What Straight Razor Have You Honed Lately????

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Sep 25, 2016.

1. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

:happy088::happy088::happy088:

Kizurra, Karl G, M14Shooter and 2 others like this.
  2. DaltonGang

Busy day today.
    First up, is the Wade & Butcher 13/16th. This was aptly name "Snaggle Tooth". http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/wade-butcher-aka-snaggle-tooth.57763/. It was a long restore, and a long Honing job. After some work with my usual stones, Welsh Slates, and an Arkansas Surgical Black Progression stone, it was super sharp(HHT-CN), and popping hairs, from Toe to Heel. Excellent shaver too.

PA171253.JPG

Kizurra, George X, Jim99 and 8 others like this.
  3. DaltonGang

Next was another Wade & Butcher.
    Same progression as above. It had some chipping along the entire blade, but not as much as the above W&B. Easy hone, and Laser sharp. I will shave with it this week.

PA171256.JPG

4. DaltonGang

Third up is the Crown and Sword. It looked great, when I got it, except under magnification, it had a couple of chips to work out on the toe and heel. After that, the usual Progression on my stones, and it is ready for some shaving.

PA171259.JPG

Kizurra, George X, Jim99 and 6 others like this.
  5. DaltonGang

The final for the day was with a Shur-Edge. This one was so rusty, the pitting couldn't be safely removed. So, it is, what it is. I did Cold Bluer the Tang, and buff it out slightly.
    The usual progression stones, and this one honed up the easiest of the bunch.

PA171258.JPG

6. Heljestrand23

Heljestrand23 Well-Known Member

That gold bug is awesome! I’ve been looking for a nice example for a long time, SDR made some excellent razors

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kizurra, George X, Karl G and 3 others like this.
  7. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Thank you. It's a nice shaver.

8. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    My 1st Outing with My Newly Acquired Charnley Forest..I Honed this NOS Hamburg Ring Solingen 6/8th on a Naniwa Super Stone Progression & 16 K Lapping Film as My Pre Finisher..A Number of Large Circle Sets Up & Down the Stone & 30/40 X Strokes & Wolah an Instant 16/17 K Edge from the Charnley Forest..I Used Oil on the Charnley..;)

Took Less then a Handful of Minutes..This Stone is a Tad Faster than My Surgical Black Arkansas But a Tad Harder Feel..This Particular Stone Will Pump Out a 20 K or 20 K + Edge No Problem..I Didn't Even Touch On its Maximum Finishing Capacity..So Called Slow Stones Don't Need to Take Forever if its Used Purely as a Finisher with a High Grit Synthetic Put Down..To Me that's the Secret..:D

Well..For Me Anyway..:angelic007:

Billy..:chores016:

Keithmax, Kizurra, George X and 7 others like this.
  9. M14Shooter

M14Shooter Well-Known Member

Just received an ERN 76 13/16.I hone her up to 12 K.Had a lovely shave but I guess I am getting used to using a razor with an Arkie edge . Kind of spoils me and makes me demand more from an edge.So I took the ERN back to the stones . I used a Welch Dragon Stone followed be a Translucent Arkie .This is the first time using this combo .All I can say is Wow!
    Produced my best edge to date .It was super keen and very smooth .Shave was Spectacular .I did use Lanskys Hone Oil on the Arkie .I know the quality of ERN's steel helped .But I think the Dragon Tongue/Arkie finishing combo has promise . rps20171018_235401_198.jpg

Keithmax, Kizurra, George X and 7 others like this.
  10. Billyfergie

[​IMG]
    I Used to Laugh at the Idea of a Natural Finishing Combo Set Up...I Use One at the Moment..My Coticule/Yellow Lake Combo..For Me the Edge are Miraculous..I Normally Do this for Myself Due to Time Constraint's but I Did it for a Few SRs for a Couple of Folks for them to Try it..They Love it an All..One Gent Asks Me to Use this Stone Combo on All his SRs..One Can be So Creative with Natural Stones..:)

I Used to Laugh at Natural Stones Full Stop..Silly Me..:happy102:

Keithmax, Kizurra, George X and 5 others like this.
  11. Paul76

Paul76 Well-Known Member

William Rodgers “I cut my way”5/8
    Used a norton 1k for the bevel set and then the coticule for refining and polishing the blade. This one took an amazing edge from the coticule. Popped arm hairs with ease and shaved my coarse beard without any tugging or irritation. 58F6C7B1-4F79-4B08-BC13-DE65CBD0ECDC.jpeg

Keithmax, Kizurra, Jim99 and 3 others like this.
  12. Paul76

Paul76 Well-Known Member

Wow so that stone can refine a 16k edge? Well I’m impressed! I’ll be keeping my eye out for another one of those, this time I won’t pass on it

13. Billyfergie

Yeah..It Does..I May have Even Just Taken it Over the Cusp of 16 K..Sheffield Hollow Grinds in General Cant Handle an Edge Much Past 16 K..This is My 2nd Outing with the Stone..It Usually Takes Me a Handful of Razors to Learn the Basic Characteristics of a New Stone..:)

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
  14. Paul76

Paul76 Well-Known Member

Even better, it’s easy to learn to use. Yup I’ll be searching.

Kizurra, Karl G and Billyfergie like this.
  15. Billyfergie

After I Plonk Down the 16 K Synthetic..I Just Use the Lightest of Strokes to Flip it Over to a Charnely Edge & Refine it at the Same Time..This Particular Stone is a Faster Cutter than My Arkie..I Think I Done 20 Big Circle Sets Up & Down the Stone & around 40 X Stroke or there about as I Wasn't Really Counting as I Go By Feel..;)

Plonking Down a 16 K Edge Just Requires Very Light Strokes in the Hand..I Tend to Push & Pull the Razor & Stone Equally in Opposite Direction's During Strokes..I Don't Wanna Regress the 16 K Edge or Kill it with Pressure..It Works for Me..:happy088:

I Am Impressed with this Stone..Getting the Feel of it..:eatdrink047:

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
    Kizurra, George X, Jim99 and 4 others like this.
  16. Heljestrand23

[​IMG]
    Bismarck Private Special, set the bevel on the Norton 4K, then progressed Norton 8K, Welsh 12K, Welsh 15K, and finished on the Trans Arkansas with oil. Very smooth edge!

Keithmax, Kizurra, Karl G and 4 others like this.
  17. Billyfergie

[​IMG]
    Those Tony Miller Heirloom Strops are Lovely Strops..I have a Very Early Double Sided Edition that's No Longer Made..Its Very Heavy Made..Its a Ruddy Corker..:happy088:

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
    Keithmax, Kizurra, Karl G and 3 others like this.
  18. Heljestrand23

Very nice, it’s only been used a couple times since I just received it, but it is definitely Premium! Horse hide on yours, very nice!!

Kizurra, Karl G and Billyfergie like this.
  19. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

Worked on 2 razors last night...

A Thistle Cut Co. 7/8" that needed a little sanding and some honing.

[​IMG]

And Bengall that was in worse shape. This one took a bit more sanding and the scales need to be revived (soaking them with white mineral oil at the moment), but it took on a nice edge and I will be giving her a whirl this evening.

[​IMG]

Keithmax, mrchick, Kizurra and 4 others like this.
  20. DaltonGang

I had a couple of hours to kill, so, I honed three razors.

"Star 46". A.Halverson Co. Oklahoma City & Muskogee. M.I.Germany.
    Kind of a PITA to hone. It came all messed up, and a little crusty. The edge was totally shot, and had to have a completely new bevel put on. It was also stubborn, in the center, but came around after a lengthy 1k workout. The welsh Slate Stones, and the Arkansas Surgical Black progression stone made the edge hair popping sharp.

Middle
    A.B.Shipley & Son. Philadelphia.
    Awesome chunky, hollow ground cast steel. This was a nightmare and a full restore job, when I acquired it. The blade was rusty, and the scales were split, and cracking all over, inside the scales, as well as the outside.
    This razor took a fast edge, and was straight as an arrow. A real pleasure to hone. It took on a wickedly sharp edge, with the Surgical Black Arkie. For some reason, I like the profile and feel of this blade, and will shave with it, in a little while.

Bottom
    This blade came, almost shave ready, so I thought, until I tried to shave with it. I took it down to the 1k, and progressed through the Welsh Slates and Arkansas Surgical Black. It was a very very easy hone, and had a nice hard feel on the stones. This one took to the Welsh Slates beautifully. Hair popping goodness.

PB021300.JPG

Linuxguile, Keithmax, mrchick and 3 others like this.