" Aerial Cut Manufacturing Co. Marinette Wis.
    This razor was very inexpensive, because the edge looked like a Roller Coaster. I had to grind the entire edge flat. After that, the progression went easy, as the above razor. It too took on a very very sharp edge.
    P6010961.JPG

8. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

That Beau really is a cool razor, with the triple pins and the marbled scales. You steal that one off the "bay"?

9. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

I am all for a hack that keeps you from buying things:)

10. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

I actually got a stone holder since I posted that picture. I have also abandoned my clamp for it. When I am using the 4x2 stone, I hold it in my palm like a barber's hone now. Even cheaper.

11. DaltonGang

Thanks, and yes, I kind of stole it off eBay.

12. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

That's what I'm talk' n about!

13. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Not positive but Beau Brummel are the same as Dubl Ducks, same parent company. Just a boat load cheaper. I have one and it is a nice shave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

14. Kizurra

Kizurra Well-Known Member

Stayed up late to get a fresh edge on her. Vintage coti then the big Green escher. Will put her on the linen then leather in the morning and I can't wait. 20170602_021304_resized.jpg 20170602_023723_resized.jpg

15. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Today's I honed my PRC Damascus and JWest razors. Shapton 1k, 2k, Naniwa 5k, 8k then started with a slurry on my Zulu Grey and slowly added water until it was just water on the stone.

ID - 2.jpg

16. Billyfergie

[​IMG]
    My Long Lost NOS Wester Bros Solingen Arrived Today from the USA...Its Minter than Mint..Brand New..Looks Stainless to Me..This is How it Came Out the Box..I Will Put it through My Naniwa Super Stone Progression & Finish on My Black Surgical Arkie & Zip Her Out to 20 K..This is My 2nd NOS Wester Bros..Razors Just Don't Get Any Better in My Books..:)

Keithmax, twhite, Karl G and 5 others like this.
  17. M14Shooter

M14Shooter Well-Known Member

George Butler Shakespeare Razors .Used Sharpton Glass 1K,4Kd 8K.Finished with Jnat with DMT Slurry .Razor gave a smooth and wonderful shave .The J-Nat gave the edge a suburb keenness.
    gbs.jpg

Kizurra, George X, Keithmax and 4 others like this.
  18. Billyfergie

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Just Honed My NOS Wester Bros Solingen on My Naniwa Super Stone Progression & Decided to Finish it on My Very Fine Grit Belgian Coticule..The Coticule Picked Up the Naniwa 12 K Edge & Ran with it No Problem..I Used Tallow Lather for My Final Strokes..A Very Fine Finisher this Coticule..It has a 12 K + Finishing Capacity & Sharp Enough to Shave Without Pastes but I Prefer 10 Laps or So on 0.5 Chro/Ox..My Preference..:)

This Wester Bros 5/8th + has Taken a Killer Edge..My Next Shave..:happy108:

Kizurra, George X, Karl G and 4 others like this.
  19. DaltonGang

Tonight, I restored an "ALWIN" Ontario Cutlery Co. Geneva NY., for a fellow member, @Stu929 . It had some minor rust, and pitting problems, as well as a loose blade. The biggest issue was a large frown. It was all easily corrected. I then honed it with 1 strip of tape. 800 Grit King, 1k King, 3k ???, 8k 12k 15k Welsh Slate Stones. It was very sharp after this. But, I gave it the Surgical Black Arkie Progression stone. A few laps on the Chromium Oxide, then Linen, and 100 Russian Leather, then finally 30 on some smooth leather. After it was all done it was popping baby fine hairs down the entire length(HHT-CN). So, my evaluation is that this is a very well built and very straight razor. It should shave with the best of them.

Alwin.JPG

Keithmax, Karl G, Kizurra and 4 others like this.
  20. DaltonGang

Next up were Two Celluloid covered tang razors. These are the first and only Cell covered tangs I have. Both were restored, and honed like the Alwin razor above.
    The Excelsior razor was a mess, but I did my best(I just got tired of sanding).

Excelsior: Hair popping sharp. I love that Arkie SB Progression stone.

Excelsior.JPG

Shumate "Trusty". Easy one to hone. I just had to work out a little frown in the beginning. It had one very deep pit in the center of the blade, that was too deep to work out, safely.

Shumate.JPG

Keithmax, Karl G, Kizurra and 4 others like this.