What Straight Razor Have You Honed Lately????

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Sep 25, 2016.

1. The Fox

The Fox Well-Known Member

Nope. My strategy mostly revolves around randomly buying/collecting stuff and hoping for the best. I've watched some videos on You-Tube that make me feel like a rank amateur (which of course, I quite literal am) because of all the hardware, pastes, etc to get a perfect hone. So I really have no way of knowing if I'm doing a good job honing my razors, or if I've just conditioned myself to think bad is normal. However, when I shave with my straight razors, the shave is about as good as what I get from a DE razor, so I guess that means I'm not doing too bad?

Back to the hone, just by feeling the surface, the "smooth side" feels noticeably courser than my 5000 grit. The other side feels like very fine sand paper. I'm going to make a very uneducated guess and say it's a 400/1000 combo. It did occur to me AFTER I finished that this stone was probably meant to be used with oil instead of water.

M14Shooter, Karl G, mrchick and 2 others like this.
  2. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I found the "60x Lighted Jewelers Loupe", invaluable to my honing. It is most helpful at looking for any imperfections along the edge, that the naked eye cannot see. You can also look at the honing marks, to see if you have honed the previous stones striations out. That is a good indication on whether it's about time to move on to the next stone, in your progression, but not always.

3. Heljestrand23

Heljestrand23 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Tried out my new Coticule and Escher today on a Caruso Solingen . Used a King 1K for Bevel set, then moved to Norton 4K and stropped on Lenin. Then went straight to the Coti under running water without a slurry until the blade started sticking. I finished off with my new Escher, boy is it smooth! I did laps and small circles until the blade started to stick a little bit, then made a light slurry and did 15 laps. I finished off with 120 laps on my Toney Miller heirloom #2.
    This is my first try with this progression, and first try with an Escher. I’ll let you know how it turns out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Karl G, Keithmax, mrchick and 2 others like this.
  4. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG]
    Escher Thuri Stones are the Dogs Bollocks..I Use Water on Mine & Pre Finish Under Running Water..Then Finish with a Tallow Lather & Glycerine In My Hand..The Tallow Lather & Glycerine Consistently Offers Me that Special Extra Fine Edge..My Escher Thuri has a 16 K Finishing Capacity Without Trying & 16 + with a Bit More Focus...:)

Billy..:chores016:

Linuxguile, Karl G, TestDepth and 3 others like this.
  5. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

Was it hard to get him out from under the monument?

Karl G and Billyfergie like this.
  6. Billyfergie

[​IMG]

:rofl:

Karl G, TestDepth, Keithmax and 3 others like this.
  7. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

Where in the WORLD did you find THAT animation? Especially so quickly?

8. Billyfergie

[​IMG]

Faster than an Ingram..:happy097:

9. Heljestrand23

Heljestrand23 Well-Known Member

Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

Here is an old George Butler Trinity Works SR that I cleaned up some time ago and I just got around to honing today. I did my usual Naniwa progression 1k to 12k. The blade took a keen edge but it was a bugger to set the bevel. Nice etch on the blade. Anyhooo...I am shaving with this puppy tomorrow morning and I am anxious to see how it shaves!
    Nov 13.jpg
    Nov 13 2.jpg

Karl G, TestDepth, Keithmax and 5 others like this.
  11. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

Update: I shaved with the George Butler razor this morning and it performed like a star. On a scale of 1 to 10 it was a solid 9. I was very pleased! :chores016:

Karl G, TestDepth, Kokak and 4 others like this.
  12. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

Nice work.

13. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Earlier in the week I had a chance to hone this F Herder 77. I am loving this progression of a Naniwa SS 1k, followed by Shapton Glass 4K & 8k, and then finished on what’s in the picture: Okudo with the back end of a Mikawa Shiro Nagura progression (Mejiro) and a Nakayama tomo nagura.

Enjoyed the shave, the blade, and the scales are so horrible I think I am starting to like them also. Happy honing!

A4288769-08FA-40B8-9FD9-609CB57F01C9.jpeg

14. Billyfergie

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    My Stainless Steel Solingen Herders are Both Superb Shavers...I Love Em Both..:happy088:

15. TestDepth

When they shave as good as they look... doesn’t get any better than that! Beautiful Herders.

Karl G, Billyfergie and Keithmax like this.
  16. TestDepth

Now can I trade you scales????
    ;)

Karl G, Billyfergie and Keithmax like this.
  17. Billyfergie

[​IMG]

Keithmax, Karl G and TestDepth like this.
  18. Billyfergie

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I Honed these Two Recently Acquired SRs Today..A Mint NOS LesTrail Solingen Finest Silver Steel 5/8th 1/2 Hollow & a Factory Fresh NOS TIMOR Blue Steel 5/8th Solingen Full Hollow..Honed on a Naniwa Super Stone Progression to 12 K..Pre Finished on 16 K Lapping Film..One Finished on My 16 K Escher Thuri & One Finished on My 20 K Surgical Black Arkansas..Both of these Razors Took Superb Shaving Edges..;)

I Set the Bevel on the TIMOR Blue Steel Solingen On around 80 Sets on the 1 K Stone..Just a Few Minutes was All..Probably the Most Perfect Ground Blade from the Factory I have Ever Honed..Its Defo a Keeper..I Just Sold the LesTrail Solingen Finest Silver Steel 5/8th 1/2 Hollow..:)

Fancy Razors & Scales Mean Nowt to Me..Some of the Finest Shavers I have are Nothin Fancy to Look At..:happy102:

Keithmax, Karl G, mrchick and 2 others like this.
  19. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Yeppers, my best shavers are Plain Jane's too.

20. Billyfergie

[​IMG]