What Straight Razor Have You Honed Lately????

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Sep 25, 2016.

1. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Interesting razor tonight...
    Has Verbeke-Devrieze Thielt on the show side and the Omega symbol and “14” on reverse.

My Google-Fu is lacking on this one. Found a Joseph Feist with the Omega trademark out of Solingen in the 1920’s and found a Verbeke and Devrieze marriage in the late 1800’s in Tielt, Belgium. So not sure what this means, but this razor checks most of my “wow” boxes:
    15/16... check
    Shoulderless... check
    French tip... check
    Hollow grind... check
    And while different than most “14’s” I see, it still has one... check

Bevel set on Naniwa 1k, refined on Shapton 4&8k, finished on Okudo with a Mejiro nagura then Nakayama tomo. Can’t wait to shave.
    605BBC43-C507-456D-B909-95DAA5DFC3FA.jpeg

Keithmax, Drygulch, Bookworm and 4 others like this.
  2. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

I was looking for an 8k stone at Straight Razor Designs and had a couple questions. Gave them a call and got to speak with Lynn Abrams himself. Had a great conversation and picked up some good advice from one of the best. A real gentleman.

Keithmax, Drygulch, Karl G and 5 others like this.
  3. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

French Frameback on the hones last night. Had to work on this one quite a bit, to get past some pitting in the heel. Naniwia 1,3,5, and 8k, and Sharpton 12k ceramic.
    910A57C8-02AA-4EFD-8249-D87AD58CCDE1.jpeg

Redfisher, Karl G, M14Shooter and 6 others like this.
  4. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Those old French Framebacks are cool. I have one on the backburner, just waiting to be honed.

Karl G, Keithmax, Linuxguile and 3 others like this.
  5. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I Honed this NOS Kropp Sheffield 6/8th & a Nice Hermes Solingen 6/8th on My Recently Acquired Dark Blue Thuri..I Played around to Recce the Stone to Get the Feel of it..I Eventually Settled on the Same Method I Use for My Escher Thuri..:)

Honed on a Naniwa Super Stone Progression & Pre Finished on 16 K Lapping Film..I Used Clear Water on the Thuri with Zero Slurry & Finished with Tallow Lather & Glycerin..This Stone Feels Way Different to My Escher Thuri..My Escher Thuri has a Finishing Capacity of 16 K or 16 K +..This Dark Blue Thuri is a Bit Shy of that..I Reckon its Pushing Out Around 15 K in Capable Hands..;)

Sweet Edges..Canny be Bad..:angelic007:

Billy..:chores016:

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
  6. joamo

joamo Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Rescaled and honed this Clean Clipper today. It had a nasty little frown but I got it worked out.

7. The Fox

The Fox Well-Known Member

I guess I could google it, but is that an antique razor or new(ish)? I love the look of the scales.

Billyfergie likes this.
  8. joamo

joamo Well-Known Member

Thanks, the razor is vintage, the scales came from a heavy vinyl tray I found at the Goodwill.

9. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Three razors were restored and honed today. Each went through the usual progression of a 1k King, 3k/8k???, 8k 12k 15k Welsh Slate Stones, Sioux Quartzite Around 12-15 k(Testing), and an Arkansas Surgical Black Progression Stone. Followed by a few laps on Chromium Oxide Strop, Linen Strop, and Russian Leather Strop. All pass the HHT-CN.

Wade And Butcher
    An ever so slight frown, that had to be corrected, with a coarse hone, then it was taken to the King 600 grit stone. It progressed easily after that. Easy razor to hone.

PC061392.JPG

Joh Engstrom. Eskilstuna Sweden
    Easy to hone, and went through the progression above. It took on a bevel fast, and was easy throughout.

PC061391.JPG

Dame Stoddard & Kendall. "Hub" Made in Germany
    This had a smile, and a frown, all on the same blade, at the heel, that was corrected. I took it to the King 600 Grit and went from there. It just took a little more time to get a bevel to appear. It happens, when you remove a bevel, because of the frown.

PC061390.JPG

10. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Took a little time last night to work on two razors that were gifts from @Keithmax for Secret Santa. He let me know both needed to be honed before I used them. The first is a Thiers Issard 69 frameback. I had honed this one a few weeks ago, but didn’t quite get it right. It had some pitting on the bevel at the heel I couldn’t see except with my USB scope. I ended up using a Washita Arkansas stone to grind past the pitting, and even out the edge. I ended up making the heel about an eighth of an inch shorter than it was, so the razor is wide at the toe, and tappers down to the heel. Used Naniwia 1, 3, 5, and 8K SuperStones, Sharpton Ceriamic 12K, and a Translucent Arkansas. Stropped on Cromeium Oxide on linen, plain linen, and horsehide. Result was a great shave, with a consistent and even bevel under the scope. Very smooth and easy to use.

Second Razor was a Japanese Frameback. This one looked pretty good under the scope, so I only wanted to touch it up with my 12k, Translucent, and strops. As I looked at the progress through the scope, I think I might have taken this one backwards a little bit. I did get a consistent bevel across the edge, but because I use tape on the spines, I could see it was a secondary bevel across the initial one. Tests show it to be very sharp, but I won’t know for sure until Saturday when I use it.
    56A49E45-4863-42D0-A187-0E5FBA253287.jpeg

11. Billyfergie

[​IMG]
    My Naniwa Pro 400 Grit Stone Arrived Today that My Daughter Bought for My Birthday..I Got it to for Heavier Resto & Bevel Setting Work..This is a Very Smooth Stone for a 400 Grit & Leaves Minimal Marks on the Bevel..I Set the Bevel on this Sheffield Wedge in Jig Time & My Naniwa Chosera 1 K Polished the 400 Grit Marks Out in No Time at All..:)

This is a Wonderful Stone for Cutting Bevels..:shocked003:

12. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I should of told you I did not use tape on the J frameback. Enjoy!

mrchick, Drygulch and Billyfergie like this.
  13. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

No worries. I know what to look for now when I start honing to see that. I’m excited to give it a try on Saturday.

Billyfergie likes this.
  14. Billyfergie

A Razor that has Recently been Honed Without Tape Can Be Re Honed or Refreshed with Tape..It Doesn't Make Any Difference..That Said..If there is One SR Design that I Reckon NEEDS Tape on the Hone its a Frameback..Why???Because the Spine in Most if Not All Framebacks is a Lot Softer than the Blade..The Steel on the Blades On Every Frameback I have Honed is Very Hard Steel & the Spines are Substantially Softer..;)

Most Framebacks Take a Micro Bevel at the Best of Times..When the Spine Gets HoneWear it Flattens the Blade on the Hone & Changes the Factory Pre Set Angle..In Other Words...The Geometry of Framebacks is Very Delicate & Leaves Little Room for Hone Wear on the Spine..Bearing in Mind they Can Require a LOT of Work on the Hone..:eek:

Thats My Experience after Honing Many Framebacks..For What its Worth..:lyrtuy5:

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
    Karl G, Redfisher, Keithmax and 6 others like this.
  15. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Great, now you tell me. Thanks for the useful information.

16. M14Shooter

M14Shooter Well-Known Member

Bartman 5/8 Fresh off the Yellow Lake .Had a Great Shave .The yellow Lake produced a suburb smooth and keen edge. rps20171209_002235_240.jpg

17. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Honed up this John Smith today. I received the straight yesterday. It needed a bit of love. The Stirling end piece was no longer attached to the scales. So I cleaned everything up and repined the scales.

I took the Blade through my Naniwa progression. Then finished it on my JNat. Then a 100 Lap’s on my @Drygulch Latigo

I will give it a go tonight [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Karl G, Drygulch, Redfisher and 4 others like this.
  18. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

Very cool razor..

TestDepth, Billyfergie and twhite like this.
  19. Billyfergie

[​IMG]
    I Gave My Rather Mint French Pradat Brun 6/8th FrameBack the Full Monty Today on a Naniwa Super Stone Progression..Pre Finished on 16 K Lapping Film & Finished on My 16 K Escher Thuri..I Had a Synthetic 16 K Finisher on it Beforehand..:)

I Thought it Deserved the Royal Treatment..King Escher..:smiley respect:

Keithmax, Karl G, Drygulch and 3 others like this.
  20. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

This is a very smooth razor. I like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Karl G, Billyfergie and TestDepth like this.