What Straight Razor Have You Honed Lately????

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

I was Impressed with these Razors as Well..The Ones I have Honed were Ground as True as Current Dovo Razors..The Factory Bevel or Factory Pre Bevel was as Good as a Current Dovo an All..Also..Surprisingly Balanced in the Hand..Interesting thing is that they are Ground in the Same Factory as the Gold Dollars..The ZY Razors Put a Gold Dollar to Shame an All..:happy088:

Billy..:chores016:

Kizurra, Keithmax, M14Shooter and 3 others like this.
  2. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

This W&B took a killer edge off hones (Chosera 1k bevel > Naniwa 3k>5>8>10>12k > Escher waterstone.
    More info found Here!
    [​IMG]

Kizurra, Keithmax, M14Shooter and 3 others like this.
  3. Billyfergie

The Escher Thuri is a Great Choice for a Sheffield Blade..Like Scotch & Ice..:happy088:

Kizurra, M14Shooter, Karl G and 3 others like this.
  4. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

I honed up a nice Russian Rocket for @Jayaruh this weekend. I opted for a constant. I used my Naniwa progression 1,3,5,8&12k. Then finished with some 1 micron lapping film. Then stripped it with my @Drygulch Latigo. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Kizurra, TheFiveO, Drygulch and 6 others like this.
  5. Billyfergie

[​IMG]
    Couple of Hone Jobs I Got..A Bartmann Solingen & Henckels Friodur Solingen..The Surgical Black Arkansas Puts One Serious Sharp & Smooth 20 K Edge on any Stainless Razor..Scotch & Ice..I Chose the Escher Thuri for the Bartmann Solingen..Honed on a Naniwa Super Stone Progression..:)

Kizurra, Drygulch, Kokak and 4 others like this.
  6. Heljestrand23

Heljestrand23 Well-Known Member

I finally got around to honing my NOS Morris Red Imp 133. I set the bevel on the King 1K, then progressed to the 4K/8K Norton, and finished with a 3 stone Welsh Slate progression 8K/12K/15K. Then I used my new to me Philip Blackman, Red Imp strop. I did 40 laps on canvas and 100 on leather. The leather was very fast, but I liked it!

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kizurra, Drygulch, Keithmax and 5 others like this.
  7. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

That's a super nice imp you got there :happy088: And a matching strop to boot!

Kizurra, DaltonGang, Kokak and 3 others like this.
  8. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

:happy088:

Kizurra, Kokak, Spyder and 1 other person like this.
  9. Heljestrand23

Thank you very much, I was very lucky to snag this razor in the wild for a great price!
    Thank you sir

Kizurra, Billyfergie, Spyder and 2 others like this.
  10. Billyfergie

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I Just Sold this Rather Near Mint Joseph Allan Sheffield 7/8th that I Got in the Post the Other Day..Its off to the New Owner Tomorrow..Honed on a Naniwa Super Stone Progression & Pre Finished on 16 K Lapping Film & Finished on My Surgical Black Arkansas..;)

The Result..A Spectacular Shaving Edge..Arkies Finish Very Quickly when a Higher Grit Edge is Plonked Down..Done in Jig Time..:D

Kizurra, Keithmax, Drygulch and 3 others like this.
  11. Heljestrand23

[​IMG]
    Klas Törnblom, very nice shave and so maneuverable...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Billyfergie

[​IMG]
    Got these to Turn Over..Myers & Sons Sheffield 6/8th..Carl Rader Solingen 6/8th..Willaim Rogers Sheffield 5/8th..Honed on a Naniwa Super Stone Progression & Finished on My Escher Thuri..;)

Kizurra, George X, Keithmax and 3 others like this.
  13. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Two re-scaled razors to the hones:
    The first is this Frederick Fenney 'Tally Ho'— standard synthetic progression of Chosera 1k bevel set; moving on to Naniwa SS 3k > Naniwa SS 5k > Naniwa SS 8k
    and then moving on natural South African pre-finisher & finisher, the Silk Vein and Zulu Grey.

Two distinctly different stones in both feel and appearance—the Zulu Grey finisher (left) is dense and glass-like in feel—and very difficult to slurry.
    [​IMG]

The Silk Vein is very gritty feeling and easily generates a very dense, thick slurry, very reminiscent of runny chocolate.
    [​IMG]

The jury is still out on how I feel about this Silk vein as a pre-finisher. It has such a gritty feel as one glides the steel over it. To the finger touch, its a smooth as any high-grit finisher.
    Dragging a blade over it, the Silk Vein feels like sandpaper, the Zulu like glass. On both stones, I progressively thinned the slurry until I was using plain water. Raising a thin slurry on the Zulu is a challenge and I resorted to using my Atoma plate to do so as the Zulu slurry stone was taking forever!
    End result: A keen edge— certainly a 'shave-ready' edge, but not as 'sticky-sharp' as I wanted. More work for me to do in order to solve these stones.
    Comfy shave...
    [​IMG]

For the next razor: the newly-scaled Wald razor, I opted to perform the same early progression of Chosera 1k for the bevel set, and the Naniwas, but stopped at the Naniwa 5k.
    I used a Mikawa Nagura progression with the hard Zulu Grey in place of standard asagi base stone. The four stones I used have slurry that gets progressively finer, starting with the Botan > Tenjyou > Mejiro > Koma. As you work the nagura slurries, the density changes (break down), becoming increasingly finer as you work them. The last stone used to raise slurry (the 'tomo nagura') is essentially the same density as the base stone (i.e. the zulu slurry stone in this instance). Thinned to water at the end.
    [​IMG]

The end result was a wickedly-sharp, very sticky edge (post-stropping, HHT3-4) on the Wald. A very smooth shave followed using this old Wald blade.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
    Kizurra, Keithmax, DaltonGang and 3 others like this.
  14. DaltonGang

Thanks. That was a very nice write-up on the honing and use of two fine stones.

15. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

The last of three restored razors to be honed: For this Greaves, I decided to use the standard synthetic progression from bevel set to 12k
    (Chosera Pro 1k >Naniwa 3k > 5k > 8k > 10k > 12k)
    ...and finish on a natural (thin slurry diluting to just water); in this instance, the Apache Strata.
    I really enjoy the silky feel of the Apache slurry (very similar to that of the Escher) althuough raising a decent amount slurry takes some effort using the Atoma plate.
    I did (probably) 3-4 sets of 25 laps on the Apache, thinning the slurry throughout the progression, ending with light strokes on plain water.
    Very sticky edge from toe to heel. Hair-popping sharp.
    (Apache Strata, Naniwa SS 12k white)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Kizurra, Keithmax and Billyfergie like this.
  16. M14Shooter

M14Shooter Well-Known Member

Just came in from Japan Today.Cleaned bevel up on 4K Sharpton Glass than proceeded to 8K .Finished on J-Nat and Trans. Arkie .
    6/8 Cape
    rps20170906_112203_421.jpg

17. Billyfergie

[​IMG]
    Honed this TIMOR Blue Steel Solingen 6/8th I Got to Turn Over Tonight on a Naniwa Super Stone Progression..Finished on My Escher Thuri with Water then Tallow Lather for the Final Strokes..Lovely Bluing on this Razor..It was Factory Fresh & Never Been Honed..The Factory Grinding is Excellent..;)

Kizurra, Keithmax and DaltonGang like this.
  18. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I've been out of town all week and arrived home this afternoon and decided to hit the hones. It was a nice way to unwind after a long week. [​IMG]

19. DaltonGang

How was honing that Universal?? I received one from @Morman Bridge the other day.

Kizurra, Drygulch and Billyfergie like this.
  20. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

It took a while to set a nice bevel but it seems to have taken a nice edge. I did hone it with the blade not quite seated to keep the stabilizer off the homes.
    [​IMG]I'm going to shave with it in the morning. That'll be the test.