What Straight Razor Have You Honed Lately????

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

Och Aye the Noo..Napoleon Once Said..BOYS ARE LED BY THEIR TOYS...You Need to be Very Careful on the Thuri Front..They Vary from around 10 1/2 K to 17 K +..I Just Honed a Razor on this New Stone..Its up there at the 17 K Mark at Least & Maybe then Some..I Took a Sheffield Off at the 16 K + Mark & it was Still Polishing..Big Time..:happy088:

Billy..:chores016:

2. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I don't know what to look for. That is why I am hesitant about purchasing them. Thanks Billy.

3. Billyfergie

Well..I Am Not an Expert..But these Lighter Colored Ones Seem to be Among the Finer Grit Thuri Stones..Thats All I Can Say..The Best Place is UK Ebay for One of these Lighter Colored Stones..They Stick Out a Mile..:happy088:

4. DaltonGang

Thanks.

Billyfergie likes this.
  5. Billyfergie

[​IMG]

DaltonGang and Keithmax like this.
  6. Arnout

Arnout Well-Known Member

I tried a few eshers, and i ended up keeping a yellow green esher, it is olivegreen but gives a yellow-white slush, and scratches in the stone apear yellow.
    It is a supersoft yet sharp finisher!

Got it on ebay.

Paul76, DaltonGang, Keithmax and 2 others like this.
  7. Billyfergie

Some Maybe Refer to Both of Mine as Yellow Green or Somethin Like that..I Just Call Em..Light Colored..They Look More Kinda Light Grayish Blue or Green to Me..Thats Just Me Talkin..My Simple Mind..:happy097:

8. Billyfergie

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Mines are Bit Lighter in Real Light...But You Can See the Real Differnce Between these than a Typical Dark One Above..The Dark Ones are Often Referred to as Dark Royal Blue or Near Black..I Just Call Em..Dark or Light..Both My Stones are Not Soft..They are Reasonably Hard & Kinda Glass Like to Hone On..:happy088:

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
    Paul76, Dansco, DaltonGang and 3 others like this.
  9. Arnout

Arnout Well-Known Member

Esher used a few quality names to sell esher, yellow green was the most sougth after and most expensive.

The label on the back or on the box says what it is. Pretty easy!

It is also the label that makes the stone expensive, verry fine hone, probably thuringer, passibly yg esher is wothrth 1/3 of the price of its labeled twin.

Paul76, Keithmax and Billyfergie like this.
  10. Billyfergie

The Problem with Labels Can be this..Escher Labels Go for Silly Money..Not All Eschers are Like for Like..Some Eschers are NOT Fine Stones..I Can Say that for a Fact..In Fact..On One Labelled Escher I Test Shaved it was Sub 12 K..:)

There are Serious Labeled Collector Escher Buffs Out there & they have Pushed the Prices to Crazy Money..In the USA in Particular..:angelic007:

Paul76 and Keithmax like this.
  11. Arnout

Arnout Well-Known Member

There are fake jnats, fake straight razors, fake DE razors,...
    Find a decent salesman, ask a return if not pleased,...

The nice thing about a label is you know what it was meant to do.

Still, for me the yg is not the sharpest esher, but it is the softest.
    For me sharp and soft are a different ballgame.

Billyfergie and Keithmax like this.
  12. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

IMG_0994.jpg

BaBa Swedish steel 13/16 1/4 hollow, kind of the Japanese equivalent of an English FBU except you can barely see the bevels.

The razor was unhoned and had a couple of tiny, tiny chips in the edge, so those were removed with a Shapton Glass 1k, then followed by a Shapton Glass 4k, half-stropped and tested for bevel set. It passed, and I decided to mix things up a little and forego the usual 8k Shapton Pro and koma nagura, and use a fast leopard pattern Nakayama sunashi suita instead. No more synth marks! Then onto a vintage maruka for the finishing touch. Looking forward to the shave tomorrow!

Cheers, Steve

Dansco, Keithmax, Paul76 and 4 others like this.
  13. DaltonGang

Kinfolks Blue Steel Special

This one was tricky. It was an $8 Ebay special, and had some pitting along the edge. It seemed just when I got past the pitting, in one part of the edge , some pitting opened up in another part of the edge.
    This one took a while, and cost me about two bevels worth of the edge. Surprising enough, the toe end of the blade, which looked the worst, was actually the shallowest of the pitting, and gave me no problems. There is still some pitting in the bevel, just not at the very edge. I was trying not to reduce the size of the blade, too much. It took on a wicked edge with the Welsh Slates, and the Arkansas Surgical Black Stones. Excellent smooth shaver.

P4140130.JPG

Dansco, Billyfergie, Keithmax and 5 others like this.
  14. Paul76

Paul76 Well-Known Member

Every time I’ve seen an Escher for sale it is at a crazy price. I’ve seen them at all the way to $1000. And now the celebrated water hone thuringians are going in that same trend. They always seem to be labeled as “Escher?” Or as “Escher quality” And plus they are not in very good shape and never still adhered to the box still. I stay away from the stones on eBay due to most listings seem very deceptive imo.

Billyfergie and Keithmax like this.
  15. Paul76

Paul76 Well-Known Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] Finished up the bevel set on this yesterday after 4 sittings of work on it. Then after dinner finished it up on the coticule.
    EL&co 1. 1/16 wedge it had been 1. 1/8 but there was a lot of pitting at the edge in the center. Turned out pretty good the bevel is not completely even on both sides since the grind was a slight more hollow to the front center. But it shaves very well now.

SevenEighth, Keithmax, Dansco and 4 others like this.
  16. Arnout

Arnout Well-Known Member

Ok, i ll consider selling mine if the price goes up a bit more

If the bidding is crazy, dont buy!

Keithmax and Paul76 like this.
  17. Arnout

Arnout Well-Known Member

IMG]http://i67.tinypic.com/5v4ugo.jpg[/IMG]

A feist from solingen, a thin blade, started with polishing to get rid of the black spots, after that reset the bevel on the coticule diluted till water and then toward the ozuko. Damn fine knive, but not mine

18. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Wonderful work on that one! I was so close to being a competition bidder :) but the edge scared me away at the last minute. Such a cool razor and excellent job bringing it back to life. :eatdrink047:
    Tom.

Keithmax, Billyfergie, Paul76 and 2 others like this.
  19. Paul76

Paul76 Well-Known Member

Thanks Tom @TestDepth it took quite some time to get this one shaving. I had originally thought I would loose more steel than what I did. It is an excellent shaver. I think it will take a while to get used to the weight. It’s way heavier compared to the rest on my hollow grinds.

20. DaltonGang

Otto Deutsch's Hans.

It took a little while to gently bring up an edge. The blade was not large, and a large frown was corrected.
    In the end, the edge turned out wickedly sharp, finishing out on the Welsh Slate Stones, and the Arkie Surgical Black Stone. Killer shave too.

P4150134.JPG

Linuxguile, Paul76, Dansco and 4 others like this.