What Straight Razor Have You Honed Lately????

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Sep 25, 2016.

1. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Good luck. I would love to find some replacement blades for mine. My blade looks a little worn.

Kizurra, Paul76 and Billyfergie like this.
  2. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG]
    Got this to Turn Over.. A Near Mint NOS Factory Solingen Full Hollow 6/8th Made for the French Market..Honed on a Naniwa Super Stone Progression & Pre Finished on 16 K Lapping Film & Finished on My Escher Thuri..;)

Billy..:chores016:

Kizurra, Keithmax, mrchick and 4 others like this.
  3. Paul76

Paul76 Well-Known Member

I have a landers frary and Clarck that I wish I could find a blade or two for. It still has some time before it could use it.

Kizurra, Keithmax, Drygulch and 3 others like this.
  4. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Took a little time this morning to touch up a Koraat 8/8 on a suspected Charnley Forest slate. Shave a little latter.
    IMG_7222.jpg

Kizurra, Keithmax, Paul76 and 4 others like this.
  5. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Got to shave with this razor this morning. Happy to say I improved the edge, both keenness and smoothness. I was a little worried using a 1.25 inch wide stone I wouldn't get the entire edge, so I did lots of rolling x strokes.

6. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Touched up two more razors. The first was a Genco on another suspected Charnley Forest hone. Got this one and the one above from Dean. @alpla444 both are a joy to use.
    IMG_7283.jpg IMG_7284.jpg
    Last touch up was one of my favorite razors, a Cattarangus Senica. Touched up with hard and Surgical Black Arkansas stones.
    IMG_7285.jpg

7. M14Shooter

M14Shooter Well-Known Member

Boker Red Injun 101 5/8ths Finished on Norton Translucent Arkansas . Love the Arkie edge on this razor.
    rps20170917_152554_522(2).jpg

8. DaltonGang

Tonight's honing was enjoyable. These are some razors I had restored, a while back. But due to work schedules, and a Hurricane, I didn't have time, or I just didn't feel like honing. So, after being on the back-burner, I had a couple of hours to kill, in the early morning hours.

Razors- Two, Union Cutlery "Spike" Razors. Wedges,. Olean NY. Both were easy to set the bevel, and hone, with a single layer of tape. I really enjoy the Spike Razors. They are very well built, American Wedges.
    My usual progression. 1k King, 3k/8k ???, 8k 12k 15k Welsh Slate Stones, and Surgical Black Arkansas progression stone. The razors were tree topping at the 1k stone, and wickedly sharp, by the time the 15k came around.
    P9191189.JPG

9. DaltonGang

Same as above, except, the "Pipe Razor" required two layers of tape. The Geo Wostenholm Pipe was a time consumer. It had a lot of metal to take off, to set the bevel, and it was some pretty hard steel.
    The Swank H.W. Co, Warranted "Perfection" was an easy hone.
    I look forward to using the Pipe razor. I love these Types of Wostenholm Wedges.

Razors-
    Top- Geo Wostenholm, "Pipe". Wedge Razor. Big and heavy. This was an extensive restore. The scales looked hopeless, and the blade was pretty rusted.
    Bottom- Swank H.W. Co.. "Perfection" Warranted. Easy, all the way around.
    P9191190.JPG

10. Billyfergie

[​IMG]
    I Honed this Lovely Swedish Steel Japanese H Diamond Best Hollow 11/16th on a Naniwa Super Stone Progression..Pre Finished on My Coticule & Finished On My Yellow Lake Oil Stone..I Took her Off the Yellow Lake around the 16 K Mark..This Coticule/Yellow Lake Combo Finisher Consistently Produces Superb Sharp & Smooth Ghost Like Edges..;)

I Am Impressed with the Balance of this H Diamond..Probably the Most Balanced Razor in the Hand I have Ever Felt..Beautiful Scales an All..I Might be Tempted to Hold on to this One..:happy097:

11. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

So, that'd make it to the point where you change razors every day for a year, and still haven't gotten back to the first one? :) (Maybe this one is for February 29th!)

12. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

Got a GD 59W in a few weeks ago. So I rounded the Toe and Heel. Set the Bevel, then set it again... then set it once more to be sure. Worked on the edge and fished it off with a Black (Ultra Fine) Arkansas stone (on oil).
    Had a great 2 pass DFS shave with it this morning. Took a while, but I am starting to get the 'feel' for this.

[​IMG]

Progression:
    Naniwa 1k (water)
    Norton 4k (water)
    Norton 8k (water)
    Naniwa 12k (water)
    Arkansas "Black" (food grade white mineral oil)

Kizurra, Keithmax, Bookworm and 6 others like this.
  13. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

DSC_0758.JPG
    The first few razors off the Suehiro Gokumyo 20k, Hart Steel and my Portland blued blade, the Hart was from bevel set up to the SG20K, The Portland was refreshed, first impression, a nice quick hone, not much feedback/feeling with it, (I have always finished on Naturals prior to this hone) after only a few razors I would be hard pressed to say if the edge is any better than the my CF ( I will never part with my CF) but it sure is quicker.

Kizurra, Keithmax, DaltonGang and 3 others like this.
  14. DaltonGang

Those are some beautiful razors.

Kizurra and Billyfergie like this.
  15. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

If I ever buy another hone, it will be an SG20k. I like quick and easy with good results.

16. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Its just that sometimes I have 8 or more razor to hone so the quicker finisher is good, if it was just my own I was doing I would be just fine with what I already had.
    I did sell off my j-nats to fund the SG10k & SG20k,

I do like natural stones but slowly warming to the synthetics.

What are you using at the moment Keith?

17. Billyfergie

1 Micron Chro/Ox Lapping Film is Rated at 16 K..When its a Bit Worn I Get a 20 K Finishing Capacity with it..No Problem..Its Easy & Fairly Quick to Use..In Fact..Its Never Far Away from My Honing Regime Cause I Like to Use before Some Higher Grit Naturals..:)

Kizurra, DaltonGang and Keithmax like this.
  18. Billyfergie

[​IMG]
    Batch of 10 Sheffield Full Hollow Grind Rolls Blades Honed on a Naniwa Super Stone Progression..These are Often Mistaken as Wedge Blades..They are Not..They are an Obscure Hollow Ground Blade with a Sorta Wedge Design..The Blades are Very Strongly Built to take the Wear n Tear of a Somewhat Pressurized 12 K Honing & Stropping Rolls System..;)

Kizurra, George X, mrchick and 3 others like this.
  19. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I came into a little extra $, just enough to order the SG20k :eatdrink047:

20. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Cool I will be interested to hear your views, Im just about to hone up a couple of razors as I type this, so I will get another go on my 20k.

Kizurra, DaltonGang and Billyfergie like this.