What Straight Razor Have You Honed Lately????

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG]

dulac66 and TestDepth like this.
  2. Brickman301

Brickman301 Well-Known Member

Gave these 3 a touch up last night on the stone in the “international hone pass around” thread. Worked great using mineral oil. Got all 3 back to shave ready. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve56, mrchick, Keithmax and 5 others like this.
  3. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Threw the Suy Louvain on the hones...
    Bevel set and refinement with the Naniwa 1k & Shapton 4k. Second time using the Suehiro 6k. Then used the Mejiro nagura and Nakayama tomo on the Okudo. The 6k to Mejiro did work nicely on the Palma so let’s confirm. :)
    AA3A8A75-542F-4B31-9993-D2F2AC0E694E.jpeg
    Happy honing!
    Tom

4. Arnout

Arnout Well-Known Member

A nice friedr herder, little work, on a new small coticule.
    Nice shave!

[​IMG]

And a boker
    Even less work, a few dots that started growing, and also on coticule. Shaveready for tomorrow

[​IMG]

These three took some work, but they ended up pretty nice.
    http://i66.tinypic.com/24qn2ja.jpg

[​IMG]

dulac66, Steve56, mrchick and 5 others like this.
  5. joamo

joamo Well-Known Member

Gold Dollar,
    heavily modded ;). bevel set on a coarse diamond plate then Cambrian, La Roccia, Welsh purple and finished on my Sioux stone.
    [​IMG]

Billyfergie, dulac66, Steve56 and 7 others like this.
  6. Brickman301

Very nice!

Billyfergie and TestDepth like this.
  7. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

:signs021:

8. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

IMG_1140.jpg

User-grade Tanifuji Maxfli 100 on the new stone refinished from 8k with koma and tomonagura.

Cheers, Steve

9. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

IMG_1143.jpg

Yep, the same razor! Although the shave was fine, the heel tested a little weak so I grabbed an old favorite razor hone, a blonde karasu, and did a simple refresh with tomo slurry. That did the trick, the entire edge tests very well indeed. Maybe just needed a little more time on the rocks, who knows.

The stone on the left I use every time or one like it, it's a mostly shiro (white) uchigumori, a polishing stone that's normally used to polish swords or knives. When you hone with a jnat, it produces a microscopic burr, and Iwasaki speaks about this in his famous paper. He used a piece of hard wool like suit maker's wool) on a base with CrOx to remove the burr then did a partial re-finish to restore the slightly convexed edge. After talking with Alex Gilmore and Takeshi Aoki, I'm using around 10 ellipses and 4-5 x-strokes on the uchigumori DRY after honing and it seems to do the same thing without need of returning to the hone. The HHT does improve by using a few dry strokes. Then I used a few strokes of palm stropping and off to the Kanoyama for the final stropping.

Cheers, Steve

10. Arnout

Arnout Well-Known Member

The new Ti steel in a spartacus z
    On a coticule
    [​IMG]

Takes quite a bit of time compared to the old steel in the 1937, 69!
    [​IMG]

Both nice shaves, but my favorites remain the thin grinds,...

And i have a lot of great stones, jnat, esher, charnley forest, welsh slate,...
    But nothing beats a coticule!

dulac66, Brickman301, Steve56 and 5 others like this.
  11. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

I put a couple of dollars on the rocks today:
    [​IMG]

12. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    I had a Japanese invasion in the mail box yesterday :)

Chosera 1-5-10 and then to the Nakayama for the finishing touches with a Kita slurry going to almost dry

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hone on

13. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Nice lot. All for one person?? I Never tire of Japanese Razors. I need to spend more time using my Kamisori's.

14. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

IMG_1149.jpg

Got in a new to me Gold Rex. It had a full synth edge to Gok 20k and CrOx edge, so I gave it a whirl. It was a decent edge but still synth/CrOx, so I decided to put a jnat edge on it. I re-set the bevel without tape with a Shapton 4k, then a botan grade Odori, followed by Mikawa mejiro and koma, then on to the tomonagura on the finisher, a Kato-era maruka from the good 'ol days.

Cheers, Steve

15. Brickman301

After cleaning and polishing. I honed this one earlier today. It was 1 of the razors I picked up last weekend. Set the bevel on 12 micron lapping film, then moved to the 5 &3 micron film. Then a few passes on the barbers hone and finished on the Sioux Quartzite Stone. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

I actually did some honing on Father’s Day. The new Dovo my wife got me had the factory edge, it shaved, but wasn’t great. Used the grey, purple, and fine grey Welsh slates, making a slurry with a diamond plate on each and thinning it out to plain water. Really refined the edge.
    14C554DD-CF2F-40C4-BC27-9D2F229FE595.jpeg

17. Arnout

Arnout Well-Known Member

A nickel plated 8/8 solingen on coticule.

[​IMG]

18. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Nice to see another Welsh Slate Stone user. What Diamond Plate do you use??

Keithmax and Arnout like this.
  19. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

IMG_1178.jpg

Feeling out the new stone with some other tomonagura and razors, this one is a TI Basic Black 7/8 with the C135 steel. I shaved with this razor this morning then refreshed the edge on this stone and tomo. We'll see if there's more smooth tomorrow!

Cheers, Steve

20. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

I have a super worn DMT course with almost no bite left. It makes a fast slurry.

Keithmax, Billyfergie and DaltonGang like this.