What Straight Razor Have You Honed Lately????

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Sep 25, 2016.

1. joamo

joamo Well-Known Member

Newly scaled W&B.
    Scales from an acrylic tray found at the Goodwill.
    Edge was in bad shape, started with a HF diamond plate, 400/1000 Suehiro for the bevel set.
    [​IMG]
    The scales before pinning,
    [​IMG]

Deeter, Drygulch, Keithmax and 5 others like this.
  2. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

Interesting video on making razors!

Keithmax, Spyder, DaltonGang and 2 others like this.
  3. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

Nice! How do you cut and shape the scales?

4. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

Nice work!

Love the scale material, no need to over think it. Those look great.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

5. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

Guess ill be adding vintage food trays to my flea mkt list

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

6. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Very nice work. Two thumbs up. :happy088::happy088:

7. joamo

joamo Well-Known Member

I have a scroll saw that worked well to cut a single thickness of the tray but when 2 layers were put together, the scroll saw just welded it back together as it cut. I removed most of the material with a drum sander in a drill press. The rough contouring was done with a Dremel, then sanding from 500 w/d through 2000 w/d. Mother's polish and heavy rubbing with cotton scrap material similar to a flour sack brought out the shine.
    The scales material takes on a nice satin finish by sanding at 500-600 wet/dry and rubbing with the cloth. I've done that before and liked the results, but wanted to go for the high shine this time.

Keithmax, Spyder, M14Shooter and 4 others like this.
  8. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG]
    These Two SRs were Honed on a Naniwa Super Stone Progression & Finished on My Escher Thuri 16 K +..A Bartmann Solingen 15/16th & a Brand New Mastro Livi 6/8th Custom..The Owner Said the Bevel was Odd on the Mastro & it was Ruff as Hell..Bearing in Mind the Mastro was Sold by the Master Himself as Shave Ready..:D

The Bevel was Odd Alright..There was No Bevel to Speak Of & the Edge was Ruff as Hell..It Took Me Bit of Time to Set the Bevel..This is the 2nd Mastro I have Got to Hone from New that Needed Taken to the 1 K Bevel Hone..A Lovely Razor..But Hey..The So Called Hone Job was Joe Amateur & to Put it Bluntly it was Crud..I Put a Superb Shaving Edge on it..:)

Maybe I Should Ask Mastro Livi for a Job..:rofl:

Billy..:chores016:

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
    Drygulch, Spyder, Keithmax and 4 others like this.
  9. Arnout

Arnout Well-Known Member

[​IMG] touch up of a.new friodur 17 1/2 on my nice esher, good shave!
    [​IMG] and my fairly new dorko 60 needed a.new bevel as the rear was forgotten by the previous owner, botan, tenjou,mehiro and koma to grind on the ozuko, tomonagura to polish. The shave was OK, but a tad.to agressive so.put it on a coticule for.tomorow.
    [​IMG]
    And this old boy has a skew back. Previous.owner didnt get.it.sharp, and its a pain,. As i font geel like turning this razor into a'6/8 i honed it on a slightly convex coticule. Curious to the result!

Drygulch, Spyder, Keithmax and 3 others like this.
  10. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

11/16’s Paul Kohl The “Fisher” on deck for this evening’s honing experience.
    This one has given me fits, and it boiled down to a less than stellar bevel. Haven’t missed in a while, but boy did I on this one :).
    Went back to the Shapton 4k and stayed there until I got it right. Worked my way through the 8k & 16k and then took it one step further with a tiny Suehiro Gokumyo 20k.
    Pretty comfy shave this evening...
    A54CC291-9013-48E6-88CA-9B820FFB3461.jpeg
    Happy honing!
    Tom

Dansco, dulac66, Billyfergie and 4 others like this.
  11. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    There is something REALLY comforting about a Dubl Duck finished on a Blue/Green Escher :D

HOTD Chosera 1-5-10 to set it all up for the Escher

[​IMG]

Spyder, M14Shooter, TestDepth and 5 others like this.
  12. Timwcic

Timwcic Well-Known Member

Refreshed a Henckels & Hammesfahr and a Wilhelm Mandt on a purple slate. I have been told it is either a Vosgienne or a Vermont slate. Whichever it is, it delivers a close comfortable shave

IMG_1615.JPG

Dansco, Keithmax, Billyfergie and 3 others like this.
  13. Arnout

Arnout Well-Known Member

Honing a poor mans 7 day set for the very poor as it misses a blade ...
    To make it less boring i used
    The jnat, the coticule, the coticule to esher, the coticule to charnley forrest, the coticule and the "12k" welsh slate and synthetics 1,2,5 and 10 k

And a touch up of a shortened solingen razor on the yellow green esher!

Keithmax and TestDepth like this.
  14. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

IMG_2479.jpg Freshened up a Tanifuji Favorit 3000 on a vintage Kato-era maruka. Shaved with it this morning and it was super smooth and close.

Cheers, Steve

Dansco, Keithmax, Billyfergie and 4 others like this.
  15. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

IMG_2494.jpg IMG_2487.jpg

Did a couple just for fun. First up was a 6/8 Simmons Hornet, an unusual razor not just because of the 'Warranted Satisfactory or No Sale' stamped on the blade. It's also one of the most hollow razors I have, super thin near the edge and you need to limit pressure or the edge will flex when you hone. It takes some skill to grind a razor this thin, and whoever ground this one was good and having a good day. It makes a Filly look chunky. I honed it on a stone I call the 'ugly asagi' because it has a face only a mother could love complete with almost every jnat fault in the catalog. However, none of the faults are 'toxic' and the stone yields a very smooth shaving edge.

Next up, a French Le Jaguar finished on a the 'Grand Prismatic Nakayama', a colorful stone that's always fun to use just because you get to marvel at the color, all the colors of the rainbow. Usually stones this colorful are not hard and fine enough for razors, but this one is, colorful and razor grade is fairly rare.

Cheers, Steve

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
    Dansco, Spyder, Keithmax and 4 others like this.
  16. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

Lovely Razors & Beautiful Stones..I have Owned a Simmons Solingen 6/8th..I Have Never Seen Any SRs as Thinly Ground or as Hollowed as Some Solingen Blades..No Where Near & have a Few Quite Thinly Ground Sheffield s..;)

I Have about a Dozen Solingen Razors..The Thinner Grinds are Among My Favorite Blades..They Do Take Some Care on the Hones as You Say..A Heavy Hand will Bugger them Up in Jig Time..I Love Dialling these Razors in at the Finishing Stages..They Take a Wee Bit of Finesse at the Finishing Stages & thats My Favorite & Most Exciting Stage of Honing Em..:)

Billy..:chores016:

17. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

DSC_1022.JPG DSC_1023.JPG

I honed this mint Joseph Rodgers 6/8 military razor (it had the metal scales and is stamped on reverse of tang H.M.GOV)
    I used the Naniwa Hayabusa for the mid range honing (as pictured) a very capable indeed, nice and smooth.

I have rescaled the razor in LSU colours for a friend of mine.

Dansco, Spyder, Heljestrand23 and 4 others like this.
  18. TestDepth

Playing with some Coticules...
    B. Worth & Sons restore from bevel set.
    Bevel set & refinement with Naniwa 1k and Shapton Glass 4k.
    Went to the vintage Coticule, first on the BBW side (love the purple) and then the yellow. Then shifted to the La Veinette bout, taking it from slurry to running water.
    5BD09A72-CBD4-4699-B5E4-5C9BBCD7B117.jpeg
    Felt good off the strop and plan to use it Monday.
    Here was the vintage when purchased.
    9DED65E2-6F38-4F53-805D-B6C4872E2C87.jpeg
    Back to football.
    Tom.

Dansco, Spyder, Steve56 and 4 others like this.
  19. TestDepth

Went all synthetic this evening with the Ern Bur/Turban...
    Bevel on Naniwa 1k
    Shapton Glass progression 4/8/16k
    See how she feels tonight
    47B3AFCA-1991-4963-976A-C9F23322DCA6.jpeg
    Felt nice and sticky on the 16k.
    Tom.

Dansco, Keithmax, Billyfergie and 3 others like this.
  20. TestDepth

Wife out of town + crappy weather = time to play with razors...
    Pulled this one out for a little clean up and hone. Has “Damascus” interwoven in a pair of snakes with Magnet Steel on the tang.
    Before (not bad at all):
    AB982B17-57CC-4561-A1D0-E77020386B23.jpeg
    Protected the snakes with masking tape and hit it with Flitz. Went Naniwa 1k - Shapton 4k- Vintage Coticule- ending on an “Extra Extra” Fine size 4 bout.
    131B999B-D2A9-42BD-85EC-68FBEFCAAD9D.jpeg
    A quick picture of the marking on the Coticule:
    247231F1-C36F-403A-B5A5-49EE158247D6.jpeg
    Happy honing!
    Tom