What Straight Razor Have You Honed Lately????

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Sep 25, 2016.

1. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

"Absolute Guarantee No.8 Special". Simmons Hardware Co. St Louis Co.
    Double Concave Blade.

Here is a good look at the Double Concave Blade.
    [​IMG]

Anyway, This one had a slight frown, that was easy to massage out. Honing this though the usual progression, was uneventful. I will say, that this style blade is very stiff, and feels like you are honing a chunky Wedge razor. Throughout the honing, it easily took on a fantastically sharp edge. After stropping it was sharp, HHT-CN(Chuck Norris). The edge was so sharp, the hair saw it, and just split from fright. :rofl: Waaa, Haaa Haaaaaa!

P5030178.JPG

2. Arnout

Arnout Well-Known Member

Daltongang, do you like shaving with these CN / hht5+ edges?

Keithmax likes this.
  3. DaltonGang

"Yes", and a resounding "No", at times. The least little bit off, and you have blood. On the plus side, HHT-CN(5) edge give a smooth shave. I will find out tomorrow. These Double Concave blades are supposed to be very stiff, like a wedge, so it should also be a little more forgiving.

Billyfergie and Keithmax like this.
  4. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

IMG_1073.jpg

I had observed a little bobble on the edge of one of the King Pelican 14s, so I re-honed it. 1k Shapton Glass took care of the problem, followed by a 2k and 5k Shapton Pros, then a (probably) Aiiwatani kiita that's super fast and eliminates the 8k and koma nagura in my usual progression. Finisher is a super-fine karasu with an equally fine tomonagura.

Cheers, Steve

5. Arnout

Arnout Well-Known Member

Dalton,
    I am not really into the ultrasharp anymore.
    They are tricky, and with a hht5 I get has, but with a a hht3 I can put a little more pressure, make the knive cut more rather than scrape and shave even shorter so I stay smooth way longer,..

Keithmax and DaltonGang like this.
  6. DaltonGang

About a HHT-3-4 is about my speed. My skin is intra sensitive, and that sharper seems better, with less pressure. Too sharp and I don't enjoy the shave as much. I then have to concentrate on not messing up in the slightest.

Billyfergie, Keithmax and Arnout like this.
  7. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

A French blade - Jardy 60. About 13/16” with a decent amount of the blade face design remaining. Tried to clean up without losing it. Not bad... definitely shows its age.
    21A43600-E96A-47EC-B6E6-2115C6FD6392.jpeg
    Bevel set and refinement on the Naniwa 1k & Shapton 4k. Then went to the Okudo with the Tenjyou, Mejiro & Nakayama tomo progression - love the smell of the Nakayama slurry :). Action shot for fun:
    7EC5E022-FB6D-4931-A7F9-F5D3FE3DF69A.jpeg
    Happy honing!
    Tom.

Billyfergie, Keithmax, Arnout and 3 others like this.
  8. DaltonGang

That's what I like to see. A razor with character. Btw, I have several French razors, and all are built well, and shave well.

Billyfergie, Keithmax and TestDepth like this.
  9. TestDepth

Definitely looking forward to giving her a spin tomorrow. :eatdrink047:

Billyfergie and DaltonGang like this.
  10. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

IMG_1074.jpg

King Pelican 14 that I re-honed last night, soap is the old B&M Black Label Lavender, brush is a 2-band HMW. As is Harris Pink. Perfect shave.

Cheers, Steve

11. TestDepth

Otto Busch World Master 194 today.
    A little change - went the normal Naniwa 1k & Shapton 4k for bevel setting but then went Shapton 8k followed by the Okudo with just the Nakayama tomo. I also never refreshed the slurry, my tendency is to refresh the slurry at least once at each step, so basically just worked it until it got much darker. Felt pretty good but will see tomorrow.
    D1210A3C-AD00-476D-BBA7-B973B41CEB0F.jpeg
    Happy honing.
    Tom

dulac66, Billyfergie, Arnout and 2 others like this.
  12. M14Shooter

M14Shooter Well-Known Member

That Otto Busch looks new .I love how my World Master shaves .Smooth as silk .Enjoy that German work of art .

13. TestDepth

:happy088: My buddy made a great purchase.

Billyfergie likes this.
  14. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

IMG_1085.jpg IMG_1084.jpg

I've been putting some old favorites back to work, both very small and both very good razor finishers. They were both used hand held, the wooden block is just a prop to hold everything together for the image!

The first is a Scheön Burg frameback, spine protected with 1 mil DuPont Kapton. It's a very stiff razor as are most Japanese framebacks, re-scaled by Stefan (mainaman) a while back. The stone is a deep strata egg kiita, probably Nakayama with some black spots like karasu but they aren't crows. A fantastically good stone with a little touch of rouge in it which is uncommon for a hard stone.

Next up, an Eiko on a Nakayama koppa that I bought from Alex G many years ago, a hard orangish kiita with pastel rouge, green, and blue mixed in. Lovely stone, and arguably the fastest hard stone I have. The small size is not a liability because of its speed.

Cheers, Steve

15. Arnout

Arnout Well-Known Member

Nice stones and razors Steve!

No nagura?

Keithmax, TestDepth and Steve56 like this.
  16. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Tks! I just didn't bother with including the nagura this time, I have a couple of favorite naguras and usually use the same ones.

Cheers, Steve

Billyfergie, TestDepth and Arnout like this.
  17. Arnout

Arnout Well-Known Member

A few new knives in the den, this solingen needed a bit of sanding but lots of polishing.
    It has an extreme belly and us pretty stiff. It will shave rather like a 1/4 grinded i fear?
    The coticule from bevel to fucking sharp,...

[​IMG]
    This big full hollow solingen needed little polishing, from yea botan to koma on the ozuko.
    [​IMG]
    This old begonia from solingen had quote some sanding and polishing, but the main neglect happened on the rear so the etch is a bit saved.
    But the former honer lost a bit of the smile.
    A new little coticule got it back to sharp, but to waste some more time i got the welsh slates from ah out, and as i overdit a bit on the "15 k",i had to get out the charnley forest on water to soften it a bit.

[​IMG]
    The shave was ok, but the bevel was not consistent, so to the 1 k to put the smile back and on the jnat,...

18. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Had a great variation of Razors on the hones yesterday

All were set up on the Chosera 1-5-10

Boker Elite ~ Blue/Green Escher finish

[​IMG]

Wacker Old Sheffield and a TI ~ Nakayama with a Kita nagura finish

[​IMG]

Bengalls and a W&B ~ Select Grade Coticule finish using the "Smashed Slurry" technique

[​IMG]

Hone On !!!!

19. Arnout

Arnout Well-Known Member

Smashed slurry technique?

Good looking equipement by the way

20. DaltonGang

H.Boker & Co. "Tree".

This was in nasty shape, when I got it, and after a lot of work, on appearances The edge was found to have a lot of corrosion. I had to take off, almost an entire bevels worth of blade, to get to good steel. I brought up a quick bevel with a Norton 220 grit stone. After that, and many stones later, it took on a very nice edge, finishing with the Arkansas Surgical Black stone.

P5170208.JPG

P5170209.JPG

Keithmax, TestDepth, Arnout and 2 others like this.